Fenix Outfitters        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

Default Re: Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

Szemhazai - Thanks for your excellent instructions on making molex connectors etc. Very useful, I have made a number of batteries with connectors. l've even made a battery pack that plugs into a power jack added to the bottom of the usb case. I see that you added your 100k thermistor internally. When you change batteries how do you keep the headlamp from giving you low battery warning flashes? The headlamp also reduces power when it thinks the battery should be low. The only way I know to avoid the problem is to not have the 100k thermistor in place. Then the headlamp thinks I'm using disposable AAA batteries. Thanks, Jordan

It would seem very unlikely that a controller/driver designed to run from up to 4.2V would die with an input voltage of 3x fully charged NiMH cells, or even from AA alkalines.

If someone was being ultra-paranoid, it wouldn't be hard to wire a schottky diode in series with a 3-cell pack to waste a few hundred millivolts.

As far as strings of CR123 cells go, maybe especially in the case of emergency usage with long-stored cells, there's some argument for avoiding series use for safety reasons with mismatched cells, possibly particularly in the case where there is no specifically-tuned low voltage cutoff circuitry.

Good morning,

First I'm sorry but my english is very bad. I'm a spanish trail runner. In Catalonia, Pirineus.

I'm interested in buying headlight NAO. I would like to modify it to be able to mount a more capacity battery. Is it possible to install this model of 5000 mah?

http://www.miniinthebox.com/es/singf...v_p702769.html

Thank you very much for your answers.

Unenlightened

5000mAh is not real number, its false. Highest cell now available is 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B. But you can use two of them and wire them in parallel, but then you also need new battery case to accomodate 2 cells.

Thank you very much for the answer. I will buy the panasonic battery.

I have some questions:

1-To work the new battery I need to install the thermistor in the connector plate?

2-Where this piece is connected? Http: // www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0039000160/WM9661CT-ND/3904983

3-Is It necessary to buy this piece? Http: // www.fasttech.com/products/1030/10003003/1225101-wh-18650b-2a-protective-circuit-board-for-18650-re

Or is it necessary extracted from the 2.300 mah Petzl battery and install in the new 3.400 mah?

Thanks and excuse me for the inconveniences.

Good afternoon again,

Nobody helps me please?

Thanks!

Enlightened

zirit,

I may not understand correctly, perhaps you need those PCB's to be outside your battery? Otherwise these cells from the same supplier and recommended above, are available with the PCB already integrated: http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1...d-rechargeable

Thank you very much for your answer Tsellers!

I will buy the battery that you indicate me.

A last question, how can I connect the cables inside the battery? One in the positive pole, and the other in the negative pole? And the third cable?

Enlightened

As you can't really solder to those batteries, and magnets will slide off, probably have to insert it into a carrier. Although FT does also sell carriers with protection circuits built into them (which in turn would allow you to use the unprotected version of the NCR18650B), I assume that is not going to be an option for the project that you are working on.

THis light has been around so long now and getting so long in the tooth, I'm wondering if something else with a better CRI Index for trail running has not come along to replace it by now? If so, then perhaps you wouldn't need to go to all the trouble and expense of Frankenstein Modding this model.

Ok TSellers,

Thank you very much! Regards!

Enlightened

FWIW, I use 2 lights for the trail at night. To see the trail at my feet and all around, I use a flood lens that is mounted on my hip belt (a SPark SD6 with Flood lens and a T3 XM-L2 emitter). On my head I normally use a spot lens with a T4 emitter (I have several, but my normal go-to is a Spark ST6). I installed both the T3 and T4's myself because I prefer the higher CRI of those BIN's for rocky trails. If I need to search in the trees above for something (part of what my job entails), then I'll have a flashlight with a T5 emitter on my hip as well. I have found that the T3 does the best in fog, heavy snow, and rain, especially when it is mounted low, like on your hip.

Tsellers, you use other models for trail running.

Don't recommend the Nao to run?

Default Attaching CREE LEDs on NAO PCB

Hi,

I have bought CREE XP-G2 5W Netural White 3900-4500K to replace it in my NAO:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-lot-CR...-/261402070533

Does somebody can tell me how original CREE LEDs are attached on the PCB board of NAO lamp, were they soldered or glued somehow, and how Szemhazai has attached CREE LEDs on the PCB?
    I would like that you reply so I can avoid possible damage

Thanx in advance.

Enlightened

Default Re: Attaching CREE LEDs on NAO PCB

Don't recommend the Nao to run?
    Many people enjoy using that model, and swear by it. I don't want to start a diatribe about one light being better than another. In my case I prefer the higher CRI of other LED Bin's, and I found it very easy to upgrade the Spark LED's to T3 and T4 emitters, while at the same time, not having to go through the hassle of doing MOD's to increase battery capacity. And as I noted, I have found it's better to have 2 lights than just one, so even if I had a NAO on my head, I'd still want a flood on my hip (the trail I use daily goes up a mountain, 650m elevation gain over 5km, and for the uphill portion all I often use is just the flood, and then use both on the descent). As I often encounter rapid changes in environmental conditions, I do not see reactive lighting to be a benefit, in my opinion it is an annoyance, but again, many people enthusiastically disagree with that, so YMMV. The NAO has been around a long time now, and to me (but not others mind you) it is an over priced product that offers trailing edge features.

Does somebody can tell me how original CREE LEDs are attached on the PCB board
    Reflow soldering skill techniques are typically what you do to remove and replace LED's from stars. There are lots of posts outlining people's favourite ways of doing it in this forum. In my case I was lucky to have been given a labratory hot plate which, along with an IR temperature gun, has served me well for putting emitters onto copper based stars.

Thanks again TSellers!

Enlightened

You're welcome, pls update us with what you decide to do in the end.

TSellers, thank you so much.

I have wanted to make LED modification at home, but it seems it is better to bring it to some electronic service where they do the professional reflow soldering for a few euros.

I am happy because I will upgrade my NAO lamp for a small amount of money changing CREE LEDs with newer and making a spare batteries. Regarding that I had bought it brand new for EUR 60 from somebody who didn't need it, it was great deal for sure.

Huge greetings to everybody here!
    Last edited by ZoKoNAO; 03-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Can two or four 18650s be successfully used in parallel to create a custom battery pack? I would love to have an extended-length burn time on the NAO without having to carry Petzl's overpriced proprietary pack or extra 3400mah cells.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
    Can two or four 18650s be successfully used in parallel to create a custom battery pack? I would love to have an extended-length burn time on the NAO without having to carry Petzl's overpriced proprietary pack or extra 3400mah cells.
    Petzl is going to upgrade the Nao in July to have 575 lumens and a longer runtime. You may want to checkout the updates that are coming. Just search google for Petzl Nao 575 and you will see the info on various sites including petzl very own site.
    -- CUE

Enlightened

Hey CUE, GREAT news!
    Can't wait to see what's under the hood!
    Just love mine and it will be great to have an improved version.
    Just when I thought Petzl was going too slow with the reactive lighting...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ggmesquita View Post
    Hey CUE, GREAT news!
    Can't wait to see what's under the hood!
    Just love mine and it will be great to have an improved version.
    Just when I thought Petzl was going too slow with the reactive lighting...
    The new model Nao is now out and in some stores. It hasn't showed up at REI or EMS yet for me to purchase so I am still waiting to check it out and possibly purchase it. I have been enjoying the Petzl RXP and R+ headlamps so far. I have tested them against almost all of my other goto headlamps that I own and keep coming back to the multiple beam patterns (Petzl RXP and XP and soon to be purchased NAO) that work independently as well as together with a separate spot light to have the best of both worlds. It has to be experienced, I think, to get the full gist of what I am getting at. Those that own a Nao or Petzl RXP or XP or maybe some of the caving lights would know what I am getting at. There needs to be more lights on the market that gave the multiple beams that work independently or together at "affordable" prices.
    Last edited by cue003; 07-16-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    -- CUE

Hi Folks,

Is good to know that there is this Petzl Nao user in this forum .
    I'm getting mine soon but is the first version of Nao as i don't need high lumens on trail running but long hour battery is a must ..
    If i want to mod a extra battery pack from 18650, as i know from this thread Molex 5264-3P and 18650 batt.
    for 18650 should i get the protected batt or unprotected later modded in with the NTC Thermistor for the protection purpose ..

your reply is much appreciated.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by hongchai90 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Is good to know that there is this Petzl Nao user in this forum .
    I'm getting mine soon but is the first version of Nao as i don't need high lumens on trail running but long hour battery is a must ..
    If i want to mod a extra battery pack from 18650, as i know from this thread Molex 5264-3P and 18650 batt.
    for 18650 should i get the protected batt or unprotected later modded in with the NTC Thermistor for the protection purpose ..

your reply is much appreciated.

I am interested in this answer/mod as well.
    -- CUE

You can use unprotected cells.
    Light-Test.info - bike lightís & Headlamps comparison site. - In polish but picture says everything
    Light-Test.info Facebook Fanpage - get in touch or check my latest work.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Szemhazai View Post
    You can use unprotected cells.
    Is the resistor required as mentioned above? Would it not be easier to simply use protected cells? I would love to see someone create a step by step video for this mod.
    -- CUE

It's required if you want to charge your cells inside the battery pack, if not the charge option is disabled + the battery pack thinks that you are using alkaline batteries and it drains the Li-ion cell under 3.0V
    Light-Test.info - bike lightís & Headlamps comparison site. - In polish but picture says everything
    Light-Test.info Facebook Fanpage - get in touch or check my latest work.

Flashaholic*

It's required if you want to charge your cells inside the battery pack, if not the charge option is disabled + the battery pack thinks that you are using alkaline batteries and it drains the Li-ion cell under 3.0V
    Any chance you can make/mod me one of these packs so that I can use any/all 18650 that I come across? I read your write up but I am still very unsure if I can build an additional pack to use 18650. I need the help.
    -- CUE

means if i solder together with the NTC Thermistor so i able to track down the battery power level that indicate in the Nao battery pack if i do so ?

Hello , is my first post .

A frind of mine here in Italy tell me about this forum becouse i would like to buy a Petzl NAO because i think is a versatile lamp and i can use it during night climb or even in night walking but my question is why there are 2 different model ( E36A and E36Ahr ) ?? there is a lot of price difference between them !
    I think i understand that the first model have less lumens and i think less battery.. is that the difference ?

none in the web seems to notice this .

Tnx

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by glatrottola View Post
    Hello , is my first post .

A frind of mine here in Italy tell me about this forum becouse i would like to buy a Petzl NAO because i think is a versatile lamp and i can use it during night climb or even in night walking but my question is why there are 2 different model ( E36A and E36Ahr ) ?? there is a lot of price difference between them !
    I think i understand that the first model have less lumens and i think less battery.. is that the difference ?

none in the web seems to notice this .

Tnx

I just asked them and according to the Sales & Service Technician who replied from Petzl America, they upgraded the NAO back in July. The non-HR versions are the old models which have lower output. Petzl now only sells the HR version, but many retailers still have old stock they are trying to sell off.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast