Old Stinger XT

Allen207

Newly Enlightened
Having been a police officer for 25 years, I have accumulated quite a few flashlights. I recently upgraded an old incandescent 6P with a Malkoff drop in unit and I am very pleased with the results. I noticed that there is a Malkoff drop in for a Streamlight Stinger XP as well. I was looking at my Stinger today and it does not seem as modular as the Surefire. Has anyone upgraded their Stinger and care to comment? I also have an old 6 c cell Maglite I used on foot patrol that I would love to make into something special. It is unfortunate I do not have the electrician skill that would allow me to do much beyond a drop in mod.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't have a Stinger, so I can't comment on how well the drop-in works.

Many of the maglite mods are relatively easy once you get the parts, the hard part is picking the parts that suits you. For example, a LED maglite mod typically consists of a few cutting steps (removing the bulb post and cutting the cap off the reflector), a few soldering steps (solder wires from driver to switch, soldering driver wires to LED), and the assembly step (add thermal grease/glue to bottom of LED, insert heatsink with LED and driver). You don't need to understand how the LED works, or how to program a microcontroller, or design a boost driver. All you'll need to know is how to solder and cut.

For the 6C, you could do a Cree XM-L mod. You'll need the LED, a buck driver (circuit to lower battery voltage to the LED's voltage), a Maglite C heatsink, and some thermal paste or glue/epoxy (glue preferred, so you won't need something else to attach the LED). Or you can get a Maglite C drop-in from Malkoff.

Another option is use 6 rechargeable batteries and do a ROP mod. IIRC, the ROP mod is even easier to do then the LED mods.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I have an old Stinger that I used when I was an auto mechanic. I just used Strion bulbs in it & installed a Borofloat glass lens in it. I'm about to order a Malkoff drop in for it though as I still use the Stinger in the garage. I was never a fan of the Terralux drop ins.

I've done mods to the Stinger HP & did the same to my own personal one.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...uot-Drop-In-Module-quot&p=2544769#post2544769