Lost a loved one, lesson learned.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to keep this on the shorter side guys..

Last week I remember using my Zebralight H502 Thursday night while I worked. I went for it tonight and it wasn't where I keep it. I thought back and remember being in quite a rush Thursday at the end of the night. I was breaking some very serious rules (with good reason) regarding my line of work and needed to leave a job site ASAP. We are required to be out of splice enclosures by 6AM to avoid creating an impact on active circuits during peak communications hours. In an effort to restore services somewhere, I had pushed the envelop just a bit. I finished up, packed up, and got out of there.

I remember sticking it in my laptop bag because of time. I checked my laptop bag. Sure enough, the compartment where I stuck it was unzipped. I may have left it that way, or the zipper may have snagged on something in my rush. It's more likely I just left it opened planning to stick more stuff in there but never did. I drove back out to that work site (basically a Walmart parking lot near the street where the power lines were) and nothing. Searched every inch inside my truck, between my truck and my front door, inside my home, etc. Yeah, it's gone.

Someone out there got very lucky and probably has no clue. The real stinger is that my Fiancee' and I are trying to get into a mortgage while the market is favorable. I spent ENTIRELY too much looking for my favorite lights in the past 7 or 8 months since finding CPF and have promised not to spend more before we get a home (which is a good while away still). Of the 4 expensive lights I had, the 502 was about the cheapest and used the most. I even have a spare mount for it on my hardhat; sometimes I used it in the headband, but every night I used it in my hardhat while I worked up in the air. I'm thinking about selling my TK41 to buy another 502 (I can always use my TK70 almost anywhere I used the TK41). Later I will replace the TK41. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one :)

Basically, my message to you is this: A month or so ago I saw a similar thread. I felt for the person who lost the cherished light and noticed a post suggesting a printout inside the battery tube. I ignored it thinking I wouldn't lose my lights. I will be printing and laminating slips later today that contain my phone number and a message for a handsome reward if found. I'd gladly pay someone $40 cash to recover my beloved 502 next time. I know it may sound like overkill, but if you use your lights out and about, I doubt you will ever regret sticking a little note inside your battery compartment. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a scare recently where I though I'd lost my much loved Kerberos triple High-CRI dropin. I'd even emailed Kenji to see if he could replace it for me even though they're out of production.

Fortunately, a few days later I found it... and was very very pleased.

I feel for you!

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Awesome that you found it! It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's a lot less fun than I expected, that's for sure. I figure if I can save one person by helping them create the means to recover one light...All is well that ends well.

sadboy

Newly Enlightened
When you're a flashaholic, losing any beloved flashlight is always painful. I lost my Quark MiNi AA Titanium some time ago. The thing that stings the most is that you develop particular memories with a flashlight, and you don't know where it ends up. But, I hope you replace your H502, since it's worth replacing and they're still available for purchase.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
When you're a flashaholic, losing any beloved flashlight is always painful. I lost my Quark MiNi AA Titanium some time ago. The thing that stings the most is that you develop particular memories with a flashlight, and you don't know where it ends up. But, I hope you replace your H502, since it's worth replacing and they're still available for purchase.

I really couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't have this thing very long, but I put some serious hours in with it. It was actually the first light to convince my Fiancee' of the value of expensive lights. I waited over a week to show her because I thought I'd be in trouble for buying it, but she played with it literally for hours and actually appreciated it. That night we went out and bought a pack of Energizer Lithiums because she wanted to see the light at its fullest potential. She especially loved the GITD reflector. I kinda thought it was gimmicky and it would never benefit me. It benefited me in a way I never imagined that day. She said an H502 would make an ideal gift for her brother. That night was a bit of a turning point for her that I doubt I will ever forget. I knew my addiction wasn't so dreadfully hated anymore. The night your significant other almost embraces a hobby of yours is an awesome night. I will certainly be replacing the light as soon as I decide how to free up the funds to do so.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man I think many of us know how you feel, go over to the Marketplace and look for one and if no dice post a WTB add. I have many light's but my biggest fear when it comes to my collection is me losing my H501, although I mostly just use it on my property inside or outside my house I've lost them before at home. I have two but I don't think they are being made anymore, I bought the second one right after I figured out it is my most used light and probably my favorite besides the SC600.

What I do is once I find I light like the 501 that I absolutely love I buy another right away, I've been stuck before without my favorite light and no budget to buy another so now I don't wait I buy the second as soon as I can.

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
If you use something that much at work, and to help stay safe. Find a way to replace it. I'm an electrician, and won't let my Nitecore d10 out of my sight. There are other lights. But when you find the one that works for you, it's hard to see how to get along without it. Thats why I bought spares.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will most definitely be getting a spare. I was already on the verge of it before I lost mine, I just didn't want to spend the $$$ given the circumstances. I was tired of taking it out of my hardhat to put it in my headband and vice versa. It slowed me down and wore out the little holders.

I will be replacing it, and you guys nailed it, I need a second one. It won't be long either. I have a large bonus coming my way in the next couple weeks. Once it rolls around I'll probably buy 2. one for me and one for a later Christmas gift for someone else. Then if I lose one between now and Christmas...You know..

I will also post a WTB on the marketplace once the funds are there to back it up. They haven't popped up for sale over there much as I searched. It seems people hang on to them. I see why. If nobody bites on the WTB I'll just grab up a 3rd. My TK41 and TK70 made me wonder how I went so long without them at work in situations of distance. This was the first headlamp that I actually found good enough to use. I've had some, but nothing like this. Nothing I always wanted strapped to my head. It's amazing how a light can become a friend. These quality lights are truly something unique and I'm very glad to have found CPF and all the great products and suggestions that have come from you guys! Thanks!

Last edited:

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I lost a mint condition surefire e1e I bought NIB on a serious discount from a local uniform shop. It was (I think) lost in the rail yard I work in. My co-worker and I spent a good hour walking and re-walking the area where I thought I had lost it to no avail. It was the most painful moment of property loss I have ever experienced. If only I had known about the slip inside the body....