Titanium Preons plated?

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I think I might have ruined my ever dwindling on the market and beloved polished titanium Preon 2. It is an every day used light for work which is in the maintenance field. It has been scratched up a lot and I every so often polish it up so it looks nice and new again. However today I fear I may have ruined it as the tube seems to have lost its glisten in areas where I have polished and now is a duller shine. I fear I have discovered that the Titanium Preon is only plated and I have worn through the plating to the bare aluminum beneath. Does anyone know if the titanium Preons are full titanium or if it is plated? Please tell me they are full titanium and I just need to re-polish it once it cools down.

If this is the case, I am stressing out because I have to have a polished titanium Preon 2. I love it! I am just not as big a fan of the satin Titanium lights. Help Me fellow flashaholics!

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
derfyled,

Thanks for the link. So the Preon Ti's are solid titanium. The problem the OP had in the link you provided had a different problem than I did. My problem occurred when I was polishing the light with a dremel. I assume I let the material get too hot while polishing to the point that it started to ruin the finish. I am very happy to hear the lights are solid Ti and that it is very difficult and expensive to plate aluminum with Ti or vise versa. I waited a few hours for the body to cool down and tried again and the light polished to a mirror shine.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/moerush04/Snapshot_20120912.jpg

had trouble getting image to post in response. Sorry.
Thanks so much for the help!

Dan