ThruNite upgraes some flashlights to XP-G2

server

Newly Enlightened
Here's some pictures they posted on facebook few hours ago with the text:
"You can see some difference between two LED on same model. XP-G2 is brighter and throw better!"

sUmv6.jpg

BQwpz.jpg

UpmZG.jpg

WSACs.jpg

I think Ti with XP-G2 would be sweet.

No word on when/price that kind of stuff yet though.
Also shame they inform the facebook community before CPF (if ever).

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
amazing beamshots!!

this is serious stuffz!!!!!

( :ironic: )

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Of course, I just bought a Ti last week and still waiting for it. Wish I could cancel the order and wait for the new one.....:shakehead

Racer

Enlightened
Awesome, saw that on their Facebook post. And I didn't know they were still making the Neutron series.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
When will the new versions be available? If I really like my t10!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that Thrunite has jumped on the band wagon. The XP-G2 is a very good emitter and cheaper than the original.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think their beamshots where they compare the new emitter to the XM-L and the older XP-G are probably exaggerated or the XM-L shots are done on lower settings. I find it hard to believe that the XP-G is going to be 100-200% brighter than an XM-L in the same light!

duro

Enlightened
I still think my Eagletac D25A2 clicky is better. I paid 38 dollars for their neutral. Eagletac usa states the neutral is an R4, but it looks to me like an S2 neutral. Puts out slightly more lumens than this new Thrunite AA2.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XML can reach much higher output levels than the XPG2, but it needs extra current to get there.

If they drive them both(XML and XPG2) at the same current but remain under 1.5 amps, then they will be similar output but the XPG2 will have a brighter hot spot and more throw.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its probably why they are giving the older versions away for free....to get rid of them.

Once the "2" versions come out, no one would BUY the old version.

:D

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its probably why they are giving the older versions away for free....to get rid of them.

Once the "2" versions come out, no one would BUY the old version.

Foursevens has started Christmas sales blablah too. Preon P1 XP-G is 40% off until Dec 21st. Not really "FREE" but who would BUY the old version undiscounted since the XP-G2 Preon P1's are out

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens has started Christmas sales blablah too. Preon P1 XP-G is 40% off until Dec 21st. Not really "FREE" but who would BUY the old version undiscounted since the XP-G2 Preon P1's are out

Well, some people are willing to be a little behind the technology curve, and save money.
For quite some time, I bought the previous year's models in flashlights, at bargain basement prices.
They are still just as good as they were 3 months ago, before anybody knew about the new ones, and they are almost half price.
They didn't get any worse, just because the new model came out.

For frugal people who don't need to be on the bleeding edge, it's a good deal.

duro

Enlightened

Seriously, and no neutral tint offering. Foursevens has seriously shyed away from the consumer that appreciates a good tint. They can take their 12 days of x-mas and go somewhere else. I'm not interested in their sickly cool white tints.

Dubois

Enlightened
THese XP-G2 lights are available on eBay - the new Ti - Ti2, and the neutron replacements - Archer 1A, and Archer 2A are already for sale, as mentioned in these threads:

Archer and Ti2

Imagine, releasing stuff on eBay & Facebook without telling us first!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some ignorant noobs it really doesnt matter if they get a spring 2010 flashlight for Xmas, so i am giving away such lights to my folks for Xmas too, family and relatives and stuff. And that's the way 4Sevens treats us too. The best freshest models (XP-G2) stay on the shelves at premium price, the March 2010 models are sold off discounted to some ***o**** *oo** who dont care too much.

Sounds like clearance to me.

Feliz navedad! :crackup:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Heck, 47's even sold off the old LOGO lights at a deep discount....I picked up some deals then too.

And, sure, your 2010 era light will work just as well as it did in 2010.

If How it worked in 2010 was all you needed, you are good to go. Just like SF sales people told us that 30 lumens is STILL 30 lumens, and if it worked in the '90's, it will still work now. (I think they were "30 Retina Searing Lumens")

If your 2010 light could have been a bit brighter...or had a better tint or runtime, etc, well, then an upgrade is an option when the new lights with those features hit the shelves.

I would not call my self bleeding edge per se...but I DO tend to want to upgrade my tools to whatever does the job best.

So, my Thrunite TN30 and 31 came with free lights - its all good.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think their beamshots where they compare the new emitter to the XM-L and the older XP-G are probably exaggerated or the XM-L shots are done on lower settings. I find it hard to believe that the XP-G is going to be 100-200% brighter than an XM-L in the same light!

The XML can reach much higher output levels than the XPG2, but it needs extra current to get there.
If they drive them both(XML and XPG2) at the same current but remain under 1.5 amps, then they will be similar output but the XPG2 will have a brighter hot spot and more throw.

You guys are correct. On both the XM-L and the XP-G2 data sheet it says up to 20% increase in lumen output over the XP-G. I had to compare specs between data sheets and this is what I found. Both the XM-L and XP-G gave their specs in 25 deg C. The XP-G2 was in 85 deg C. So I had to do a little interpolating off of the graphs. Thus I have an approximate sign out in front of some of them.

What it boils down to between the XP-G2 Vs XM-L is beam pattern in my opinion. The XM-L does have the ability to be driven harder.

350mA700mA1000mA1500mA2000mA
XP-G, R5139 lm≈254 lm≈347 lm
n/an/a
XP-G2, R5158 lm≈288 lm≈384 lm
≈520 lmn/a
XM-L, T6≈150 lm280 lm388 lm551 lm692 lm

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the XML can be run at 5 amps if its heat synced enough. Once you go over 3 amps the returns diminish.
The U4 XML is rumored to be out, so in that aspect XML is still king.
xpg2 has a tighter hotspot than the xpg, I'm excited about the ti2 cause the xpe is throwier than it needs to be in that small a package. The xpg2 will be a nice boost in output if they keep the drive current the same.

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
I can't wait to get my hands on the T10 xp-g2. Does anyone know if they are for sale anywhere yet?