Nitecore EC1 - anyone have this problem?

CYMac

Newly Enlightened

Anyone have this and used the RCR in the light? I turned it on turbo for only like less than 1 mins and it turn off already. Later on, I checked and the battery seems to be used up. So plugged the 2nd RCR in and it work again but same patter apply. What is wrong? When you plug in a normal CR123a, it is much dimmer as well.

Dubois

Enlightened
I don't have the light, but think that there might be something wrong with your battery. In the video, the light flashing function showed a voltage of 3.7v - this is already very low. A fresh RCR123 should be nearer 4.2v, so I would try again with a fully charged cell.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Actually no, the RCR you were talking about is the 3.6v 16340 right? The one I used in the light is 3.0v (3.2v) rechargeable CR123, so that is why..

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
They come off the charger (or should) at 4.2 volts fully charged. I would take a shot of my cotterpickers charger, which has a display showing the climbing voltage as it charges, if I had it to hand.

I have the EC1 too, and I haven't experienced this problem? Stays on max just fine, and lasts a while?
It could be a faulty driver/circuit? It wouldn't surprise me...nitecore's quality control can be questionable at times...I have had to return 2 previous models due to faults on arrival :(

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Ew.. that's sucks. How long can the EC1 run on turbo mode if using the RCR? Am I expecting at least like 5mins? or longer?

I should try again with a 16340 and see if it can last long, if not, then I know it is a bad Qc'd one. Jetbeam/Nitecore NEED to learn to improve their QC! I had a few JETBeams before that came F'd up already, man! This is frustrating!

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
FOUND THE PROBLEM - battery issue. I plugged in a normal CR123a and it runs flawlessly. While having the RCR in the light, you can press the mode button (when on) and hold it.. and it access a turbo on turbo mode.. which made the turbo a tiny bit brighter and that mode is the thing that screw it up. When use normal CR123 that mode is not there and it can run for a long time.

Basically I think it is the heat that cause it to shut off. so I will stick with normal CR123a then, sucks.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got it solved, although something doesn't seem to add up to me. What RCR's were you using exactly?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe that's it then. Have you thought about trying a normal ICR li-ion cell (AW RCR/16340)? These have a higher voltage and will probably run better in the EC1 (IMO).

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
I did plug a 3.7v Ultrafire 16340 in and it worked... must be the stupid Trenergy then.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing wrong with your batteries, it's just that the light is trying to decide which kind of battery is in it. The Tenergy's are just high enough in voltage to let the light know it's not a primary, but still low enough for the light to think it's an almost dead Li-ion.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing wrong with your batteries, it's just that the light is trying to decide which kind of battery is in it. The Tenergy's are just high enough in voltage to let the light know it's not a primary, but still low enough for the light to think it's an almost dead Li-ion.

Wow thanks for that word and I am glad I had not tossed my Trenergy!!! Great! Now I know the battery is still usable! Thanks!