What if anything have I missed this year?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit- could be a short 2xcr123a or 2xaaa or especially long aaa too.

Anything come out in 2012 in the way of single cell aa or cr123a LED's <1" in dia. & >3.5" long, that are either single mode, or two mode by way of head twist?

I see some new small ones by fenix, without strobes no less, but they are cycle through modes unfortunately.

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened
If you haven't been following MBI's (matchbox instruments) beginnings in the "Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders" forum, you have missed a LOT.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you haven't been following MBI's (matchbox instruments) beginnings in the "Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders" forum, you have missed a LOT.

Oh yeah has that guy come out with anything new this year?

I followed his torpedo thread last year (even wrote the themesong for it), until he started drifting further & further from the originally proposed simple tighten-for-off design I was real excited about, to yet another independent selector ring wonder- with qtc no less.

:sick:

looks like maglight is finally coming out with an LED solitaire next month, which means sometime late next year. Was hoping for a AA e05, or AA sapphire, or something similar.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enrique put out the Mako (AAA progressive twisty /w ridiculous runtimes). He was talking about a AA version called the Orca but it sounds like that's been tabled for a while. He's currently doing his final run of Titanium 3-stage Aeon's.

Malkoff released a Nichia 219 version of his M61 that was very well received.

Steve Ku and Craig from Illumination Supply put out a much larger batch of 40DD's in stainless steel.

HDS released a rotary version of his light and upgraded all the emitters to XP-G.

Surefire discontinued darn near every one of the modular hosts in favor of high-output, sealed head replacements.

Sunwayman released the V10R, which has gathered a cult following and is a popular trit-modding platform.

Nitecore and JetBeam got into all kind of drama, but we still don't have a D10 Tribute 2012 edition to show for it.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thanks for catching me up so thoroughly.

Glad to hear enrique's back at it, because the orca is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Shame about sf, the fury was the last one I tried actually. Don't care for the diection they're headed. Do you by chance recall the name of the thread with the jb-nitecore drama?

archimedes

Flashaholic
edit- could be a short 2xcr123a or 2xaaa or especially long aaa too.

Anything come out in 2012 in the way of single cell aa or cr123a LED's <1" in dia. & >3.5" long, that are either single mode, or two mode by way of head twist?

I see some new small ones by fenix, without strobes no less, but they are cycle through modes unfortunately.

Oveready has had several custom emitter Peak runs (Logan & Eiger), including Nichia 119, Nichia 219, & Red XP-E ... :twothumbs

@calipsoii - excellent summary :clap:

Good to see you back around leon :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh yeah has that guy come out with anything new this year?

I followed his torpedo thread last year (even wrote the themesong for it), until he started drifting further & further from the originally proposed simple tighten-for-off design I was real excited about, to yet another independent selector ring wonder- with qtc no less.

:sick:

looks like maglight is finally coming out with an LED solitaire next month, which means sometime late next year. Was hoping for a AA e05, or AA sapphire, or something similar.

His Core Ti is shipping, the HF is available for order, and the Torpedo is nearing completion. No QTC.

tam17

Enlightened
Nice to have you around again, man!

I've been inquiring about LED Soli here on the forum month or two ago, and a fellow member shared some insider info - it is scheduled for release, but that will happen only after some more important (gov't) orders are completed. This company's unpredictability is predictable as always, arghhh :shakehead

Cheers

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, thanks everyone. I saw what I assume is an older version of the tk35 on sale for $75 on amazon. That kind of rekindled my interest, & figured i 'd check back in to see what was new while here.

Definitely excited about the upcoming solitaire & orca. I'll have to pay attention long enough to catch one of those.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
W O W.

I never got fully clear on exactly which of the 1/2 dozen companies/subsidiaries/distributors/(even a marriage?! Lol) mentioned are actually involved, or if dave actually ended up getting licensing fees from their sales,but wow did those threads deliver. Company reps getting busted out in the open here by info their own websites & everything.

And I JUST missed all that too! Hope they do the right thing & compensate the real inventor.