What model Eagletac D25 should I get to mod with a Nichia 219?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
D25A or C XP-G or XM-L? Someone told me the XP-G is 2 amps and the XM-L is 2.5 but does that go for the D25A also? I'd like to have it at 1.4/1.5 amps other wise high and turbo would the same brightness turbo would just get hot right?

Also are the D25C and A the only ones that have copper heat sinks or do that larger lights also?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that the Nichia 219's operating spec is similar to the XP-G. And that it is not designed to run at very high currents like an XM-L. As such, you should probably get the XP-G version.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
My understanding is that the Nichia 219's operating spec is similar to the XP-G. And that it is not designed to run at very high currents like an XM-L. As such, you should probably get the XP-G version.
Me to but then that adds 2 more questions

1. Is there a difference between the A and C model

2. Is there or is there ever going to be a S2 Ti model? Eagletac lists it on there site

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The Nichia 219 will work great with an XPG/XPE reflector but probably not an XML reflector.

Here are the differences between all the D25 models:

http://www.eagletac.com/html/d_series/compare-d-series/index.html
I'm more worried about amps I don't want to be pumping 2 amps into the 219 if I don't have to be, but still have it be close to full brightness. That comparison chart lists the drivers. Could someone tell me the difference between the A400M and A800M and how many volts and amps are going to the LED?

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
I don't think EagleTac drives the XP-G over 1.5 amp on 'turbo'. This is the max spec per Cree and I think a wise choice. Not sure where you are seeing the 2Amps, but maybe that is tail cap current draw from a boost driver(?)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more worried about amps I don't want to be pumping 2 amps into the 219 if I don't have to be, but still have it be close to full brightness. That comparison chart lists the drivers. Could someone tell me the difference between the A400M and A800M and how many volts and amps are going to the LED?

Ah I see, well if the XPG can take it then the 219 should too (for short bursts) :)

Sorry, don't know anything about the drivers.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Ah I see, well if the XPG can take it then the 219 should too (for short bursts) :)

Sorry, don't know anything about the drivers.
Lol its a XP-G and puts out over 500lm, it is definitely over 1.5 amps with a li-ion. Idk I might just get one and now worry and just run it on a primary.

The 219 puts out a tinny bit more light at 1.5 amps vs 1.4 but any more than that and you are just making heat. I know a mod isn't going to be perfect for the 219 but I just wanted to make sure 1 CR123 in the D25C wasn't putting over 1.7/1.8 amps to the LED or I would try to find a different host.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
The mod will go much easier if you get the XP-G model and reflow the 219 to the stock board.
You won't have to mess with trying to shoehorn a too-big board in there, the holes are already in the correct location, and the board thickness, reflector opening, and focus are optimized for that size emitter.
You will be working from the front of the light. Very cramped quarters for a soldering iron and tweezers to hold your wires while you reattach them. Make it easy on yourself with the stock XP-G board.

I realize this doesn't address your original question but I wanted to add this info as I've found these issues regarding the physical replacement can make or break a mod.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The mod will go much easier if you get the XP-G model and reflow the 219 to the stock board.
You won't have to mess with trying to shoehorn a too-big board in there, the holes are already in the correct location, and the board thickness, reflector opening, and focus are optimized for that size emitter.
You will be working from the front of the light. Very cramped quarters for a soldering iron and tweezers to hold your wires while you reattach them. Make it easy on yourself with the stock XP-G board.

I realize this doesn't address your original question but I wanted to add this info as I've found these issues regarding the physical replacement can make or break a mod.
Yeah I'm going with the S2 just wondering D25A or C, I would prefer the C for the larger reflector if it isn't to powerful.

Last edited:

Latest posts