Lumen difference

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
About to get first Surefire (6P) with P60 lamp. Questions are as follows: Have past experience with Maglights (3D, 6D) with halogen lamps. How does the P60 compare to these, how about the P61? If I invest in the KR2 conversion kit does this change the lumens output/ run time? Started off ordering the SF 8AX system, but thanks to this forum discovered the problem with the B90 batteries.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P is one the most useful lights I own. I think it's much better than the Mags you mentioned. I also have a Mag 3D (in the car) and a 6D in the bedroom (good clubs). It's the perfect combination of size and power IMHO. The P60 will outdo the 3D for useful light, and the P61 will outdo the 6D for useful light, all in a pocket sized package. I would also highly recommend a tip off beamshaper and a belt holster with open top (V26). It makes for a very handy package that you will hardly notice on your belt. The KR2 lumen/runtime is posted on Surefire's website, I forgot the numbers. hth

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
While some great pics from user "fc-fire/rescue" in this post are for the 2-cell M2, it uses the P60 so the comparison with the Mag-lites might be helpful.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Combine the 6P with some kind of weapon for it to be useful. The Mag can be a dual use item (with flashlight being the secondary use), while the small fit-in-your-palm Surefire ain't gunna be much use to you whack someone over the head should the need arise.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you were interested in the rechargeable did you notice that the b65 battery conversion is available for the 6p? Unlike the b90, I've only seen posts reporting zero problems with it. The battery requires a kit that comes with the battery and a short extension for the body of the light. The kit is part KR2, and it's KR2-BK for the black-anodized light.

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
Primary reason for 6P is easier/smaller to carry than Maglight. A 3D mag is heavy, awkward and hard to hide. As to use of weaponry, if the beam does not paralyze them, the .40 hole on the end of my barrel should.

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
Does the KR2 conversion kit almost turn the 6P into a 8AX? Meaning that the extra length will almost duplicate the 8AX for length. Or are there other differences?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
The P60 will outshine a M*Glite 5D. It's impressive.

I didn't like the KR2 setup as it increased the size and decreased light output. Better off getting the 8NX or 8AX. The 6P's versatility is it's size vs output with a smooth white beam.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 8AX has 110 lumens for 50 minutes (on a good B90) iirc, (I have one, an 8X), while the 6P with rechargable conversion uses the 60 lumen P60 lamp. I'm not sure but I don't think you can use the P61 with the B65 battery stick. It used to require a separate lamp, but now it can use the P60 I believe. I'm sure someone here more knowledgable than I will provide more details. It's all on Surefire's website as well. the length and weight will be less than the 8X series, I think.

The 6P also has a good fit in a clenched fist, like a roll of quarters, not that I've used it that way yet, but just in case a situation hasn't escalated up to firearms level, it's good to know. A 6P with an A19 adapter, making it a 9P with 200 lumen capability, is a powerful deterrent also, and can be used as a kubatan with some training. The 6P is a very versatile platform, upon which you can customize for various needs as they arise. You can add an M2 bezel for shock isolation and weapons mounting. A 6P with an A19 adapter, P91 lamp, and M2 bezel with TID makes a good nighstand light for use with a firearm.

Actually, I really like my 8X too (with tipoff beamshaper) and I use it nightly to walk my dog. Trouble is, you have to change out the battery everytime before you use it.