foxfury lights - ramblings

matt_j

Enlightened
I recently had a chance to purchase few Foxfury Scout lights. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. I didn't know what to expect as I never heard about the company but they seem to have a decent presence in the firefighting/ems/sar world (or so they make it seem). Their lights are on the expensive side. Scout being their marker/basic light is around $40 for a light that is powered by 4 aa and big in size. I got two Scouts few weeks back and must say that after opening them I'm neither impressed or disappointed. Lights are big, with ok clip that strength I dare not to test as I broke many similar clips in the past. Light output is ok and I got two different models: one with white/red LEDs (black case) and one with just one LEDs (glow in the dark case). As this light was never meant to be used as primary but only as a marker or a backup I think it will serve it's purpose. One weird thing is that glow in the dark case doesn't really glow. As per my conversation with the rep she explained that after exposing the case to sunlight, light with glow for about 5 min. I had my light sitting on the dashboard of my truck for 12 hours in direct sunlight than brought it down to the basement and it glowed so weakly that you really had to look for it. I guess I'm spoiled by glow in the dark materials by SAK or Pelican. But my question is why even bother if you glow is so short lived? Plus very rarely would my light get full exposure to sunlight as most of the PPE sits in the dark garage, back of the truck or exposed to neon lights. Even if the light is turned on after turning it off, "the charge" in comparison to for example pelicans glow in the dark bezel is non existent.

Like most FDs around the country mine is using Streamlights as their right angle lights. They are "cheap", dependable and last a long time. My capt asked me to evaluate one of the Streamlights since over the next few months I will be in the smoke house a lot. So I thought that I will throw few other lights into competition and bought Pelican right angle light. I also saw Foxfury having two right angle lights which are expensive as all hell. Their list price is $130 for regular model BT2 and $200 for supped up model BT3. Little too rich for my pocket and by all means too expensive for most FDs. I asked Foxfury to lend me a light but they don't do such things and was directed to local dealer that has a light in stock that I can play with. By the way Foxfury customer service is top notch! But this is me thinking that I can buy rechargeable Streamlight for $100, Pelican for about $80 and their lights $130/$200 with 2 hrs battery life. I mean it is a hard sell to anyone and it doesn't matter if it is municipal career or voluntary organization.

So does anyone out here uses Foxfury BT2/3 right angle light? If yes do you like it?

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Hi Matt

Thanks for your post and comments.

You're correct about the Scout. They were meant to glow for up to 5 minutes (pending the amount of light that it absorbs), which is enough time for the average person to find the light if dropped.

Streamlight makes terrific right angle lights and box lights. Our design is a little different as the Breakthrough BT2 and BT3 offer the smoke cutting ability and light output of a box light in the body of a right angle light. They were created so that firefighters could purchase and use one powerful light rather than having to buy and use both a right angle light and box light. Using only one light also gives firefighters two free hands to work with. The BT2 has a tighter beam and is better at cutting through smoke while the BT3 provides more general illumination. .

Not sure if you have an interest but I encourage you to check out a blog post we did comparing our BT2 and BT3 with some of the leading right angle lights and box lights in the industry. It was done so that customers could see the beamshots and decide for themselves whether it's worth it to spend extra money to buy one of our lights. http://www.foxfury.com/blog/?p=1036

TurboBB also did a terrific and detailed review (with beamshots) of the BT2 and BT3 here on CPF: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2-amp-BT3-(XP-E-XM-L-4-x-AA-2-x-18650)-Review

We know that our lights aren't built for everyone and that there are lots of solid lighting tools out there. We take the lighting tools we offer seriously and are doing the best we can to advance the lighting tools / options offered for first responders like you.

Lastly, the Breakthrough lights began shipping out 6 weeks ago. Our guess is that more reviews will be available in the near future.