Alternative Xeno Tailcap Switches

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
-------------------
See Update below
-------------------

Hey Folks,

I just wondering if anyone's got any experience with Xeno's optional tailcap switches, the TM05 and TM10.
http://www.xenoled.com/en/Parts/54/p19.html <--TM05 v2
http://www.xenoled.com/en/Parts/p20.html <--TM10 v2

The descriptions indicate that use of these tailswitches allows:
- Momentary on
- Twisty Lock-out/On
- Silent Operation
- Compatibility with variable output lights

Functionality is not 100% clear (or perhaps I'm running on too little sleep/coffee) but here is an excerpt from the specs for the TM10:
3.How to use:
*.Twist to the end for constant-on.*.Twist & Unscrew no more than 1/4 Cycle, press for momentary-on easily.
*.Twist & Unscrew more than 1/2 Cycle, turn off the light completely and get a Lock-out feature
prevents accidental activation of light during tactical engagements, transportation, or storage.
*.TM10 fits the flashlight with variable output mode.

Press to select the output level which you want and twist to the end for lockup.

How does one select output if this tailcap switch allows momentary on?

First hand experience on how this changes the UI would be much appreciated.

Depending on how these tailcap switches were designed/implemented, I think all Xeno users (of whom own a compatible light, of course) or prospective users would find this interesting or, at least, an option that changes the user experience.

(If these tailcap switches function as I hope/think they might it would be a big improvement to the UI. Personally, I am not a fan of sequential UIs as is on the G42/F42, etc)

Again, thanks in advance, for any input. :grin2:

- Al

(May I also apologize in advance if my query is silly and my inability to read Chinglish)

EDIT:
A
ccording to a US Ebay seller you are able (at least specified on the description for the TM05 tailcap switch, compatible with XENO F7V6, F8V6, F42V2, G5V6, E06V6) to set the tailcap into a mode that allows you to "lock in selected [output] mode." It is perhaps safe to assume that this is the same functionality with the TM10 (XENO G10,G42) as the G42 and the F42 are almost identical in design.

Switch will fit XENO F7, F8, F42, G5, and E06. The use is as follows: a) twist for constant on, b) twist and unscrew 1/4 turn for momentary on use, c) twist and unscrew 1 turn for positive lock out, or d) with unit 1/4 turned out, half press to select output level and twist to lock in selected mode.

-----------------
UPDATE:
I was finally able to get a hold of the XENO TM05 Twisty/Forward switch.

Observations:
- Cycle through modes (in momentary), hold and twist tight for constant-on (in the mode you selected).
- Makes cycling through modes easier/faster. Makes 3-fast-press to access hidden modes (Steady Strobe, Locator Beacon, SOS) much easier to access.
- Activation is made easier as the button is (more) exposed, especially for gloved hands or cigar/angled hold.
- Activation (momentary forward press/twist for constant-on) is, indeed, silent.
- Relies on simple piston design (non-clicky), forward press for momentary-on closes circuit with contact rings. Looseness of the tailcap determines the button travel distance. Button activation pressure is medium.
- Twist for constant-on simply closes circuit/button travel distance is 0.
- Lock-out (loosen 1 full turn) simply moves the button travel distance to open circuit.
- Does NOT allow for momentary-on for signalling. Mashing the button will cycle through modes and/or enter and then cycle through hidden modes.
- Knurling, threading and anodization are flawless (same build-quality and fit-and-finish as host lights).
- Gun grey matches perfectly with other XENO lights in Gun grey, however, matching it with a Black or Castanea Brown flashlight provides a subtle two-tone contrast (up personal preference if this arrangement is aesthetically pleasing).
- Twisting the tailcap for constant-on, for the most part, is a two-handed affair. It can be done one handed with practice.
-----------------

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
It looks like poor translation. As best I can tell, it's a single-mode tailcap with a pressure switch. The person who wrote the description is just treating Off as an optional mode.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
It looks like poor translation. As best I can tell, it's a single-mode tailcap with a pressure switch. The person who wrote the description is just treating Off as an optional mode.

It sure would be great if it was a surefire-like UI. Thanks for your input, fyrstormer.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Might have to try these.
No problem-- Once I have some clarification (from here or from Xeno) I'll be pulling the trigger on these this as well.
Potentially saves me from having to void my warranty to make UI more useable.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
According to a US Ebay seller you are able (at least specified on the description for the TM05 tailcap switch, compatible with XENO F7V6, F8V6, F42V2, G5V6, E06V6) to set the tailcap into a mode that allows you to "lock in selected [output] mode." It is perhaps safe to assume that this is the same functionality with the TM10 (XENO G10,G42) as the G42 and the F42 are almost identical in design.

[TM05] Switch will fit XENO F7, F8, F42, G5, and E06.
The use is as follows: a) twist for constant on, b) twist and unscrew 1/4 turn for momentary on use, c) twist and unscrew 1 turn for positive lock out, or d) with unit 1/4 turned out, half press to select output level and twist to lock in selected mode.

So, potentially good news for XENO users! :thumbsup:

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:
I was finally able to get a hold of the XENO TM05 Twisty/Forward switch.

Observations:
- Cycle through modes (in momentary), hold and twist tight for constant-on (in the mode you selected).
- Makes cycling through modes easier/faster. Makes 3-fast-press to access hidden modes (Steady Strobe, Locator Beacon, SOS) much easier to access.
- Activation is made easier as the button is (more) exposed, especially for gloved hands or cigar/angled hold.
- Activation (momentary forward press/twist for constant-on) is, indeed, silent.
- Relies on simple piston design (non-clicky), forward press for momentary-on closes circuit with contact rings. Looseness of the tailcap determines the button travel distance. Button activation pressure is medium.
- Twist for constant-on simply closes circuit/button travel distance is 0.
- Lock-out (loosen 1 full turn) simply moves the button travel distance to open circuit.
- Does NOT allow for momentary-on for signalling. Mashing the button will cycle through modes and/or enter and then cycle through hidden modes.
- Knurling, threading and anodization are flawless (same build-quality and fit-and-finish as host lights).
- Gun grey matches perfectly with other XENO lights in Gun grey, however, matching it with a Black or Castanea Brown flashlight provides a subtle two-tone contrast (up personal preference if this arrangement is aesthetically pleasing).
- Twisting the tailcap for constant-on, for the most part, is a two-handed affair. It can be done one handed with practice.