Recommend a reliable, durable P60-style drop-in...

strat81

Newly Enlightened
Recommend a reliable, durable P60-style drop-in that is NOT a Malkoff. Malkoffs are fine, I own two of them (M61 and M61L) and am very please with them. But, the budget does not allow for Malkoffs in every light.

Reliability and durability are at the top of the requirements list. Must be able to withstand rifle-mounted use, Rogers technique pistol work, and general knock-about use.
Single mode only.
Preferably under $30, $45 at most.
Output of 150-250 lumens + or -.
Must be LED with at least a 2 hour run time at max output.
Must run safely on 2xCR123A primaries. No rechargeables.
Will be used in a 6P host.
Strong preference to US-made products but I accept that at this price, I may have to go with a Chicom unit. Anything nice coming out of Japan or even Korea?
Expected use is primarily at indoor distances, up to 25 yards, but longer throw wouldn't hurt.

I was looking at the TNVC Q5 based on its reliability as reported by folks at AR15.com, but 1) It's MIC, 2) Run time isn't impressive, and 3) It's an older design and I presume there is something better out there.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you said no Malkoffs but I have to recommend them anyway. They have "blemished" versions of the M61 for only $29 each. I think they pretty well meet all of your other qualifications. They currently have 9 in stock.

If you already knew of these then please disregard :oops:

strat81

Newly Enlightened
I know you said no Malkoffs but I have to recommend them anyway. They have "blemished" versions of the M61 for only $29 each. I think they pretty well meet all of your other qualifications. They currently have 9 in stock.If you already knew of these then please disregard :oops:
I am aware, but the reminder never hurts. :)My concern is that if/when they run out of blems, I'll need a backup source.If it was M61L blems in the store, I'd probably buy a half dozen though!

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
If you can't go Malkoff, have Nailbender or vinhnguyen54 build you up something. They can both pot the electronics.
I don't know if they'll certify/warranty them for use on a rifle, though.