4sevens new XP-G2 (20% Increase) lights? Anyone contemplating a purachase?

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
4sevens is re-releasing some of their older lights with improved XP-G2 leds. Anyone thinking of getting any? I've got a quark X 2AA and i'm pretty happy with it so i'm just going to sit tight... for now. heh

Lucciola

Enlightened
I'm not planning to get one of those as my priority is always tint over output.

I have one XP-G R5 Quark low-voltage head and one Preon 2. All my other 4​7​ lights are neutral and warm which I prefer. Therefore my cool white models mostly serve as backups or loaners if someone from my familly asks me for a good light.

In addition the notorious green S2 offering is still in my mind so I'll hold tight to my $$$ until I find some confirmation about the tint quality of the new LED.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt says they're fine:

XP-G2-Beam-Auto001.jpg

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm willing to give them another try. The photos of those tints by Selfbuilt look pretty good.
I'd like a Mini-AA, so maybe I'll take a try of one of them.

I'm not a terrible tint snob, as long as they don't get too far from normal white.
I don't want a blue beam, but I'm fine with things on the cool side because of the higher output.
I'm also ok with things on the neutral side, but I definitely don't want one of those yellowish brown "warm" beams.

Pretty simple really. Just make them white. Skip the colors, unless you're selling a colored light.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
arent the tint bluish?

Looking at that Selfbuilt photo of the beams, they look pretty white to me. A decent cool white tint like is seen fairly commonly, and is usually acceptable.

At least it's not that ghastly yellow that some people call "warm".

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at that Selfbuilt photo of the beams, they look pretty white to me. A decent cool white tint like is seen fairly commonly, and is usually acceptable.

At least it's not that ghastly yellow that some people call "warm".

If yellow is warm, what color is neutral?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few XP-G2 and the tint is fine. I think some of you are worried because you may have experienced he dreaded green tints of the early XP-G S2 and S3. I know I was a victim.

It is a lot better than my older XP-G S2.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If yellow is warm, what color is neutral?

White.

Generally, about 5000k - 5500k is white, with some leeway on both ends, depending on the person. I can tolerate some leeway either way.
To me, the yellow(warm) is just as distorted and ugly as the blue or purple or green.

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
Discussing XP-G2 tint without mention of the tint bin...? ( most flashlight manufacturers don't spec the tint bin).
If you want the neutral white XP-G2, may have to wait a few more months for them to show up in the supply chain.
I'm looking forward to using this led for it's lower Vf and better efficiency (edit: over XP-G), and smaller die than the XM-L.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am happy that 4Sevens has a close and cordial working relationship with Cree, and hope that it continues. And it must eat up the 4Sevens team to see the copycats ride their coattails.
But the xp-g2 is a nice evolutionary upgrade. Nothing out of the ordinary, and the rest of the market should have it before the year is out.

It would be something if 4Sevens went back and adjusted the circuit drive levels so that, instead of ~20% more output-which you can't see [maybe the smaller apparent size of the xp-g2, which increase lux, you might see that] how about same output for markedly increased runtime? That would be something worth acquiring ASAP.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G2 is a little better than you might think. If you are familiar with the Armytek Predator and Maelstrom G5, then the XP-G2 will surprise you. I kept one with the older R5 and directly compared it to the XP-G2. The output is considerably noticeable and the lux is amazing.

Armytek Predator R5 17k Lux
Armytek Predator XP-G2 30k Lux

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Great feedback & opinions! I'm seriously rethinking my holding off on them now. Like MichaleW said though, i await selfbuilt's review. They sure look promising. I once had a xp-g s2 (notice the past tense), but because of the tint, i was very put off. Glad to see the xp-g2 people have been getting are much better.