Small form factor that will do 1 lumen or less forever and ever (amen)

danpass

Newly Enlightened
Something that will fit in a pen loop even if just relatively well.

Right now I'm using the rayovac led pen (aaa) and that's about as thick as will work in the kneeboard.

I've seen the Quarks have a 0.2 lum mode with a wide spill, both factors are great for cockpit usage.

But their site has so many choices for the seemingly same form factor and cell usage.

Perhaps an enterprising CPFr can narrow it down, even if another brand.

One consideration is that it must be able to use lithium cells. I'd like to 'set it and forget it' basically.

Thanks.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite TI Firefly.

Stick an Energizer lithium in there. The low mode won't be as low with 10440, however.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark 2AA XML (QP2A-X) run in an optional 1xAA tube, sometimes with 1x14500 for 400 lumen power, is my personal favorite for sub-lumen. The XML does not run as long on moonlight as the XPG emitters, but I like the really floody beam.

Next up, particularly if want really small, is a the EagleTac D25A Clicky (I have the XML Ti version in NW). Very similar UI as the Quark, but direct drive on Li-ions (lost modes), some pseudo PWM on moonlight, more QC issues, and CS lacking... beautiful light though.

Zebralights are certainly worth looking into, but I'm put off by their warranty. Thrunites tend to have big gaps between moonlight and the next levels.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak 2AAA Eiger pen light. You would have to special order a level 1 head.

danpass

Newly Enlightened
The Quark 2AA XML (QP2A-X) run in an optional 1xAA tube, sometimes with 1x14500 for 400 lumen power, is my personal favorite for sub-lumen. The XML does not run as long on moonlight as the XPG emitters, but I like the really floody beam.

Next up, particularly if want really small, is a the EagleTac D25A Clicky (I have the XML Ti version in NW). Very similar UI as the Quark, but direct drive on Li-ions (lost modes), some pseudo PWM on moonlight, more QC issues, and CS lacking... beautiful light though.

Zebralights are certainly worth looking into, but I'm put off by their warranty. Thrunites tend to have big gaps between moonlight and the next levels.
is it only the Quark QP series that have the really floody beams?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

As a general rule, the larger the emitter and the smaller the head/reflector, the floodier the light. XMLs are large emitters, XPG and XP-G2 are smaller... The Quark Pros and Tacticals use the same head, and can be had with both emitters. The large head Turbos, obviously, are for throw. The ET D25A with XML is floodier still.

Yamabushi

Enlightened

The Quark Tactical QT series have the same floody beam and output ranges as the Quark Pro QP series but a different UI. You program a QT to have 2 settings (which could both be 0.2 lumens) readily available at any given time. This could give you the "set it and forget it" you said you want.

Latest posts