Surefire suing Crelant yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks to me like Crelant is violating Surefires patent for the "Combat Grip" Or is that patent expired?

I'm referring to the new 7G5CS and 7G2CS. It appears the diameter in front of the Grip ring is smaller than the rest of the battery tube. That is specific to the Surefire Patent.

I see the Sunwayman T20CS has the same. Maybe the patent expired??

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the way everyone is copying everyone, i doubt there'd be any sense suing the companies. There will always be innovators and there will always be copiers. The trick there is to stay ahead of the pack and come up with innovations that sell. That way, when it goes get copied, you're already working on the next generation. :)

Kinda like how Intel finally killed the competition (AMD).

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. But "copying", and violating "patents" are entirely different things. In past history, Surefire has been very active in legal fights.

Ceya!

Newly Enlightened
With the way everyone is copying everyone, i doubt there'd be any sense suing the companies. There will always be innovators and there will always be copiers. The trick there is to stay ahead of the pack and come up with innovations that sell. That way, when it goes get copied, you're already working on the next generation. :)

Kinda like how Intel finally killed the competition (AMD).

Quiet, Apple may hear you. Too bad goes around, comes around.

S/F,
CEYA!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it seems that Surefire is indeed suing a Chinese manufacturing company. Too bad... tsk tsk tsk... if you can't beat 'em, SUE 'EM! (the Apple way) ahaha... (and have all their flashlights embargoed) haha...

nbp

Flashaholic
If company A steals ideas from company B and incorporates them into their designs, hasn't company B already beaten company A? That's why A took the ideas in the first place, right? :thinking:

jake25

Enlightened
If company A steals ideas from company B and incorporates them into their designs, hasn't company B already beaten company A? That's why A took the ideas in the first place, right? :thinking:
What if company A did it unknowingly? Or if the design idea is blatantly obvious it shouldn't be patented.

nbp

Flashaholic
You mean like if company B was one of the foremost premium manufacturers of a product in the world and yet company A had never seen B's products before nor had any way to research applicable patents before designing their product?

That would be an interesting situation indeed, were it the case.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Yeah they have seen it haha

What about the Solarforce tactical host? It even uses the same dropins

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah they have seen it haha

What about the Solarforce tactical host? It even uses the same dropins

Whoa! You're right! SureFire are you reading this!!! If this is the case then they could sue for patent infringement for the "metal tube w/ switch on one end and bulb [emitter] on the other end". Think of it, every light ever made is infringing on SureFire patents....

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know its really sad that Surefire has to resort to suing companies when said companies manufacture lights that totally blow surefire lights away!

Boo!

That's anti-consumer! anti-innovation!

The better thing they should do is to come up with better lights at good price points so as to sway consumers from going "Chinese brands".

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally disagree. Surefire has recently released some lights at a cheaper price point, like the Fury and 6PX/GPX lights. Surefire has never been about the latest and greatest and brightest. Surefire lights have quality that you will not get from Chinese lights. Most of us around here understand this. Price is a subjective matter. If something is not worth the price to you, then dont buy it. Creleant does not blow Surefire away or neither does any other junk Chinese brand. Just the thought of Creleant blowing Surefire out of the water is laughable. Just in case you all have not figured it out yet, all of these Chinese companies are put out for the most part by the same people. Crelant, Klarus, Balder, Sunwayman etc.... When one brand does not work out, they will spit out another. I dont veiw any of them as viable companies. If they want to be reputable, stop stealing and innovate.

You know its really sad that Surefire has to resort to suing companies when said companies manufacture lights that totally blow surefire lights away!

Boo!

That's anti-consumer! anti-innovation!

The better thing they should do is to come up with better lights at good price points so as to sway consumers from going "Chinese brands".

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I'd like to make three points:

1. This is pure speculation. SureFire has not sued Crelant. We're not even sure if any patents have been violated.

2. Since Crelant appears to be copying a SureFire design, who's the real innovator in this case?

3. If intellectual property has been stolen, how is this different from Niteye copying the Spy 007? Except, of course, that the intellectual property was stolen from a corporation instead of an individual.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I visited a Surefire Dealer web site where Surefire said there lights are 'Assembled in the USA'.

Making the electronics is not the same as assembling a flashlight.

I would like to know if Surefire is importing the parts and only assembling someone else's manufactured product?

Mike 208

Enlightened
The package my Fury came in stated on the back,"Designed and assembled in the U.S.A. of domestic and foreign components. This product qualifies as 'American Made' under the Buy American Act."

As I understand it, Surefire manufactures all of their flashlight bodies in the US, but some of their LAs and LEDs (maybe their light holsters and O rings) are manufactured/imported from other countries to their specifications. As far as I can tell, Surefire has never hidden this information.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The package my Fury came in stated on the back,"Designed and assembled in the U.S.A. of domestic and foreign components. This product qualifies as 'American Made' under the Buy American Act."

As I understand it, Surefire manufactures all of their flashlight bodies in the US, but some of their LAs and LEDs (maybe their light holsters and O rings) are manufactured/imported from other countries to their specifications. As far as I can tell, Surefire has never hidden this information.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that you have to defend a patent in order for it to be worth anything. If a company doesn't go after patent violators sooner or later it won't be enforceable. I don't know even know all the technical details of these patent cases but you can look at past Surefire models and see which ones various import brands starting copying the industrial design of. Like a lot of the Crelant lights are either nearly 1:1 copies of, or heavily "inspired" by the M3T or M3LT.

I sometimes wonder how many of the "Big mean Surefire is trying to hurt innocent Chinese flashlight makers" posts on CPF are by people from those companies or in business with them. I remember a few instances in the past (not involving SF) where people popped up endlessly defending some Chinese or Taiwanese company under scrutiny and in the end they were sales reps or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.