Modder's opinion on Arc AA

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Modder\'s opinion on Arc AA

After a long wait, the first Arc AA that Kenji sent me for LS modding arrived at my door step. Here are my initial impressions from a modder's point of view.

Here is the business end of Arc AA:

AA2.jpg

After removing the foam ring, we can see the circuit board is only about Arc AAA-sized, which appears to be surrounded with a rather thick (2.5mm) wall.

AA1.jpg
AA3.jpg

The crimp seal is not as neat as the old Arc AAA. We can clearly see a miss pressed section in this image. This should be individual problem, though.

The disassembling process is very similar to that of Arc AAA. After prying open the crimp seal and a dunk in liquid nitrogen, the electronic part can be knocked out.

AAA-AA1.jpg

AAA-AA2.jpg

It is shocking to see that the AA "plug" is actually shorter than the AAA "plug", which means there is even less space for modding in Arc AA head than in Arc AAA head---a big disappointment from a modder's point of view. The much smaller space than that of an Infinity head means there is no room for a decent heat sink, and no room to use the much bigger components that I used to push the current higher in this Infinity mod. The maximum battery draw attainable would be at most the same as in an Arc AAA mod, i.e. 600-700mA, limited both by the capacity of the components and the heat sinking conditions.

One good thing Peter did was the curviture of the bezel---it fits the NX-05 contour nicely.

AAA-AA3.jpg

The diameter of Arc AA is slightly less than that of Infinity, so the chopped-down NX-05 that sits flush in an Infinity bezel actually protrude a little.

AAA-AA4.jpg

I don't have a completed mod yet to show the beam shots and compare the brightness, because I have to re-wind the Toroid inductor with a smaller core in order to squeeze things into that much smaller-than-expected space. I should have the first light within the next couple of days.

I expect that the AA mod will be brighter than an AAA mod even if the current draw is the same, because the NX-05 optic is more efficient than a half acrylic ball. But it will not be anywhere near the Infinity mod level.

In conclusion, Arc AA is an OK platform for LS mods, but it would have been a lot better if Peter had left more space in the bezel.

<font color="green">The much shorter "plug" size also hinted there is likely some change in the circuit, which in turn explains why people feel an Arc AA is brighter than an Arc AAA. My guestimate would be that Peter removed the Tantalum capacitor that used to sit on the LED leads and used a smaller-sized ceramic capacitor on the PCB. This substitution reduced the ESR and should result in a slight but notable increase in efficiency (and thus brightness). </font>

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modder\'s opinion on Arc AA

<font color="blue"> LED mods As Small As Possible </font> , Thank you for this informative and fascinating report as well as your report on modding the Infi Ultra. It explained things I've noticed in comparing my Arc AAA, AA and Infi Ultra.

My hat's off to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'd be dangerous enough with a soldering iron...but give me some liquid nitrogen and I would be certain to spazz out and spill it, probably right on my lap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BC

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be any easier if you used the MJ micro convertor? i Understand that its the same diameter as an AAA battery.
Regardless, when my ARC AA arrives, itll be sent to you for tweaking. Your work is amazing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Kakster,

The MC is the approach that I am going to take on one of these.

- Don

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
The MC is the approach that I am going to take on one of these.
- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This'll be cool.

BC

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

The MJ converter on sale at the Sandwich Shoppe is too big to fit in the bezel cavity. I know he has a smaller version that is the same size as a bare LS emitter, but don't know when it will become available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The AA body is the same diameter as my CR2 lights- .70". On a whim, I bored and shortened one for a CR2. The head *is* short, but someone (from Japan, I think) already has made a dat2zip board/(sandwich?) fit. It *looks* as though a shortened custom .20" "sandwich" can be made to work, but some machining will definately be required. All in all, it's a nice place to start.

Larry

belyo

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
converter.jpg

In the left, it is board of ArcAAA, MicroConverter, SuperMicroConverter, LS emitter.
ArcAAA Board and MC are similar size. So MC may be just usable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

This tiny boards are far-freaking-out !

Hat off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif square

Klaus

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh... That's pretty amazingly small! How much current does the Super MC put out to the LS?

belyo

Newly Enlightened

Performance of SMC is equal with MC. In other words about 150mA flow into LS.

...ARCmania said so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif