Olight Eos i3 vs Fenix LD01

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
Love my Olight i3, it is small, pretty bright, feels nice in the pocket.

Ordered a Fenix that came in today. Is it me, or are those 4 mm that it is bigger realy noticable in the pocket? Maybe I have to give it some time, but my good old Olight I guess is a better EDC for pocket carry. For me anyway...

7944712076_6dfd82ae4e.jpg

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
The Olight is a nice light, but personally I reach for the LD01 every time. It just feels so much more solid and I never have an issue with mode skipping. The Olight's mode skipping bugs me sometimes, but then it is a much less expensive light. I keep it in the kitchen and use it quite a bit, but for EDC it is the LD01 or if I want more light for longer, the E11. A few mm or grammes either way doesn't bother me too much.

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it just takes a little time to get used to it. It is a bit brighter I think.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I've heard the stories of i3 deaths and lanyard attachment wearing out. For $20 it would make for an okay beater.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I guess those few mm counts on lights in this size.
The difference is noticable to me also.
I do, however, prefer the LD01 anyway.
It is sturdier and brighter (I have an old ITP A3, maybe the new model is bright as LD01).
The LD01 also has a great pocket clip so the light isn't loose in the pocket.

My ITP A3 has M-L-H as my LD01 but the new i3 has L-M-H if I'm not wrong.
I prefer M-L-H in this kind of light.

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
I've heard the stories of i3 deaths and lanyard attachment wearing out. For $20 it would make for an okay beater.

The lanyard hole seems pretty solid to me. Badly designed, but sturdy.

I always thought L-M-H was the most logical, but I used the M - L - H on my new LD01 this evening outside, and in fact it is much more user-friendly and well-thoughtout!

I am starting to like the LD01!

tam17

Enlightened
Clean and lube LD01's O-ring with silicone grease occasionally and allow for a break-in period to be able to turn it on/off with one hand easily :whistle:

Cheers

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
Clean and lube LD01's O-ring with silicone grease occasionally and allow for a break-in period to be able to turn it on/off with one hand easily :whistle:

Cheers

After some days I returned to my Olight i3. It might be just a bit less bright (although I find it hard to see because of the different colour), but it feels better on the keychain and I find it easier to turn on/off with one hand.

Racer

Enlightened
Both are great lights, but the I3 (and its cousin the A3) have pretty noticeable PWM. I could live with it short term or in an emergency, but for EDC it's a deal breaker, so I carry the LD01 and sometimes the Ti.

A few random thoughts:

-- The clip on the I3 is great, but it likes to loosen over time and the little allen wrench that came with mine stripped the screws.

-- Holding them up side-by-side, the LD01 has superior construction and finish.

-- The real knurling on the bezel gives the LD01 a better twisty feel.

-- Both of them mode skip for me.

I mainly just bought the LD01 to round out my collection and see what the hype was about, but now I see what the hype was about, and it's one of my favorite lights, where the I3 has been relagated to showing off for friends and relatives with a 10440 in it.