PR McLux 1st impressions

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
Just finished my PR McLux head used an R2K and a downboy 500. This was my first "real" mod, other being changing the emitter in a KL1. Radioshack did'nt even have a fine point soldering iron or wire thinner then 22 gauge! but i got throught soldering the leads to the downboy with no issues, then glued the DB into the ecan and let sit overnight. This is probably a no no but i used JB Weld to glue in the DB. Rather then grind away the ecan where the "holes" for the leads are i just allowed the JB Weld to cover all the holes. Then I was getting ready to remove the R2K from the star and i noticed that on one tube of the JB Weld is says "steel" panic sets in.... is this crap a conductor? ahhhhhhhhhh. A quick visit to their website sets my mind at ease says it a great insulator.
Moved on to the emitter, desoldered it and got it off the star. lapped the underside and soldered it to the PM emitter board. Then trimmed off the tabs on the PM and got it to fit real nice in the PR head. Next day epoxy cured, soldered the ground wire to the ecan potted the ecan with AA and put it in the head.
Only problems came next, the 22 gauge wire was hard to bend into position to solder onto the PM board. Finally got it but lost some insulation off the leads, no sweat coated them generously with nail polish then AA. Put the benzel on crossed my fingers and hit it... Bright light and NO magic smoke. YEEEEESSSSSS
Anyway PR head is amazing WAY tighter beam then the LP Fraen and sidespill to boot!!!! Need to gather some funds to do this with a Lux III and a DB 750

Geoff

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geoff,

Just FYI, if you're really desperate for wire at ratshack, you've got two options. If you just need a little bit, buy a 5-pack of the 9-volt battery caps and just clip the wires off. If you need a lot, they have in the AV section a spool of 24-gauge "Rainbow wire." It's four wires glued together, with red, black, white, and green insulation. they come apare fairly easily with a hobby knife. I'm actually pretty impressed that you were able to build yours with the 22-gauge wire, that stuff is like the wire they use in coat hangers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, Geoff ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TD, I like your new photo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC