got my E2E washer today

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fumbled with it for awhile and finally got it down on the ledge past the threads, then tried to put my clip on which wasn't happening cause the washer was sticking out too far. what a piece of crap i thought. looking back i think i should have put my clip on first, then washer, then o-ring.
rolleyes.gif

in removing the washer i didn't want to "fool" with it so i just pryed it off breaking it at the same time sent it sailing across the room.
grin.gif
oh well.

i called sf today and got the other "fix" mentioned in the other thread. was told they're out of washers and the new fix, whatever it is, and sf will send me the new fix when they come in. ok, i'm not going diving with my E2E so i think i'll survive. little disapointed though, the washer didn't look like a very good idea. even moreso when you consider the problems it caused in some lights not working.

sf advertises the lamp changeouts are quick and easy, or they used to, even in the dark. not if you have to line up some stupid washer or whatever thing they're sending me. again, i dont' dive with my lights but i hope i never drop them in a puddle or get caught in the rain.

rant:eek:ff
winkie.GIF

nihraguk

Enlightened
i think a redesign of the E2e is in order...they should have a groove milled into it for the O-ring to sit in ala their other 2-cell lights that use P60 or P61 lamp assemblies.

anyway the E2e which i had never leaked through the O-ring...it leaked through the lens seal. if you lube the O-ring sufficiently the bezel won't have enough friction to push the O-ring into the clip cut-out. i also recall darell posting that he took his E2e swimming and it didn't leak, so you should be fine
smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
tkl,
The washer resides behind the O-ring and next to the clip. The clip needn't be removed and once installed, the washer is held captive so replacing batteries or LA wouldn't require any fussing or concern with the washer.

I suppose hind sight is always 20-20 and with a bunch of E(x)e series already out there, SF probably is stuck with compatibility issues. That said, starting from scratch, I'd like to see a simple fat O-ring that gets compressed between the lens and a seat in the reflector. This should seal the front of the bezel, no problem. In the bezel to tube joint, I agree with Nihraguk that the bezel should have a skirt that covered the O-ring completely and gave you a bore seal instead of the current partial bore/ face seal. Further, I would like to see the pocket clip mount milled in the tail of the E(x)e, just forward of the tail cap O-ring. You would retain a bore seal on the tail cap and have bezel down storage. In fact, I would actually prefer the clip mounted to the tail cap itself but the fact that the clip would rotate with the cap would probably bother most folks. I have done some mods where this is the case and I don't find this a problem. Another advantage to the clip on the cap is if a cap without clip were offered, those not wanting the clip could have the option and the light would look finished without it. (Like an E2e bezel on an E2 body)

- Don

ygbsm

Enlightened
I agree with both Don fo SF President and the modifications, in particular design changes to get the bezel down carry.

I also like having the lanyard mounting placed so that the bezel points down when the flashlight is hanging (this probably is also achieved using the M2 clip) -- that way in a pinch if you need both hands free, you can hang the light from your neck and have the light go in a more useful direction than in your face.

Latest posts