Walkie Talkies

hula

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a pair of these as they'd be handy at work. I've seen a pair ( Midland 7 mile )on ebay that claim to have a seven mile range ( over water ) yet they require a licence if used in the States. I don't know what the licence situation is here in the UK but I'd chance it, I mean how they gonna know?
I would only not consider these if they adversely affected emergency services frequencies but other than that I can't see any problems. Are there any particular makes and models that someone could recommend.

Hula.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
The radios you talk about are GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios that do require a license in the US for operation. I would check with your local communications commission on the useage of these devices.

All GMRS radios that I have seen support the FRS band (Family Radio Service) which is lower power (supposed 2 mile range) but does not require a license. Everyone is jumping on this bandwagon, so expect to hear some traffic--however, most radios can be set with a "code" (probably PL tones) so that only transcievers set to the same code will output the audio of the message. Otherwise the radio will stay silent. This should significantly reduce the audible traffic you hear.

I know that operation without a license can get you in big trouble with the FCC in the 'States. If there are regulations regarding GMRS radios in your area, I wouldn't chance it...I believe the license is relatively inexpensive and quite simple anyway.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, the authorities normally conduct 'inspections' or checks in a specific area if a licensed user calls in to complain about inteference on the frequency they are on. So, if the device you are using happens to be in the range of other licensed ones, and is causing inteference to someone else's licensed frequency, chances are the FCC (or equivalent in your country) would send out a mobile monitoring unit (but sometimes they can do it from a control centre too) to check out the inteference. They are usually able to zoom in on the user by triangulating the transmission source.

This is only from what I know over here, and may differ in each country... The best is like what JSWright suggested, check with authorities in your area, else you might end up with a hefty fine and confiscated equipment!!

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
If there are any active hams in your area they might report you (and help find you!). I too would recomend checking with authorities.
Where/how will you be using them? I got some cheap FRS radios and they were ok but now I have some Motorolas, they are much better. I know there are many people here that could give advice but more info on your proposed use would be helpful.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I to am looking at getting some walkietalkies, but have heard, that some of them, do not go as far as they say they do, like if you had ones that said they go 7 miles, actually only go 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, whats the deal with that, how can you tell if the ones you want actually are going to go as far as they say they can?.

Stefan

Enlightened
The distance issue is mostly line of sight, and based on how many antennas are maybe the length of your thumb, there's less radiating power. Now I suppose a more important question would be what conditions are in your working environment that would require that much distance? Maybe a secondary solution would be one of the newer cell phones that have walkie talkie functionality.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I know that Nextels phones have built in walky talkies, but would you have to have the phone hooked up, or would the walkie talkies, work anyway?

Tomas

Banned
The Nextel phones (or any of the others coming out with the "walkie-talkie' type service) are not really point-to-point service - the push-to-talk service still goes through the Nextel (or whoever's) cell sites to reach the other 'phone.

Think about it, a 0.6W max. power 'phone just WILL NOT reach nationwide, or even cross-town, without help ...

====

Oh, those "... up to seven mile range" things are not realistic since they require you to be line of site in the middle of Nebraska at 4AM with no interference to reach that far. Add a fluorescent light or a sheetrock wall or tall weeds between the two sets and th.y n. lo..er w..k t.a. .ell at ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hula

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I was going to use these 7 (cough) mile range walkie talkies primarily at work. I am an elecrtical contractor and most of our work involves exhibitions. So the walkie talkies would be used in noisy exhibition halls. Many other people already use such devices in these environments - they're just quicker, cheaper and easier than using mobile phones. I don't believe these particular models would transmit much beyond the grounds of the larger exhibition sites when used within the halls so I doubt any local Hams would notice. However I might not go so far as to purchase these 2w models in case they do for another reason. If I am working at say Birmingham National Exhibition Centre then I am right next to Birmingham International Airport. I'd hate to think there was a chance I'd interrupt any frequencies they'd use.
I might well opt for some Motorola lower range models just to err on the side of caution and see about a licence if its easy and cheap enough to warrant it.

Hula.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, you'd be pleasantly surprised with the Motorola FRS radios... I was on a hike in a big group once, and we were split into 3 groups while hiking up this hill. I was in the middle group with one ahead and one behind us. Initially we could not contact the group ahead cos we were in a valley, and they were in the next valley, and I could only contact the last group. But when we got to a peak, my unit was able to act as a relay station (sort of), as the group behind me could then get in touch with the ones that were ahead...
I couldn't really tell what the actual distance was then, but I'm guessing that the FRS'es will be able to go beyond 2 miles range, provided that there's a unit in between the other 2. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this....

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful with the units you buy. FRS and GMRS uses different channel frequencies in different countries. If you buy a US version you may cause harmful interference in the UK and draw the ire and scorn of the authorities. Otherwise, normal commonsense use should draw no one's wrath license or no.

The 7 mile (ahem) units should be of decent power and long antenna to punch through most blockades (walls, metal structures and what) to allow decent use in close quarters indoors. We use a pair in our machine shop and they work well over all the metal machinery when the wireless alarm system did not. I think they are "5" mile Motorola's and we use the .5 watt FRS channel, not the 1 or 2 watt GMRS/FRS channels.

SheetBend

Newly Enlightened
I worked in a semiconductor factory (lots of heavy cement walls & lots of electrical equipment) and the Motorola FRS worked very well.

FEMA is recommending that the local Fire Departments in their CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training and deployment use the FRS radios. We get about 1 mile range in a home track environment. It also works pretty good in our large in-door shopping malls.