How water resistant are non-waterproof LED strips (Electronic Question)

Transisto

Newly Enlightened
I am considering using LED strips (3528) on the fire extinguisher pipes in a room that accommodate a lots of people about once a week. My concern is about moisture condensing and dripping onto them.

I was thinking on removing any salts and impurity by cleaning thoroughly the pipes or repainting them before applying the LEDs.

I currently test with a strip with the last two feet in a water bucket and it seems not to affect them, (2hrs now).

What I think would happen is the LEDs may get brighter due to lower resistance of the "151" resistor. This and the power supply protection may tip if it's sipping to much power.

Your thoughts ?

Transisto

Newly Enlightened
Update : They started blinking, The problem happened at the junction used to solder them 3 by 3. Some blue matter appeared at that location.

SemiMan

Banned
I am considering using LED strips (3528) on the fire extinguisher pipes in a room that accommodate a lots of people about once a week. My concern is about moisture condensing and dripping onto them.

I was thinking on removing any salts and impurity by cleaning thoroughly the pipes or repainting them before applying the LEDs.

I currently test with a strip with the last two feet in a water bucket and it seems not to affect them, (2hrs now).

What I think would happen is the LEDs may get brighter due to lower resistance of the "151" resistor. This and the power supply protection may tip if it's sipping to much power.

Your thoughts ?

Condensed water by its very nature is distilled and pretty much non conductive. It gets its conductivity by picking up residue on the board.

You may end up with some corrosion.

Are they on all the time? If you are concerned, buy a small jar of silicone conformal coat and coat the board.

Semiman

Transisto

Newly Enlightened
Condensed water by its very nature is distilled and pretty much non conductive. It gets its conductivity by picking up residue on the board.

You may end up with some corrosion.

Are they on all the time? If you are concerned, buy a small jar of silicone conformal coat and coat the board.

Semiman

silicone conformal coat , Noted.

Thank you, and congratulation for your 1000th post.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update : They started blinking, The problem happened at the junction used to solder them 3 by 3. Some blue matter appeared at that location.

You're getting corrosion between dissimilar metals in presence of a current. I just de-wired an XM-L aquarium light this way. Almost any water contamination will enable this around a voltage difference.