SureFire LX2 problem

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I've been a fan of SureFire flashlights for years. Owned a lot of them. Never had a problem. I live out in the country and rely on flashlights for many chores and just walking around outside at night. I bought a LX2 Lumamax and have enjoyed the compact size and two-level brightness very much.

However, it has stopped working reliably. Suddenly, without warning, the tail switch doesn't turn on the light and then, mysteriously, it will work again. SureFire sent me a new tail switch, but the same pattern occurred again. It was suggested that something is building up on the threads and is preventing a good connection. I cleaned off the threads and it seemed to work better, but the problem keeps coming back and this last time cleaning the threads didn't help.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you clean the threads at both the tail and the head? Are your batteries old? If so, try putting new ones in.

You can also try using a paperclip or other metal object to check if there is a connection problem in the head, or the tail -- remove the tailcap and connect the threads to the negative plate on the battery and see if the light works or not (it will come on high since the resistor is in the tailcap). If the light has trouble working this way, the problem is not in the switch.

Also, make sure your tailcap is tightened down where it should be -- my A2L (same tailcap) has trouble if it is backed off too far.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try what cland72 said, then if you still have problems get an RMA from Surefire. They will send you a new light.