Maglite tail swich build.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi flashlight enthusiasts,

I just finished up my latest creation. I have been wanting to get this going for a while I just hadn't made the time to do it until now.

The first thing I did was to select a switch capable of doing the job. There are a lot of push button switches out there but not with a high enough load capacity that will fit in the tail of a D Maglite.

A McClickie would have been the easiest choice, but these switches are really not built to do what I need them to do. Dont get me wrong, for small lights they are very robust, but the resistance in them is fairly high and I dont like the size of the spring VS a 26650 or D cell.

I ordered a whole spread of the Judco switches and tried a few of them out including the forward click one. Sadly the only way to get a good feel out of that one would be with a raised switch boot ( Yes Techjunkie, I know you told me so), there is just too much travel on that switch. It was like trying to stick your thumb down far enough to touch your wrist or something, just not a good feeling:shakehead.

After a quick look at the others the field narrowed rapidly to the stumpy 10A reverse click. Its small, heavy duty and has a very short travel.

The next step was to bore out the tail cap to fit the mag switch boot.

magtailswitch008.jpg

I used the factory boot so the light will still be able to tail stand when it is done.

Next I needed to make a housing to support the boot and hold the new switch. Delrin is the preferred material. Ahh if only everything machined like this stuff.

magtailswitch003.jpg

Here's what she looks like all nestled into place.

magtailswitch005.jpg

That little part looks fairly simple but man is there a lot of steps and changeovers to get all the little angles and cuts made in that thing.:toilet:

Now we need a second piece to hold the spring. All we have to do for this is pop the lid off a film canister.:party:

magtailswitch004.jpg

LOL.... A film canister.. YEAH RIGHT! :crackup: Seriously though more cutting, change overs and steps. Fortunately I have my QCTP to ease the pain :) .

Here is the final product.

magtailswitch006.jpg

Now it's time to make a host.

Oddly enough the place to start here is with the knurl pattern. I thought about it and didn't see any way to get what I wanted from a 2D so I jumped to a 3D.

Doing the tail switch mod means having to cut and re-thread the light from both ends anyway so I figured I might as well get the look I want too.

magtailswitch001.jpg

A plug is needed at the other end where the old switch was, so acetyl and copper it is.

magtailswitch002.jpg

A groove is then cut for a snap ring to sit above to hold it in place.

magtailswitch009.jpg

Here is the little guy all finished up.

magtailswitch011.jpg

VS a 2D Mag.

magtailswitch010.jpg

EDIT: After posting this I have heard numerous comments about wanting a C size so I decided to go ahead and detail a few other options.

Here is what the C will look like.

magtailswitch012.jpg

magtailswitch013.jpg

I'll offer thees for sale here

Let's hear your thoughts on this guys..!

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way I know of to get a clickie that small that will carry a load that heavy is to take apart one of the radio shack ones. My local one sells a clickie that is rated for 3A @ 125V. The button on the one I got was square, but when I took off the outer shell it was a round clickie. Even thought the switch is only "rated" at 3A when you take it apart and see the contacts in there the thick chunks of copper inside will lead you to believe differently. Even the judcos dont compare.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get my act together (more important projects to do myself) I'm going to see if you're interested in making me a 1D sized mag with tail switch....or whatever size a tail switch mag could go down to. Probably a little while off but it'll happen - your work is too good not to!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats very nice of you to say Mattaus. In the meantime while your saving up remember eye candy is free!

After hearing several mentions of a C version I went ahead and made one up, I hadn't initially planned to do a C but it seems that a lot of people have interest. Pictures have been added to the OP.

simplec6

Enlightened
Awesome thread VoB. Thanks for sharing your custom creations with all of us!

missionaryman

Enlightened
I'm glad you're doing these, it's been a very long time since Mac stopped making his without any options in between.
I have an existing cut down and re-anodised host that I'd like to convert to a tailswitch type, if I sent it to you could you mod it?
I'll send you a pm with my email because I don't check into the CPF all that often any more due to time but the habit still has a feint pulse.

Maglight240

Newly Enlightened
These are awesome! New here and stumbled onto this thread. I love Maglites and I have never seen or even thought this type of a mod existed. So cool.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Maglight240!

Mag mods have a huge following here. If you look in the Homemade and modified section of the forum you can find many lights that will blow your mind. Some of the old school mods can be found by googling Mag623. Here is a list with some of the other older type incandescent mods that still top the charts for output.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1-LuxLuthor-s-Most-Powerful-Maglite-Mods-List

Here is one with some of the LED stuff listed.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lite-LED-and-incan-mods-and-drop-ins-Overview

Last edited:

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the mag c stock length or cut down to?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wolfen,

The tail switch for the mag C will work for one of my shorty mags, or if you wanted one that will work with a standard length mag I can do that as well.