Anyone have the new NiteCore Infilux IFE1 XM-L 550 Lumen IV Control Ring Light Yet?

cyclesport

Enlightened
Just saw that several popular online dealers are now selling the NiteCore Infilux IFE1 XM-L T6 550 Lumen IV control ring light at $114 mostly. (Kinda expensive...no?) Looks like another interesting EDC IV light though, and is this possibly JetBeam's/Nitecore's update answer to the RRT-01? Looks like it's available with either SMO or OP reflector choices as well.

Any thoughts...?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I love that interface -- love the idea of the ring having an "off" position on the ring, so that when I'm using the light in intermittent mode at various levels I can just turn the ring (obviously, in normal carry, I'd use the button to turn the light off, due to parasitic drain at the ring). Also like the strobe on the far side of off. And I love the E-series compatibility. That said, two issues:

1. It's really long -- about on par with a V11R *with* the AA extension tube in, and a cm longer even than the XT1C, which is my longest 1x123 light
2. Definitely a tad expensive. Quality better be unbelievable to justify it

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I love that interface -- love the idea of the ring having an "off" position on the ring, so that when I'm using the light in intermittent mode at various levels I can just turn the ring (obviously, in normal carry, I'd use the button to turn the light off, due to parasitic drain at the ring). Also like the strobe on the far side of off. And I love the E-series compatibility. That said, two issues:

1. It's really long -- about on par with a V11R *with* the AA extension tube in, and a cm longer even than the XT1C, which is my longest 1x123 light
2. Definitely a tad expensive. Quality better be unbelievable to justify it

Quality is very high with the Infilux series of light's I've owned the IFE1 and the IFE2 is one of my highest quality light's, the control ring is fantastic in these light's and has a near 360 degree of smooth rotation.

RBWNY

Enlightened
Have not bought one but I'd be all in for a IFE2 XM-L, been waiting for that one for a long time.

I'd like that too. But they'd have to lower the price! It probably wouldn't be any brighter than this IFE1 though. And if like this one...whereby it appears to have tailstanding issues (as the IFE2 does) then it's not for me anyway. :shakehead

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like that too. But they'd have to lower the price! It probably wouldn't be any brighter than this IFE1 though. And if like this one...whereby it appears to have tailstanding issues (as the IFE2 does) then it's not for me anyway. :shakehead

The potential maximum brightness could be about the same but you have to take into account the IFE1 XM-L only gets that 550lmns on RCR123 and only for about 20mins, using a CR123 it's rated at 350lmns for 45mins.

The IFE2 XM-L would probably do 500-600lms for 1.5-2hrs on a 18650 or 1.5hrs on 2xcr123 so while yes brightness may be about the same runtimes would make the IFE2 XML so much more useful, I've just never been sold on these 500+ lumen 1xcr123 light's that need a rcr123 to get full brightness and only get it for 20mins or so.

RBWNY

Enlightened
The potential maximum brightness could be about the same but you have to take into account the IFE1 XM-L only gets that 550lmns on RCR123 and only for about 20mins, using a CR123 it's rated at 350lmns for 45mins.

Okay!! That makes sense. It's exactly what I assumed before reading the stats on the light...which didn't mention that. What I read just said max brightness for "about 1 hr" which sounded too good to be true!-- especially with an RCR pumping out 500lm!! S0 yes, dunno why they haven't upgraded the IFE2 as well. Maybe that's in the works.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read some reviews of the original IFE1 that said the output was too linear electrically -- that is, the first 45 degrees of the control ring basically hit all your lower levels, and the rest of the movement was all less-distinguishable high levels. Any idea if they've since moved to non-linear output (so it appears linear visually), ala SWM?

I'm still puzzling a bit over why this light is 20mm longer than the v11r, which also has both a ring and tail switch, but really more concerned about the ring...

cyclesport

Enlightened
I've read some reviews of the original IFE1 that said the output was too linear electrically -- that is, the first 45 degrees of the control ring basically hit all your lower levels, and the rest of the movement was all less-distinguishable high levels. Any idea if they've since moved to non-linear output (so it appears linear visually), ala SWM?

I'm still puzzling a bit over why this light is 20mm longer than the v11r, which also has both a ring and tail switch, but really more concerned about the ring...

Yeah...that's why I started the post since this light preceeded many of the current XM-L 1 X 123 control ring lights. Had hoped someone bought one of these and could share their thoughts.

Now that it has upgraded to the XM-L I had hoped they might have improved the percieved linear output like the V11R as you note. If it even ramped like the RRT-01 or Eye 10 I would be fine with that as well. Not sure I would be happy with the 4" length either...They were one of the first producers of single 123 I.V. lights and 4" may have seemed OK then but wish they would have re-tooled the body to be shorter but the cost to produce would have been prohibitive vs. the $$ return on units sold so they prob just setteled on an emitter upgrade and left everything else as it was first designed.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
have any of yall gotten this XM-L edition Infilux? just remembered this light lol

No, but its been on my radar since the XM-L version was released. Also having a hard time justifing the price (and 4" length), especially since I already have a few similar 1 X123 mag control ring lights. Lightjunction just started offering their "Black Friday" discount on Nitecore of 22% though... making this now approx $89!

chilitoma

Newly Enlightened
IFE1 XML has just arrived. I have old IFD2 XPG, I think it is same head IFE1 XPG, and it is not visible linear as you know. However, IFE1 XML is visible linear for my eyes. IFD2 is little bit difficult to set lowest output, but IFE1 XML is very easy to set lowest setting like RRT01/TCR1. I think nitecore changed their curcuit. :whistle: (I am not sure if IFE1 XML head can be fit for IFE2 body. I would like to try it )

Last edited: