turboBB's 2012 Labor Day weekend camping shots (18 lights + 1 vid comparo)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to use the same format as the Memorial day thread (I'd strongly recommend reading this thread if you haven't already as it provides full details of the location). I was hoping that this would allow some cross-references between the lights in both threads since I didn't bring the same ones. The problem is that there wasn't any misting this time around (which was quite heavy back on M. day) and despite some light atmospheric dust and some flying insects, these shots are slightly overexposed using the same settings (f/2.8, 1", AWB, ISO 400 on Panny FZ150). It should still allow good relative comparo's for the lights I did bring this time around which were:

I unfortunately didn't get as much done since we didn't get the exact same spots as last year thus I couldn't do the close range shots and it started to rain towards the end of the beach shots but I did manage to squeeze in a video comparo though (down at bottom of thread). Where two cells use was possible (e.g. TN11S, NWK 550N3) I used that config instead as per chart above.

First the control shot at night (again, please read the M. day thread for details on location and daytime control shots):

And here are the lights in alpha order by mfg (most are newer ones sent for review after M. day and just for kicks, I decided to see how some AA lights would do and threw in an Fenix LD10 and Icon Link for reference).

APEX 5T6 (review)

Crelant 7G9 (review)

Crelant V9-T6 (review)

Fenix LD10 Premium Q5

FoxFury Breakthrough BT2 (review)

FoxFury Breakthrough BT3 (review)

ICON Link

NITECORE SENS AA (review)

NITECORE TM11 (v1.12)

Niwalker NWK 550N3 (review)

SPARK SP6 (review)

STANLEY "2000 lumens" FatMax Spotlight

Sunwayman T60CS (review)

ThruNite TN11S (review)

ThruNite TN30 (review)

ThruNite TN31 (review)

XTAR S1 Production (review)

XTAR TZ20 (review)

Below is a video comparo of most of the above lights and a list in order of appearance. As mentioned in the video, please ignore all my comments re: over-compensation in the video, apparently that only happened on the LCD and was not actaully recorded in the video so there was no artificial increase in output caused by any video exposure compensation:

All in day's work... ;o)

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
:thumbsup:, As always! The TN31 is awesome, but you can't deny the value of the Stanley!
Thanks!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always surprised how the TN11 stacks up comfortably against bigger lights.

That FoxFury BT3 has a one TIGHT beam. It probably could be the crowning champion of 4xAA thrower category.

On the other hand... TN31 is just crazy. You should get saabluster's modified one and get a beamshot of that sucker, too.

sbbsga

Enlightened
Great work! Thank you very much!

Did the lumens outputs for Sunwayman T60CS get mixed up with T40CS' in the table?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all your hard work. It might be an idea to make this a sticky, as this has some very good up to date lights. I am really like the Xtar S1 production and Thrunite TN31.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice
I hope your family puts up with you doing these beam shots. I know my spouse isn't very understanding.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx guys! Still working on the vid and hope to have it up soon.

@enomosiki - as impressive as they are now, I've been told that with 18650's the BT series should be about 15% brighter or so

@sbbsga - good catch! I've updated the chart

@madecov - we went with friends again so I was able to sneak away for these shot but yes, my wife has been a champ about this ^_^

Ceya!

Newly Enlightened
I like how the TM11, T60CS and TN30 both floods and throws. SP6 is right up there.

Some good throwers, seems to hit that bush perfect like the FatMax and TN31.

S/F,
CEYA!

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Video now up in OP (ignore all comments re: exposure compensation, it only happened on the LCD).

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the table in the bottom most picture, what is that multiple battery holder thing with the black carabiner attached to it? Its towards the front of the table. It looks like its holding about 6 18650's or so..

Also, on a recent thread I read a couple posts where owners(?) of the SWM T60CS were saying the beam quality of the T60CS is much better than the TN30, and it does a better job of lighting up a wider area, etc. I own a TN30, and I have never seen the T60CS beam personally, but looking at your pictures the T60CS doesnt seem to have a much better beam. They seem pretty close to me, and the TN30 seems to be lighting up the cliff in the distance a bit better. Do you personally see a big improvement in the T60CS over the TN30 in beam quality?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean towards the right-side of the table next to the XTAR S1's head, that's a mini-LED lantern (uses 3 x AA).

The shots are slightly overexposed so it's masking beam artifacts somewhat but yes, the T60CS has a smoother beam whereas the TN30 has some artifacts in it but much better throw .

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Thanks soooo much for these reviews and videos. I have finally decided on the TN30 after a couple weeks of reading reviews and watching videos for hours on end.