King of the Elephants! FM3V**CBT-90**15 Amp

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Classic Turbohead FM3V/Elephant host is one of the most stunning flashlight hosts ever, However,the host is very expensive,Example here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?193710-Black-FM6AA-FM3V-Elephant

I've never consiidered an Elephant mod until now, that is, there's got to be something equally worthy to motivate me wanting to sell a kidney to put this mod together. The host is the one in Ni Color, Comes with 6AA serial Battery Holder.
dscf2585d.jpg

The guts of the CBT-90 and AW Incan driver Mag D switch was transferred into this light from a prior Mag D mod. Along with the 3" SMO from another Turbo head mod. also 3" AR coated lens:
scaled.php

The FM 6xAA holder was modified with a screw to reach the bottom of AW switch as it's shorter than mag switch
The 6xaa measured 8.5V, 5xAA + one dummy AA measured 7.15V.

scaled.php

Compare with two Olight super flashlights SR51, King of Elephants; SR95UT
dscf2602h.jpg

Under 5xAA, the King of Elephants draw 10.5A, Throw at 120K lux@ 1 meter.

I decided to put all 6 Enelopes in there, what the hack, somebody challenged me to drive the CBT-90 to 15A when I was doing an earlier mag modes. Under 6AA, The King of Elephants drew 15.5Amp & scored 165,000 lux @ 1 meter :)

Med. Mode draws 9.5A
Low mode draws 5 Amp, LOL

very low exposure shots. ISO 200, 1/100 sec exposure. 10 meter to the wall

Olight SR51 (53K lux @ 1 meter)
dscf2600x.jpg

Ma_Sha1 King of the Elephants: (165K lux @ 1 meter & a very large spot for a thrower!)
scaled.php

SR95 UT: 221,000 lux @ 1 meter
dscf2598r.jpg

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 amps

OMG... when i said overdrive it to 15 i didnt think you would actually go and do it LOL

how do those eneloops hold up under 15 amps? very interested to know since i have a pack of 16aas (elite 2ah cells) that im not really happy with above 10 amps

im guessing 5 min runtime on high?

maybe less with voltage sag?

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 amps
OMG... when i said overdrive it to 15 i didnt think you would actually go and do it LOL

LOL, Don't challenge me again :(

15 amps
how do those eneloops hold up under 15 amps? very interested to know since i have a pack of 16aas (elite 2ah cells) that im not really happy with above 10 amps
im guessing 5 min runtime on high?

I am using the 15A mode as "Nuke" mode, at Med. 9-10A are plenty bright @120K lux & a huge spot compare to XML in the same 3" SMO, about 3x the area coverage.

Run time in 9A, med mode for 2000mah Eneloop is 15 min if constant 9A draw, but it's direct drive like Incan, so it'll draw less current with time & last about 25 -30min.

I think 15A will certainly abuse the battery too much, but shot bursts to a minute show-off are what's the 15A is really good for. battery heat-up quickly under 15A

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Awesome mod! Those eneloops are really being pushed at this point, 15A is amazing!

How much lux at 1M do you think a copper bonded XP-G2 at 3A or XM-L copper bonded at 6A would give you? If I ever get/make a host for a 3" reflector, I might try something like that.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok ma sha... ill send you another challenge :p

find a nice P bin SST90 and drive that to 12 amps or so :)

the sst90 P bin will theoretically put out well over 4200 lumens at 12 amps :O

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

Using the 3" DX reflector?
Yes, need some grinding to fit but DX SMO throw is amazing.

Awesome mod! Those eneloops are really being pushed at this point, 15A is amazing!

How much lux at 1M do you think a copper bonded XP-G2 at 3A or XM-L copper bonded at 6A would give you? If I ever get/make a host for a 3" reflector, I might try something like that.

Usually, when pushed to limits, the smaller die will have an edge over larger die on throw, they should be able to be pushed over 165klux.

However, lux is not everything, the spot size makes a huge difference in utility, even XML under 3" SMO spot is too small, in this thread below, you can see why my 4.2Amp XML in 3" SMO lost to the HIDs with similar or less lux:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Battle-in-the-woods-XML-King-of-Throw-vs-HIDs

The "useful throw" IMHO should be Lux times spot area, not just lux,
which is sometimes pushed to it's limits with a pencil thin beam & becomes a toy. I have a xre aspheric that does 240,000 lux @ 1 meter, it's just a toy.

I think the King of Elephant may have a chance on taking down the Firefox HID this time around & become King of the woods as well :).

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the King of Elephant may have a chance on taking down the Firefox HID this time around & become King of the woods as well :).

beamshots plz :)

im still looking for a place i can do extreme long range shots in ct... have you found anywhere?

i went to a school for 20 minutes, but a police car showed up and after not understanding what i was doing, i was asked to leave haha.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will, thinking about battle in the woods 3.

Crystal lake quarry is huge, like 500 yards from one end to the other, From quarry to the other side of lake is 1 mile.

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
Awesome light. Could you try the DX 75mm aspheric and see how it does with that setup?