Surefire LX2 doesn't like being mounted on rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I mounted my 2 1/2 year old LX2 to my AR and it does not like the shock. It flickers like it is on strobe when the rifle fires. It will even do it dry firing or closing the bolt to chamber a round. I have an email with Surefire, but have not heard back from them yet. I am really surprised at the problem. I notice it will also do it if it is dropped on carpet even. Leaves me scratching my head...

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have experience with weapon mounting an LX2 but I have never had either of mine exhibit any flickering. To be sure I just bounced one of them off the floor a few times and had no issues.

Have you cleaned the threads, particularly at the tailcap, recently? It might be worth it to make sure they are nice and clean.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I have cleaned the threads on the tailcap and the head. Tried new batteries also. Wish I had another tailcap switch to try.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX2 wasn't designed to be weapon mounted, so I'm not surprised that it is acting odd. The cells aren't fully spring isolated, so the head is the likely causing issue, not the tailcap. Recoil will drive the cells forward into the head, away from the tailcap. Even though according to Surefire it was used properly, they'll likely take care of it.

A 6P makes a much better weapon mounted light platform.

Grizz

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
My e2dl was exhibiting the same behavior, but was never mounted on a firearm. Surefire fixed it up for me. They replaced the head and tail.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 is a two modes light and not designed to be a weapon mounted light, the recoil is causing the light to jump between modes.

The recoil could damage it, but dry firing or closing the bolt is hardly any shock at all. Something's wrong with the light. At least now there is.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recoil could damage it, but dry firing or closing the bolt is hardly any shock at all. Something's wrong with the light. At least now there is.

Huh. Well that figures. Damage from recoil of 5.56. My fault I guess. Thought it would hold up. Surefire probably won't warranty it then. Back to the china lights. They work as good or better and cost very little. Guess I will save my surefires for reading and lite duty.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. Well that figures. Damage from recoil of 5.56. My fault I guess. Thought it would hold up. Surefire probably won't warranty it then. Back to the china lights. They work as good or better and cost very little. Guess I will save my surefires for reading and lite duty.

Get an Elzetta.
It's better than a SureFire, and will take any recoil that your rifle can dish out.
Elzetta also makes mounts for it.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an Elzetta.
It's better than a SureFire, and will take any recoil that your rifle can dish out.
Elzetta also makes mounts for it.

Elzetta uses malkoff drop ins don't they?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The electrical contacts for the SureFire L-series two-stage tailcaps are rather small - they do their job well during normal use but I wouldn't expect that they would perform nearly as well under recoil as the solid slug of aluminum which constitutes the contact switch of the SureFire P/Z/C series.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electrical contacts for the SureFire L-series two-stage tailcaps are rather small - they do their job well during normal use but I wouldn't expect that they would perform nearly as well under recoil as the solid slug of aluminum which constitutes the contact switch of the SureFire P/Z/C series.

Yes I looked at that when I found the problem. I thought they looked rather small. I thought it would be larger. Wishing now I would have kept my l4 with twisty. Maybe that one would hold up. I haven't heard from surefire yet but I would guess they will not cover it since it was "misused". I have been a diehars surefire guy for a long time but I am starting to get a little turned away with the problems I have been encountering lately. Plus they keep raising prices on all of it. I don't really know what to think anymore.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just call them and just say your LX2 isn't working right they'll fix it immediately. I personally would be surprised if yours was damaged from the recoil (probably much less of a direct shock than knocking it off a table) but Surefire only recommends shock-isolated lights for weapon use.

Probably more of a head issues than a tailcap issue.

By the way, don't bother emailing them. You'll probably never hear back or if you do they'll screw up the order. Surefire only goes by telephone.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just call them and just say your LX2 isn't working right they'll fix it immediately. I personally would be surprised if yours was damaged from the recoil (probably much less of a direct shock than knocking it off a table) but Surefire only recommends shock-isolated lights for weapon use.

Probably more of a head issues than a tailcap issue.

By the way, don't bother emailing them. You'll probably never hear back or if you do they'll screw up the order. Surefire only goes by telephone.

That's how I have always contacted them was by email. I sent the emaol last week. I will try and call them today.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emailing SF is a waste most of the time. 90% of the "bad Surefire customer service" threads you read start with "I emailed Surefire about my problem." Call, tell the rushed-sounding guy on the phone your light's acting up, and you'll get an RMA number no questions asked.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually ran a 5.56 AR for a while with a mounted E2D LED with no ill effects. I would say that your LX2 should have definitely survived a limited number or firings, especially from a 5.56. I'm not gonna mount my LX2 to confirm that it's a design flaw. ha ha

The "No Hassle Warranty" section in the manual states that it doesn't cover damage from misuse or abuse, but it doesn't specify that rifle mounting constitutes abuse. Neither the manual or box have any warnings against weapon mounting the light, so I'm still willing to bet that they'll take care of the problem. They'll probably just tell you to not use it as a weaponlight in the future.

As long as you choose an appropriate Surefire handheld light and drop-in, it should tolerate as much recoil as you can. I just bought a 9P Original last month for $60, and added a McClicky switch and Malkoff M61L drop-in. It will live it's life hanging off my HD 12 gauge, and should be very happy to do it.

Grizz

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened

What about those of an AZ2? Wouldn't they be similar to those of an lx2? Granted, it's not meant to be weapon mounted, but it is meant to be used in conjuntion with a weapon. I think it is just a broke lx2.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about those of an AZ2? Wouldn't they be similar to those of an lx2? Granted, it's not meant to be weapon mounted, but it is meant to be used in conjuntion with a weapon. I think it is just a broke lx2.

I just watched a review video of the AZ2, and it showed the rear of the head (through the body tube). Yes, the head is of the same design as the LX2, so a poor choice for weapon mounting.

Grizz

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I am S.O.L. with Surefire Warranty. When I called and told them it was flashing he asked when it did it...IE all the time or just random. Well it doesn't do it unless its on the AR. So I was informed that the LX2 is not recommend for weapon mounting and not to mount it to a rifle.....So Yeah. Surefire said they would send me a new tailcap. I guess I just wont mount it. It works as normal not mounted, and I did some night shooting with my handgun and it was fine. So thats that I guess. Guess that $200 plus light is kinda weak. I have had G2'S mounted for years and might go through a bulb sooner but that about it. Man it's too bad too cause the LX2 was awesome as a weapon light..Great throw for a carbine. I will try something else. Thanks for all the responses guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.