Licensing and tech buyouts by maglite, or lack thereof.

P

Pete Kazanjy

Someone in another post on Maglite made the seemingly out of this world claim that Maglite doesn't buy outside tech. They either make it in-house, or don't incorporate it. Further, the claim that they litigiously pursue companies that make after-market items for use in their lights was also made. Does anyone have personal experience with this? It seems far-fetched from a business perspective, but one never knows. Thoughts?

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the claim about in-house invention and third party replacement parts (not the litigation part though). From my perspective both these claims are hearsay and I have edited my original post to make that explicit. I find I am very interested in finding out if these claims are true as well. I was trying to express my opinion that an end user's options are limited when trying to make a change to a Mag and I did not think twice about the two statements until I was challenged by Pete. Thanks Pete.

I will try to do a web search to find out where I read these statements but even if I do succeed they would still likely be hearsay unless they come from maglite.com. Edit - So far I have had no luck with my web search.

Edit - Actually maintaining control on who can market maglite replacement parts makes sense to me from the perspective of quality control (not to mention income). Of course I was thinking of stippled/textured/statistical reflectors and other unique replacement parts.

Yet another edit - I removed these statements from my original post because I can not find a reference to substantiate them (not to mention that I was not very clear on what I was trying to say - in other words I was shooting my mouth off
twak.gif
). Just to clarify though: I did not make a claim on after-market items. My claim was on 'marketing replacement parts'. I think that is a totally different beast.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Has Mag Instrument started pursuing Opalec, Inretech et al regarding their after market modifications for Maglite's flashlights?

And I suppose Nite-Ize is a subsidiary or wholly owned company of Mag Instruments, since they make or at least market accessories for Maglite's range.

nihraguk

Enlightened
Onyx: i can't imagine if mag started going up against opalec or inretech. its because of those companies that people here are buying their lights! maglite makes fine products but i cannot agree with some of the things they do to their competition, except for genuine cases.