Malkoff M60, M61 single or multi mode drop-ins? Can they work ok in Solarforce L2M?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot tell from the Malkoff website or Google searches whether the Malkoff M60 or M61 are single or multimode drop-ins.

I am thinking of using them in a Solarforce M2L host.

I am pretty sure they will work ok in that host.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe there is a better drop-in available for the L2M, if so please let me know?

I have two Solarforce L2Ms that I bought cheaply somewhere about a month ago and need to do something to make them come alive.

Any help is most appreciated.

CHEERS

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The Malkoff dropins are single mode.

While they are an excellent fit for SureFire hosts, they do not work well in SolarForce hosts due to the larger & wider 'well cavity' in the SolarForce bodies.

I have a couple of good pics of this but Photobucket appears to be offline at the moment. :confused:

Last edited:

TheCleanerSD

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff dropins are single mode.

While they are an excellent fit for SureFire hosts, they do not work well in SolarForce hosts due to the larger & wider 'well cavity' in the SolarForce bodies.

I have a couple of good pics of this but Photobucket appears to be offline at the moment. :confused:

I wouldn't exactly say that they "don't work well" in Solarforce hosts, you just need to wrap the dropin with foil or copper tape to snug up the fit.
Agreed they are a better stock fit for a Surefire host, but with a quick, cheap mod can work great in other hosts.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't exactly say that they "don't work well" in Solarforce hosts, you just need to wrap the dropin with foil or copper tape to snug up the fit.
Agreed they are a better stock fit for a Surefire host, but with a quick, cheap mod can work great in other hosts.

What about a Solarforce drop-in?

They have plenty of options on their website.

They have XM-L U2s with 1, 3 and 5 modes as their new lineup.

Solarforce also have T6s and XPGs as well.

What about quality and heat with Solarforce drop-ins.

Do Solarforce drop-ins have a good, meager or terrible reputation?

CHEERS

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I got a Malkoff M61 to work in my SolarForce L2P, but in addition to wrapping with foil, I needed to add a spring.
I simply got another SureFire for the Malkoff, and a different drop-in for the SolarForce.

I have replaced all of my SolarForce modules with something else now. I don't know what type of reputation they have, and none has failed on me. I just wasn't happy with the beam quality and tint for my uses.
I currently have an EDC+ off-the-shelf neutral XM-L in my P1, a vinhnguyen54 219 in an L2P, a NailBender neutral XM-L in another L2P, and a NailBender XR-E optic in an L2.
Each of these is available quickly, offers a tint and beam quality I am happy with (and, basically, specified,) multiple modes I selected, fits well, is quite to extremely bright, and I trust to remain reliable and dependable for years to come.
If you want something off the shelf, there are others, but I really like the EDC+ module.
If you can wait just a little while (under two weeks for mine), Wayne, Dave, and others build some excellent modules with all the features and specs YOU want, at less-than-Malkoff prices. If you let 'em know with light it's for, they can provide potting, foil wrap, and springs. That's the way I'd go.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Malkoff M61 to work in my SolarForce L2P, but in addition to wrapping with foil, I needed to add a spring.
I simply got another SureFire for the Malkoff, and a different drop-in for the SolarForce.

I have replaced all of my SolarForce modules with something else now. I don't know what type of reputation they have, and none has failed on me. I just wasn't happy with the beam quality and tint for my uses.
I currently have an EDC+ off-the-shelf neutral XM-L in my P1, a vinhnguyen54 219 in an L2P, a NailBender neutral XM-L in another L2P, and a NailBender XR-E optic in an L2.
Each of these is available quickly, offers a tint and beam quality I am happy with (and, basically, specified,) multiple modes I selected, fits well, is quite to extremely bright, and I trust to remain reliable and dependable for years to come.
If you want something off the shelf, there are others, but I really like the EDC+ module.
If you can wait just a little while (under two weeks for mine), Wayne, Dave, and others build some excellent modules with all the features and specs YOU want, at less-than-Malkoff prices. If you let 'em know with light it's for, they can provide potting, foil wrap, and springs. That's the way I'd go.

What is the best way of getting in touch with them to get a custom made drop-in?

CHEERS

TheCleanerSD

Newly Enlightened
What is the best way of getting in touch with them to get a custom made drop-in?

CHEERS

Check the "CPF's Custom & Modified Flashlights - Buy/Sell/Trade" section of the forums. Nailbender, vinhnguyen54 and others have sale threads there.