Has anyone seen the new Fenix PD32?

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I didn't post this with the specs handy, but I kind of thought the upgraded LED or emitter would be either a lot brighter or be more efficient and give even longer run times. Is the new emitter something that produces a better beam pattern? Thanks.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's only an extra 15 lumens which you will hardly notice.

EDIT: I have the XP-G R5 PD32. The New one has the XP-G S2. You may get a little more runtime on the lower levels but not much and sometimes getting the brightest emitter comes at a price, tint. I'm not saying you will get a bad tint but it has happened before with the newer emitters.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
It still uses the XPG, the same emitter as the PD30 and PD31. That's why there is not big improvement in the brightness or runtime.

The main difference is the UI, the forward clicky and the side switch.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
The current PD32 has the forward mode selector button, it sees like Fenix changed the LED. I just wondered what the differnce in the new and old are, and if there is a benefit to having one over the other. I would like to see someone compare the beamshots to see how the hotspot has changed and like you said, any tint difference.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current PD32 has the forward mode selector button, it sees like Fenix changed the LED. I just wondered what the differnce in the new and old are, and if there is a benefit to having one over the other. I would like to see someone compare the beamshots to see how the hotspot has changed and like you said, any tint difference.

I've owned a PD31 and now have the PD32 with R5. Beam shape is identical between them and tint is nice on my PD32. I'm liking the forward mode button BTW. There is a slight donut hole in the center of the hotspot but not bad in real world usage.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Thanks think2x, my LD22 has the darker spot as well. I can see it on a wall, but outside when you are looking at trees, grass, the road, you ont really notice it. They are nice lights.

Snareman

Enlightened
I've owned a PD31 and now have the PD32 with R5. Beam shape is identical between them and tint is nice on my PD32. I'm liking the forward mode button BTW. There is a slight donut hole in the center of the hotspot but not bad in real world usage.

So why do you like the mode switcher in the front better. Do you usually hold your lights in the old school method as opposed to with your thumb on the tail cap? I have a PD31 and kinda want the 32 but I'm not sure if I'll be annoyed at having to switch my hand position to change brightness

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you say S2 emitter? This tint is too greenish. Tip: get the older R5.

You're Welcome! Hehe!

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Is it a common trait for these newer S2 emitters to put out a greenish tint??? If so, I would rather get the current PD32 with the R5 emitter. I just read some posts here about the S2 emitters being green, but they were all older posts. Thanks for the clarification.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am bored about a LED development in wrong direction. Too much about getting highest possible efficiency and brightness but at the expense of the tint... :(

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
So why do you like the mode switcher in the front better. Do you usually hold your lights in the old school method as opposed to with your thumb on the tail cap? I have a PD31 and kinda want the 32 but I'm not sure if I'll be annoyed at having to switch my hand position to change brightness

I'm just tired of cycling the tail switch to change modes, the PD32 stays in one mode until you hit the side button. It works really well if you just want to signal someone with a few quick flashes to get there attention, like this past Friday night when me and the wife were catching and relocating skunks from our house and needed to stay quiet. If you try a few quick flashes with the PD31 or any other light with traditional mode cycling you wind up in who knows what mode when you are done.

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
Is it a common trait for these newer S2 emitters to put out a greenish tint??? If so, I would rather get the current PD32 with the R5 emitter. I just read some posts here about the S2 emitters being green, but they were all older posts. Thanks for the clarification.

I have an Olight M20 S2 Cree and the beam is a nice creamy white. I think in the early release of the S2 Cree are a sickly green.
My Olight M20 S2 Cree has no artifacts or donut holes. I think that Fenix is trying to eliminate the donut hole problem found in the center of the beam from the R5 Cree version of the PD32 to replace them with S2.

In real life and using for outside situtions, you can not see the donut holes. If you are a house inspector and relies on the light for indoors, then you may need the S2.

Not sure if the S2 will cut "throw" as compared to a R5 in a small light such as the PD32.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
If the S2 fixes the donut hole, actually shines just a bit farther like Fenix shows on their web site, and does not have a green tint, that would be great.

I think some people forget on these forums that some readers, and probably most of the general public, is not in "Tactical mode". Most people on this board are either there or close, and that's why they are searching for the better products. If I am at work I want an end button that I can momentarily torn on or put the light in constant on on high every time. A light that allows you to dim down at will is also nice. I also want to know that if I give a quick double tap, I am in blinding strobe. And those functions are fine for me at home as well, because I know the light. My wife and kids know most of my lights turn on and off at the tail cap. I think for the aerage consumer, the side mode button like Fenix and a few others probably use is nice. I also like my Fenix L22 for around the house and walks. I don't have to have the light on high all the time, and I know it wont go into strobe unless I put it there. Now with that said, I cant wait for the upgraded PD32 to come out :) You people got me hooked on something besides Streamlight and Surefire. Like a kid in the candy store, if I'm not careful I a going to get my hand slapped. :)