H51w or H51wf?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a long time I having been carrying an H51w as my main EDC light and a Quark high CRI mini AA as a backup light. While I am able to use the Quark as a headlamp almost as well as the H51w, it is not as useable as a necklight as the H51w is. This is how I use my lights 80% of the time.

To simplify things, I have decided to buy another ZL light so I can EDC two functionally similar lights. But which ZL light?

Almost two years ago, I bought the H51w because I like the idea of being able to use a diffuser film for a floody beam and take it off when I need more throw. Well, I have never taken the diffuser film off since owning the light. It's clear that my usage calls for a floody beam.

I am hoping someone who has both the the H51w and the H51wf would answer some questions more me.

Is the beam profile of the H51wf more even than the H51w with a diffuser film?

In other words, is the beam of the H51wf better than the beam of the H51w with a diffuser film?

Thank you.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to jump in without being able to answer what you asked for, but I have an H51Fc -largely chosen due to your's and other's reviews and usage mods.

The Floody lens almost certainly out performs a diffusion film, each surface probably gives losses... lens interior surface, lens exterior surface, adhesive surface on lens, adhesive surface at diffuser, diffuser inner surface, diffuser outer surface. Six surfaces instead of two surfaces.

The glass floody lens is excellent, there is a very diffused hotter zone in the center that's about as big as a basket ball at arms length... It is just enough to notice a bit when reading, its really not as good of a reading light as a pure flood of course but for most tasks the big diffused hot zone is really great with most of the light going twards my center of view but plenty of light for peripheral vision.
I think that it's a nearly perfect compromise.

stp

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if you are up to date with ZL products so I'm just checking: did you considered H502? I have H51w but I don't have H502 so I can't speak from my personal experience but it looks like a lots of people are quite happy with H502d.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I just got my H31Fw & 502d.
The beam is really really different between the two. At same distance, 502d cover 1/3 wider area. In 40 feet distance, H31Fw already noticably out perform 502d.
H31Fw is not as warm as I expected from pictures and videos I have seen but it is the perfect warmness I am looking for. Same time I use 502d for micro photography a lot more.
H31Fw doesn't seem to have s.o.s. flash. I can't answer your question directly cuz I do not own H31 to compare with diffuse film. Between the two if I MUST choose, I think I favor H31Fw slightly more.
They do serve different purpose. Since they are small, I always carry both.

7974302049_7e759cca3c_z.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I can see owning the H51wf in the future.

wuyeah,

That's a great picture. You have fine photography skill.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the H51 and H51f (neither are warm however). I use the H51 with diffuser all the time as well. It's not quite as even as the H51f however. I use the H51f primarily and the H51 (with diffusion material) is the backup.

I'd get the H51wf if I were you. :)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
also, if you are planning to mainly use the light on it's mid to lower settings then do take a close look at the stats of the 4200K "warm" vs the 4000Krebel "cri".
the cri version actually beats the warm and cool versions for lumens/runtime at the lower levels, very efficient.

koala3

Newly Enlightened
David, have you gotten the H51Fw yet? I'd like to have both like you, but I do have the Fw and its great for almost everything, love the little light(also my first highend light)
What sort of distance does the H51w throw usable light on medium 1 or 2?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
David, have you gotten the H51Fw yet? I'd like to have both like you, but I do have the Fw and its great for almost everything, love the little light(also my first highend light)
What sort of distance does the H51w throw usable light on medium 1 or 2?

No, I have not. Waiting to see if they offer H52(w). I use a diffuser film on my H51w at all time. So don't know how far it throws with the diffuser.

koala3

Newly Enlightened
I live in the city, so testing it in full darkness outside is not an option :(
But the empty lot across the street from my house is fairly dark, wouldn't go tromping in it with no light. I'd give it maybe ~25' of usable walking light on medium 1 and maybe ~35' on the highs, not terribly much more throw for the drastically reduced run time. Short distance, <15' as I got the light for its awesome, I also never thought I would say that 2 or .16 lumen was too bright, I can easily navigate total dark on either of those.
My guesstimates may be off, next chance I'll get the big tape measure out in the country and get some better measurements. I also would like a 51w, maybe an SC for a regular flashlight, hows the throw on the 51w with no film on it?

Planz

Newly Enlightened
No, I have not. Waiting to see if they offer H52(w). I use a diffuser film on my H51w at all time. So don't know how far it throws with the diffuser.

I'm also waiting for H52fw or fc. Should be easy for zebra since they already have the H502d and H502c done up.
Not sure what's holding them up

Pretbek

Newly Enlightened
I'm also waiting for H52fw or fc. Should be easy for zebra since they already have the H502d and H502c done up.
Not sure what's holding them up

I read in the SC52 thread that they were having a hard time getting sufficient amounts of Neutral and HCRI emitters in. Shortage, but I dunno why.