iPhone 5 anyone?

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I just pre-ordered a Black 32GB iPhone 5 from Verizon about an hour ago. Apparently I was a little late for the sooner shipping date as Apple sold out of the pre-orders in the first 60 minutes early this morning, and now I will have to wait till about the 26th-28th or so. I'm still excited though! Anyone else pre-order theirs yet??
:twothumbs

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Can't afford one myself, but an observation: Usually when Apple does an upgrade release, there are shouts of, "OH, THEY HARDLY UPGRADED ANYTHING," or, "IT DOESN'T HAVE [new feature released on some other phone earlier in the month,]" but that's all mysteriously absent this time - it seems Apple has done so many of these upgrade releases that people are actually getting used to the slow-and-steady design philosophy..

And isn't anyone else happy to see video back on the Nano?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on a 2 year contract cycle - so I got a 4S last year, and I'll end up with a 5S next year.

guardpost3

Enlightened
I would love to buy an Iphone simply because it is the best engineered handset on the market. I've never held a cell phone that has screamed build quality more than the Iphone, at least the 4S that I've used. I watched the unvailing and the 5 looks pretty impressive.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the iphone4 so I'll definitely be getting the iPhone5, I don't know if I'll try the order though. I'll wait till there in the at&t locations. How much larger is it? I hope My holsters still work

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told my wife that I was going to jump on the pre-order today and she argued that I don't use my personal cell phone enough to warrant it. She's right, of course, but, I'm a geek so I want one. Part of her argument is that I have a work issued iPhone 4 that has pretty much made my personal phone, a POS LG dumb phone, redundant.

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
I have been using android phones till now but when the iPhone5 is available here, September 28th, I'm going to get one. The days seem to go by slowly this last couple of weeks.. There is a need in me for a phone that not only is functional but also feels good just looking at it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
32GB black iPhone 5 ordered at the local Telstra dealer for release day to replace my black 32GB iPhone 4.

Norm

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not big enough changes from switching from the 4.
Maybe a 5s unless I 'lose' my phone keke
Im going to take a hard look at the Nokia 920 though. It's not an easy choice nowadays. I played with my friends Samsung s3 and it was nice.

N10

Newly Enlightened
they've changed the doc connector! lol just wandering how many electronics mainly audio devices will be rendered obsolete with this new/smaller dock connector. it's kind of a bigger,better & faster iphone 4s from what i've read...

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I just got the 4S a few months ago and love it so no hurry for the 5.BTW do they come with the adapter for the dock connector,i think they have some fancy name for it :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't come with a Lightning/Dock adapter. You have to buy one for $29.

They changed it because they needed more room inside the phone, and the dock connector design was 9 years old.

I don't mind that they changed it - and I suspect that all the third party accessory manufacturers are rubbing their hands in glee.

Mr.Sun

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I are suppose to pick up our 2 reserved 16gb White iPhone 5s the 21st, very excited the 3Gs we've had have served us well :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm on a 2 year contract cycle - so I got a 4S last year, and I'll end up with a 5S next year.

Me too.

I don't use my personal cell phone enough to warrant it. She's right, of course, but, I'm a geek so I want one.

Sounds like a job for iPod Touch. Everything but the phone/LTE data, that you can upgrade on its own cycle. Or better yet, the iPad coming out next month.

Not big enough changes from switching from the 4.

My favorite features isn't a feature. The 5 shell is made sturdy enough not to need a case.

They don't come with a Lightning/Dock adapter. You have to buy one for $29.

If you can get one, they're already sold out.

BTW, this is one of those changed that people/companies cry about for 6 months, then cheer over 2-3 years later. For example, EU customer can buy a micro usb adapter. Not as good though, as charging takes longer with USB's power limits.

The real full will be when 3rd party shops come out with new stands and things that take advantage of the port's new capabilities.

I saw a cartoon in today's paper.

A husband and wife are sitting at a table, husband asks wife: "Is it too soon to start obsessing over an iPhone6?"

Struck me as funny. Btw I never thought I'd become an Apple Fan-Boy......until I purchased my iPad2.

~ Chance

flashflood

Enlightened
They changed it because they needed more room inside the phone, and the dock connector design was 9 years old.

What's surprising is that there's any connector at all. I would have expected Apple to keep the old 30-pin connector until they switched to inductive charging. That's all you really need the connector for anymore -- all data transfer can be done over WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's surprising is that there's any connector at all. I would have expected Apple to keep the old 30-pin connector until they switched to inductive charging. That's all you really need the connector for anymore -- all data transfer can be done over WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

The decision was made primarily regarding space inside the device, and I'd like to bet and inductive charging circuit and antenna would take up even more space than the old dock connector.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck no, I heard they are going to be selling the best model of the iphone 4(4S) for like $50 which shouldve started a couple days ago, and thats what I am going to get. The 4 is all I need, and its not that much less advanced than the 5, but it will be a fraction of the price!

Last edited:

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
No thanks, I won't buy anything Apple. The thought of my money in ManBearPig's pocket makes me ill.