Confession time: I recently bought a Mini Maglight (two AAA)

danpass

Newly Enlightened
It's the only maglight I've ever had any respect for actually lol.

I've had the big 2 and 3D versions, only one of which ever focused a decent beam. That one of course was the only one that got damaged by leaking batteries which of course made it into the reflector/head.

The Mini AA was too large to have such a weak beam and runtime.

The Solitaire was too weak and too short lived as well.

The Mini AAA on the other hand was an equitable beam throw and runtime for its size and in the hand it just fit .......... right.

My reason for this purchase is that, having known these various qualities from past experience, it would be a decent fit in the pilot kneeboard as a backup to the Aviator A2R (which doesn't fit in the kneeboard). Weak enough to not ruin night vision (too much) but enough light and runtime to be effective.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No shame in that! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I once used a Minimag AAA to hike down from Half Dome in Yosemite.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
"Forgive me CPF, for I have sinned..."

No worries, you are free to buy any flashlight that suits your needs. Anyone who knocks you for your purchase isn't behaving in the true spirit of CPF.

Many times we buy flashlights for hypothetical situations. Glad you were able to find one that works in your very specialized situation.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
MagLite is a GOOD light!

:mad:

BTw was it the new one, the new 2xAAA robin24k is going to review (or already has)? Mag is coming out with bunch of stuff I like lately.

edit: oh crap now I'm going to have to stay on post number 999 for a while. This is gonna be TOUGH/pacino.

Last edited:

danpass

Newly Enlightened
MagLite is a GOOD light!

:mad:

BTw was it the new one, the new 2xAAA robin24k is going to review (or already has)? Mag is coming out with bunch of stuff I like lately.

edit: oh crap now I'm going to have to stay on post number 999 for a while. This is gonna be TOUGH/pacino.

I bought it about a week ago and my searches here have shown the upcoming LED versions. But based on the lumens it appears that the new versions will be extreme overkill for this application.

Heck just yesterday I ordered a Maratac AAA from CountyComm since it has the 1.5 lumen setting and should also fit nicely in the kneeboard. And it has better runtime than the Mini AAA.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mini AA was too large to have such a weak beam and runtime.
????

I never understand comments like this. What other 2AA incan flashlight (for any money, or same money) offered brighter output and more run time? I can think of none.

LGT

Enlightened
About four months ago, I bought a maglight led just to see what the beam looked like.:stupid:. Couldn't return it fast enough. But on a whim, I bought a 2D mag. While set to it's tightest hotspot, it really isn't bad for a 25 dollar incan. I can identify what I looking at from 50 to 70 yards. I call it my aspherical incan. It's not my primary light, or a backup. Just someting that is occasionally fun to toy around with.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I have been through several of them. At first they are bright for the first few hours, but their brightness quickly declines. You see, the AAA Mini Maglite's bulbs are NOT filled with an inert gas. They, instead are under a vacuum. These bulbs dim very quickly. Even when fresh batteries are installed, their output is pitiful to say the least. The only remedy for this is frequent bulb replacement. Of course, even then the switch assembly builds up impedance frequently. They are not really worth the trouble and the same problems plague the Maglite Solitaire. I feel so unhappy to write this, but it is the God's truth. Maglite is one of my favorite flashlight makers, but they should discontinued those two models. IMHO I wish they weren't introduced in 1987 (the year I was born) because they are just not up to par. On the other hand, the 2 AA Mini Maglite incandescent is wonderful. I have been EDCing them on and off for almost 7 years. I have mentioned on a previous thread that overdriving a Mini Maglite with a Krypton bi-pin on Energizer Ultimate Lithiums is a force to be reckoned with. As for aviation, you can use a Mini Maglite incandescent (AA version) with a red filter. That red lens is designed specifically for preserving night vision. I am NOT a pilot, but I have heard of pilots using the red LED function on the Sure Fire Aviator for that very reason. http://www.maglite.com/Mini_Maglite_AA.asp Click that link and refer to the accesory pack. At Academy Sports and Outdoors, they carry surplus Desert Storm Mini Maglites. These are packed with that accessory kit. This is probably also the dealer with the fairest price. Just my thoughts, I am not an Aviator so I don't exactly know what your needs are. Furthermore, I don't even what a pilot's kneeboard is.