Good purpose for owning a light?

Tiresius

Enlightened
I honestly don't believe in the zombie apocalypse crap...It's a mere coincidence that people behave in this way. These behaviors happened thousands of years ago and we make it seem like it's a new phenomenon.

I would never prepare myself with lights. I've had someone comment me about my light preparation for that day. It upsets me--especially in church. I chose not to reply but it never washed out of my mind.

I bought my lights because of my drive to have bright objects and conquer my fear of darkness. I've said it many times and it's true--I have a huge fear of the dark...especially alone in the woods or 50yds away from the guy ahead of me. It's the injuries, spiders and not being able to see that scares me to death. I always carry a light with my and a spare in my car just in case it gets dark. I'm actually quite happy with my Eagletac D25LC2 as it destroys the dark.

Some of the other lights...I just like to keep around for impressing others. I love how maglite users watch in awe as I show them mines.

What do you guys buy lights for?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're shiny :)

...and I go geocaching at night, sometimes in scrubland. The more lumens the better! They're useful tools. Seeing inside equipment I'm repairing is one example. Getting around in the house at night without tripping over something and waking my kids/wife is another.

chenko

Enlightened
To do others good: wildlife and straydogs rescue in my case. Plus, to be prepared if power-outages occur, and to go on trips where no light is provided except the one you bring (say, camping, trekking, car trips etc...).

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a flashlight would make you more of a target in a Zombie whatever event. I use lights to make my day more productive and longer. Darkness won't slow me down or end my day early.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
My 2 main reasons (aside from any SHTF or zombie apocalypse stuff)

- to keep in my car if I break down and need to see what's going on, especially at night. But I also use it during the day if I need to look under the car, under the dash, or under the hood.

- to keep in my house if we lose power, which has happened a few times this year, the last one going on for 30 hours in my neighborhood/city in LA county, so you really appreciate having a good light at that time.

IMO, lights are tools that are worth getting and paying for, even if they're rarely used. It's better to have and not use, rather than not have and need it (I say the same about other things too, like firearms & knives).

lwknight

Enlightened
Lets see, to find things in the unlighted areas, to see what I'm doing, to see where I'm going, to avoid snakes, to investigate the barnyard or field, to search the field for vermin and finally to impress non flashaholics.

Long power outages are a possibility anywhere and oil lamps are really inconvenient to carry around .

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I picked up the night shift at my job and after a couple months had an incredible desire for something better than the streamlights they gave us.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
For me theres several reasons. In general i believe in being prepared. I edc a conservative but well thought out array of things that either make my everyday tasks easier or are things that are of such great value in the event you need them that in my mind it makes them worth having such as a firearm. My light and folder i use many times a day for random tasks. Having a light source of some sort just makes sense because it can make many everday tasks easier.

Another reason i carry a light, especially a high end light is because i love gadgets! I also really appreciate functional art, whatever form it takes be it a knife, light, car, whatever.

One if the most important reasons i carry a light is my job. I use my light an incredible amount at work. Im a paramedic in a service that covers several towns from a very urban city to very rural low population areas. Having a good light is invaluable whether it be searching vacant houses or woods for patients. Ive also cone to live hi cri for the value of accurately being able to see a patients skin color which shows many things about their condition.

Anyway thats my rant. I love having flashlights and feel completely naked without one. I cant imagine ever not having a light on me at all times. Thanks for reading my rant!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do Electrical work and sometime work in very low lit areas. I also lately have been relocating a family of skunks from my house to a better location, 3 related and 1 or 2 left with zero sprays. :sweat:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I guess if I had an average interest in lights I'd have one in each car, a couple more in the house, and maybe a one or two for work. That's all I'd really need. But, I happen to enjoy finding new ones, so all the rest are just for fun. :)

Geoff

fyrstormer

Banned
I own a flashlight so I can see in the dark.

Half your life will be spent in darkness -- more than half, if you live or work in a building of some kind. Artificial lighting is handy when sunlight isn't available. What other tool has the potential to be continuously useful for literally the majority of your life?

Last edited:

Korgath

Newly Enlightened
A light is a tool / hobby / item a person might want to own for the purposed I just mentioned. If you dont see a purpose of owning a flashlight, you probably dont need one or have not been enhlightened with the multiple uses it can have :)

The most obvious is for using at night where lighting is unavailable, use in case of power cuts or people doing inspections in dark places such as LEOs and stuffs like that.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a flashlight so I can see in the dark.

Half your life will be spent in darkness -- more than half, if you live or work in a building of some kind. Artificial lighting is handy when sunlight isn't available. What other tool has the potential to be continuously useful for literally the majority of your life?

That and if you consider sight your primary sense, then having a device that enhances that is like having a super power.

arkan

Newly Enlightened
Because it's fun!!! and sure being prepared is great way to justify spending money on it :)