Flashlight Lantern Conversion

kraghack

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,
I'm still relatively new here so I don't know if this is a common accessory, but I couldn't get any decent results from searching. What I'm looking for is some kind of tip for my flashlight (Klarus RS11) that can convert it into more of a diffused light lantern (e.g. useful at the table during camping, etc.)

Klarus sells diffusing filters but since they don't protrude out, the light is still emitted in a single direction which doesn't quite provide the lantern effect unless I hang it from something and have it pointing down on the surface. I figured, if there was a way to have a tip that looked more like a sphere, it would illuminate the entire surrounding area, even if the flashlight was standing upright pointing upwards.

Now that I describe it, I wonder if something like a simple ping-pong ball with a hole cutout for inserting the light would work. Anyone tried or purchased anything like this?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this isn't quite what you're asking for, but I use it all the time camping and like it because it's with me 24/7, and is directional so I can keep the light off to the side of my view with out wasting any illumination. One side a diffuser, the other a 90-degree reflector, with wire twisty-ties taped on back to fix angle.

clicky

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just experiment. Soon after getting a new light I start looking for a bottle cap that will fit the bezel. Ping-pong balls work well. I've found that the roller balls from empty roll-on deodorant bottles make a good diffuser for a tail standing light. Even laying a piece of white paper across the bezel works pretty good. No need to buy one.

Geoff

kraghack

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Well this isn't quite what you're asking for, but I use it all the time camping and like it because it's with me 24/7, and is directional so I can keep the light off to the side of my view with out wasting any illumination. One side a diffuser, the other a 90-degree reflector, with wire twisty-ties taped on back to fix angle.

clicky

That's pretty interesting. How do you attach it to the flashlight? And what did you use to create the surfaces?

edpmis02

Enlightened
My son broke a little table lamp whose shade that I used to shine my Quark HCRI into for a nightlight. I got an old top to a baby bottle, punched two holes into the side, then ran a twist-tie to lift the top off the lens. works pretty good.

Vesper

Enlightened
Tail-stand it and plop a ping-pong ball on top, either whole or partly sliced open. Also you can find a white wand diffuser and mod it to make it fit like the Zeno brand that Oveready sells..

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measure the head of the light and find a white plastic medicine bottle (that you probably already have in the house). Pain relievers and vitamin bottles work very well as diffusers. If the fit isn't perfect either use a file to widen the mouth of the bottle or wrap the head of the light with tape.

If you want to easily remove the tape try using a paper tape from the first aid aisle in your local grocery store or pharmacy since it tends to leave little or no residue (but experiment with it first to be sure).

lwknight

Enlightened
Tail stand the light and drop a tall plastic cup over it.
Even better find a cup that just fits over the light upside down and cut a hole in the bottom. Sit a glass of water on top of that.
Or a clear pop bottle full of water.

kraghack

Newly Enlightened
I decided to give the ping pong ball a shot, and the results were pretty satisfactory!

IMG_20120902_235644.jpg
IMG_20120902_235524.jpg
IMG_20120903_182722.jpg

I cut the hole in the ball slightly smaller than the circumference of the tip of the flashlight, so I have to massage it on (takes only a sec). The advantage is that it clicks very nicely into place in a groove where the strike bezel screws on to the head of the flashlight. The ball stays in place even if I tilt it down or swing it around. The diffusion is good too.

Last edited:

thatjeepguy

Newly Enlightened
Genius. I was actually wondering what would be a good way to accomplish this earlier this week! The only thing I wish is that it was something that could be shoved in a backpack and not be fragile. Something almost like half a ping pong ball filled with clear resin. Maybe I'll figure something out and post it!