Olight X6 - plastic smell

LightNightLight

Newly Enlightened
As much as I love my X6 lumen-wise I don't know if I can get used to the terrible plastic smell it emits. I might be a little squemish about it, but I can smell it on my hands even after washing them twice with soap.

Can any of you who own this light for a longer time now please let me know if this will get better over time?

I really wish they would have used better materials. From the cheap plastic connector to the rubberized finish. I mean this is supposed to be their top product, the most expensive light they got, yet it feels cheap and stinks!

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to think that is squeamish, I would have the same feeling too if my $500+ light smells like cheap plastic and bad enough that my hand smells afterwards.

I was thinking of buying one but like you said, all that plastic turned me of

loquutis79

Enlightened
I am guessing that it is rubber that you speak of on this Olight, I don't know the product.

Working in the plastic molding industry, I can say that plastic once molded and cool to room temp. does not smell. Rubber? Well thats different. When we run a job which requires injection grade rubber I end up with a headache that lasts all day. The smell is terrible and you can smell it anywhere in the plant. I can still smell it on me after a shower at home after work for a while.

Rubber = smell bad!

The smell you notice will probably lessen over time. Eventually you will need to really press your nose up to it to notice the smell at which point it will no longer be transfering to your hands.

I believe the smell has a half life of around 24,000 years.....oh, wait. Thats plutonium. :]

It should go away in a few weeks. Depends how often it is used/handled, etc.

LightNightLight

Newly Enlightened
I believe the smell has a half life of around 24,000 years.....

Haha, you got me with this one. I was instantly like: Ok, this thing goes back tomorrow! Thanks for the explanation. Thanks KuanR, too.

I really would like to hear from some of you guys who have this light in use for several months now. Does this unpleasant smell disappear? Anyone?

Last edited:

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Haha, you got me with this one. I was instantly like: Ok, this thing goes back tomorrow! Thanks for the explanation. Thanks KuanR, too.

I really would like to hear from some of you guys who have this light in use for several months now. Does this unpleasant smell disappear? Anyone?

I've had mine a while now and have no complaints at all. Sent the first one back because of excessive induction whine but no problems with the anything else. There is no smell that I can detect.