Rare Malkoff P60 dropin compendium - listing & pics

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently owned a malkoff direct drive p7 d26 dropin with a reflector and was told it was probably the second most rarest malkoff module (swwwweet),
im curious as to what others think is pretty rare also.

btw...gene, if your reading this and if you find the time, your input would be welcomed indeed. :wave:

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whats the rarest malkoff dropin in exsistence?

I just sold a M60W MC-E. Those appear to be hard to find also. I know there's a M91N and M61 XM-L floating around.

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whats the rarest malkoff dropin in exsistence?

Rare as in how many in existence?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Below is what information I know of regarding rare and/or desirable Malkoff dropins.
Please post pics of your rare Malkoff dropins (or at least what info you know about them).

The ones I can think of: (including links w/ historical info)

#1: MC-E DD
Malkoff MC-E Direct Drive Drop In
IMG_0920_klein.jpg

There were at least five of these made - the ones that I know of were custom one-offs comissioned by Lampenfisch, bigchelis (qty. 3, one was a 'warm'), and jslappa. From reading about it, it sounds like they were overdriven on an 18650 and suffered from less output than expected. AFAIK these were the last DD dropins ever sold by Gene M.

Edit: Over the subsequent years since originally posted, I have read of at least two of these dying under normal use - certainly experimental prototypes rather than the typical quality of Malkoff design & production. :sigh:

#2: M91N
I'm happy to say that I own one; etc comissioned a '5000K' M91N from Gene M, sold it to oldways, who sold it to booya, who sold it to me. It is my all-time favorite Malkoff dropin, in my favorite tint. :)

Glock 22 has another one (but in 4000K); he was lucky enough to have Gene M make one for him.
He first tried the M91, then the M91W, then settled on his current 'N' - good taste IMO. :thumbsup:

I recently tried to order two more from Gene M but he politely declined due to current production workload.
There may be a couple of others out there, if anybody else has one please post. :)

Edit: And it looks like there is at least one more 4000K M91N 'out in the wild'.

#3 P7 DD
Malkoff P7 Projects
Malkoff P7 Direct Drive Drop-In (Photos)
P7 Goodness - Malkoff P7 head
P7Goodness.jpg

There were a few of these made (my guess is less than a dozen - bigchelis once posted that he had four at one point), and they initially sold for the bargain price of $59 IIRC. They generally get ~$125 on CPF/MP when one comes up for sale every year or so. I don't know much about these but they are apparently pretty good - it sounds like the SSC P7's were a much better match for direct-drive than the Cree MC-E's.

#4: M60 prototype
My New Malkoff Projects
From April 1, 2007:
The P-60 style dropin will be an LED version to replace incandescent module. I don't know about cost. It depends on the parts and work involved in putting them together. Right now I'm developing the drivers for these applications.

Building the Malkoff P60 Dropin Index

Malkoff Drop-in Comparison: Then and Now
Unfortunately the pics in the above thread aren't linked anymore. :-/
According to this thread, the earliest one(s?) may have been made with a SSC P4 instead a Cree XR-E? This is unconfirmed.
At any rate, an aluminum reflector was used instead of the brass module w/ optic like we're used to seeing.
IIRC I've seen only one of these sell on CPF Marketplace, but there is no reason there aren't a few more out there. As these came out before I was active on CPF I don't have a feel for how many of these were made but it might be very very few. :confused:

#5: M60W MC-E
AFAIK these are the least-common of the M60-series that saw full production. The M60 MC-E's were uncommon to begin with (partially due to their expense, as their list price was ~$125). Furthermore, since this was before the wide popularity of 'W's, my guess is that there may have been less of these made than the standard version? They were made using the M60 'Flood' optic (20 degree) rather than the usual 8 degree optic of the M60's. ElectronGuru has one of these that I have gotten to try out, IMO they were the best dropin of their time.

-------------------------------

There are also reasonably uncommon and relatively desirable (IMO) out-of-production Malkoff dropins:
  • The first production run of M61W's & M31W's @ 5000K tint
  • M60W
  • M60 MC-E
  • M30W - probably very rare, I've only seen a couple of these change hands @ CPF/MP.

-------------------------------

Anyone with more info on the rare Malkoff dropins, please post their pics or perhaps links to prior threads - I imagine that there are others who would find the older threads interesting. :popcorn:

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M60WLL. I don't have a camera here right now, so I can't post a pic. I have seen at least one more of those mentioned in a CPF thread. There might be more than that. I also have an M60 MC-E (regulated), but I don't think that they are as scarce as the warm version.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Kestrel,

Very nice work with compiling the comprehensive list in post #4.

You can add: The second production run of M61W's @ ~4000K tint. I believe it has the XP-G R2.

Ron,

This was a great idea, starting this cool thread. And yes, you still have first, last, and only dibs if that time ever comes!:popcorn:

-John

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked for an email I had from Gene, I wasn't sure that this was really one of his, so when I sold it I emailed him and he came right back that yes it was an early one, it says "180 lumens" on it & I think Gene said it was an XR-E, but I will try to confirm from his email. Photos are a little lousy, sorry!

From #4 from above...
750838237_N7HQ2-M.jpg

750838226_q9zMn-M.jpg

750838252_ggDQa-M.jpg

tolkaze

Enlightened
I had an M60W MC-E DD with flood optic, bought it on marketplace but 3 of the emitters were fried when I got it. Super upset, but gene swapped it for an M91W

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The M60 MC-E's were uncommon to begin with (partially due to their expense, as their list price was ~$125). Furthermore, since this was before the wide popularity of 'W's, my guess is that there may have been less of these made than the standard version? They were made using the M60 'Flood' optic (20 degree) rather than the usual 8 degree optic of the M60's. ElectronGuru has one of these that I have gotten to try out, IMO they were the best dropin of their time.

I still use mine on a regular basis. Extra info on the production: They were not only expensive (now and at the time), but they were so expensive to produce, Gene was practically selling them at cost. To keep making them, he would have had to raise the price, and was unwilling to do so. i.e., labor of love.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use mine on a regular basis. Extra info on the production: They were not only expensive (now and at the time), but they were so expensive to produce, Gene was practically selling them at cost. To keep making them, he would have had to raise the price, and was unwilling to do so. i.e., labor of love.

I basically just sold my M60W MC-E to obtain funds to buy a Torchlab H3N Nichia. I miss the M60W MC-E already.

P.S.

Wilmette: Your beautiful drop-in has been packed. It will be send off on Thursday.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so MC-E emitters are just plain expensive (relatively) to begin with, then? I've noticed theyre almost as expensive as the SST series insofar as Nailbender's offerings go. is it cuz theyre quad die?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Edit: images didn't post, which is the main reason for this post, so when I get more time, I will look at some older bookmarks and figure out how to post to an image site, and link here. Kestrel, if that doesn't work out, I will ask you for permission to e-mail my photos to you as attachments, so at least you have them for your archives. I've got pix of an M30W, and an M60WLL.]

Last edited:

Glock 22

Enlightened
Here is 2 more rare Malkoff's to add to the list. I have both of these.

M61W XML
M61 XPE R3

autogiro

Enlightened
In addition to my M60 MC-E and M60W MC-E I have these non engraved M60 type modules:

7981578477_a6f488d36b_z.jpg

7981581920_6acb26e1c7_z.jpg

My favorite of the three is the small reflector version, nice smooth wide beam.

I'm also pretty sure I have a #4 M60 reflectored prototype somewhere and as soon as I can find it I'll post a photo.

Auto

Found it! (hiding in an old 6R)...

7984085747_d08ab991e7_z.jpg

7984086497_977497335e_z.jpg

Auto

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened

Interesting. I also have a M60W MC-E that I still constantly use in my 9P. Its massive, encompassing flood and perfect tint is unbeatable. Gene's flood optic was a perfect fit for the MC-E.

Not long after getting it came along Halloween. I had it along just in case. My daughter's friend dropped her candy all over the road. Ppl were there with their little lights trying to round everything up. Out came my 9P and it was like the sun came out. There were OMG's everywhere. Worth the price right there. :D

Last edited: