Quick comparison: new Foursevens XP-G2 tints

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I see there's some concern here around the relative cool white tint of the new XP-G2 (XP-G Gen 2) emitters used by Foursevens.

I have just received a pair of XP-G2 equipped lights for a review (what can I say, it takes awhile for snail mail to reach us up here in Canada :rolleyes:). I am afraid it will be a few weeks before I can get full reviews done, as I will be away most of the next couple of weeks.

But I wanted to reassure folks here that my two samples are perfectly normal cool white tints. I would rate both as on the cooler end of "cool white", one with a slight pinkish hue. Both are perfectly acceptable as standard cool white. :)

Photographing beam tints is not a trivial task. I have discussed some of the issues in this earlier Foursevens comparison. To put it simply, your eye and brain do a lot of dynamic processing for normalizing white balance - a camera is limited to single specific color temperature.

Choosing the "right" color temp setting for the camera is not simple, as most only have a limited set of options. Actually, it is more like "right" is not possible at all for comparing beam tints - how do you choose one temperature to compare one or more lights of differing (but highly specific) individual color temperatures? One (or more) lights is likely to lose out in that comparison, due to arbitrariness of whatever reference white balance you choose for the camera.

One way around this is to compare a wide number of lights simultaneously, and let the camera "auto" choose the best overall composite WB. In practice, I find this the simplest solution.

For the picks below, I grabbed a dozen random XP-G lights from my collection that take 14500 or RCR, and set them in groups of four with my two XP-G2 review samples. In each case, the XP-G2 lights are in the middle of each row. All lights on max.

XP-G2-Beam-Auto003.jpg

XP-G2-Beam-Auto002.jpg

XP-G2-Beam-Auto001.jpg

Again, I did no pre-selection for tints in the comparator lights - they are literally just the first ones I grabbed. I think you will see that the XP-G2 lights are well within a normal range for "cool white". :cool:

That said, they do seem to toward the cooler end of the acceptable "cool white" range (i.e., it has historically been more common to find yellow or green tinted samples, as you can likely see in the comparator XP-G samples above).

For those who are worried that these lights are "blue", here's a comparison to some true blue-tints: a handful of 5mm keychain lights.

XP-G2-Beam-Auto004.jpg

Clearly, the Foursevens XP-G2 are not "blue" in the traditional sense. Note that for this comparison, I ran the Foursevens samples on Lo to better match output. This led to some slight warm tint-shifting (common on current-controlled lights, as they are being run at lower currents). The auto WB also had more difficulty with the range of tints here (i.e., all four of the 5mm seem blue in real life, but some have a fair amount of yellow as well - which seems be preferentially picked up by the auto WB here). :shrug:

Long story short, my two XP-G2 samples are within the acceptable range of standard "cool white" emitters, although both are toward the cooler end of that spectrum.

You will have to be patient for a few weeks while I work on the full reviews in-between other commitments. :wave:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a bunch of XP-G R5 flashlights and also examined various units of the same model (brand, flashlight model). there is great variation in tint, i.e. CW greenishness!, even among the same production series or batch. Very interesting. Therefore it is very helpful to sort out those units of one's flashlight collection which are 99% perfectly pure white on Hi-mode (Klarus MiX6) and those which are greenish on first sight without comparison lights (Quark X); these 2 serve then as reference lights. Then any other light will fall in between, logically. And from my tests there is a wide range of levels of CW greenishness.

There is no reason to believe that the new XP-G2 are extraordinary in tint performance. In the OP's photos the tint looks like something which could have been produced by a XP-G R5 too.

selfbuilt if you plan to experiment more with such comparative tint beamshots, please always include as reference light the Klarus MiX6. All units of this model seem to have consistently the same great tint: premium pure white.

Poll: Did you ever own a greenish Preon/Mini/Quark/Maelstrom?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There is no reason to believe that the new XP-G2 are extraordinary in tint performance. In the OP's photos the tint looks like something which could have been produced by a XP-G R5 too.
Yes, my two XP-G2 samples are unremarkable compared to the rest of the XP-G family I've seen. Honestly, I would not have thought to post this thread if I hadn't logged in here and CPFMP and seen the concern raised. My two samples fall within what I consider a "normal" range based on my experience with XP-Gs (which, it is true, seem more likely to deviate into the greenish-yellow range of cool white).

selfbuilt if you plan to experiment more with such comparative tint beamshots, please always include as reference light the Klarus MiX6. All units of this model seem to have consistently the same great tint: premium pure white.
I don't know if any one model can be relied upon to be consistent in tint (unless they guarantee a specific tint bin on all production runs - and I've never seen a manufacturer do that).

In my case, my MiX6 is good cool white, but it does have some slight purplish tinging in the outer spill beam, and a slight yellowish tinging in the corona/inner spill. Overall effect is perhaps on the slightly cool side of a typical premiun cool white tint bin.

This raises another point I didn't get into in my original post - the the output of a light is rarely perfectly uniform in tint across the entire beam path. Depending on the reflector design and precise alignment, it quite common to get warm green-yellow tint shifting in the corona (versus the hotspot and outer spill).

jcw122

Enlightened
Yuck...I wanna get a new 4Sevens light for my friend so bad but I don't think I can give him a cool tint in good faith.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
@jcw122 if there not a flashaholic tint won't mean much to them. In my experience, everyone is wow'd over the coolwhite because of how it affects objects, washing out colour a little. That's a plus for the wow factor, yet if you gave someone a coolwhite led bulb for there house they'd think it was gross.
if you gift them a light every year, they may appreciate a NuetralWhite of warm white.

@Selfbuilt thanks for posting this thread, I always find what you post informative. HDS used to sell a GT model which stood for guaranteed tint. That's the only manufacturer I know that did that ;) I used to have one
18C7F618-9C21-43EC-884D-C92F14D5ED85-2568-0000012F256FA793.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I had forgotten about this thread ... it was just something I posted while preparing my review of those first two XP-G2 lights, to help quell some of the early concerns. In the absence of test samples, I find concerns can get heightened (and rumors fly pretty quick).

I've noticed a similar process for the first round of XM-L2 lights. I've tested a number so far, and again see no evidence of a tint bias. If anything, I am seeing less initial variability than was typical among the early XM-L lights (i.e., my XM-L2 seems to be in a more consistent narrow range of "typical" cool white so far).