any new super lights

Dieselpusher6262

Newly Enlightened
So I have been wondering if any one/company is currently making the ultra high output lights like they where a year or two ago. Think of the kerberos and Kenji quads in a p60 platform. I know oveready has there new triple out with 1600 lumens, but if memory serves when the high powered quad first came out there where oveready triples that make a1000 lumens or less. Now today there products are making 50 percent more. Have any of the quads been updated. I was just wondering since it seems like oveready can even keep there lights in stock because of demand that there would be other companies out there trying for there piece of the pie. And please don't get me wrong I love oveready products there moddoo pocket is my edc and I love it, but I do think competition makes for greatness and was just wondering what's out there that is giving them a run for there money.

Dieselpusher6262

Newly Enlightened
nobody competes in the p60 or smaller size format with outragious lumens. first i am sure that evey newer member hear wants to know about this, since when i first became interested in flashlights that is what i wanted to know about and buy. but also there has to be people out there that perfer ungodly amounts of light from the smallest package. i think the ti lights with trits are pretty, but i want to use and abuse my lights. i have no interest in caring if they are dirty, unless it effects the output. come on my fellow members help find whats out there and at very least use this as a soap box for what you want made.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most part, everyone uses the same Triple boards from Lux R/C. So what one manufacturer has the other makes also. Some buy the triple mounted LED boards (from the same suppliers) and add a driver of their own selection. But the board/LED is the limiting factor. So Basically nobody is making more lumens than the others. Personally I prefer the highly driven XML's. The first 1100 lumen triples made 850-900 OTF. The 3A XML's do that also. Now the top triple is 1600 OTE. I get 1400-1450 OTE with my 4.8 Amp XML. Plus the XML has a real hot spot with twice the Lux. I'll take a 10% loss in lumens for twice the throw of the XML. Not to mention I can get an XML built/delivered in a few days for $55 dollars. A Triple will run $150 and you wait on a list to get one. If you're lucky.

fyrstormer

Banned
Most of the other super-bright lights are larger, because larger batteries experience less strain from high output. The Nitecore Tiny Monster comes to mind.

It is very easy to "use and abuse" a titanium light. Titanium is as strong as steel and half as heavy. I carry three titanium lights of various sizes every day and I haven't damaged one yet.

Dieselpusher6262

Newly Enlightened
ok so i guess the triple boards are from lux-rc, but there where a couple people making quads that i never really seem to hear about. and i do know that a 2000 lumens pocket rocket is not that usefull but when combined with different modes u end up using low and medium most of the time but i personally really like to have that option. and as too the ti lights you are correct. that metal is light and strong and have absoulty nothing against them personally, but you are paying a huge preium for sonething that looks pretty, yet doesnt have the electrical properities of copper, the coolijg effienecy of aluminum. so to my very simple mind you are paying alot more for a product that isnt superior in any way. enough said that is just my option. but thanks for the responses, glad to see the input

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
For the most part, everyone uses the same Triple boards from Lux R/C.

Lux boards are expensive, more than many finished drop ins, even in volume. Of the shops using them to any degree, most have stopped or shifted to cheaper options.

Dieselpusher6262

Newly Enlightened
Really surprised there isn't more interest in this. Come now fellow members what new options are there in super bright small forum lights out there?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really surprised there isn't more interest in this. Come now fellow members what new options are there in super bright small forum lights out there?
Are you meaning p60 format only, or other compact lights? Seems pocket single cells lights have been getting brighter and brighter. But you have heat and runtime issues to contend with.

a p60 will struggle to deal with a single well driven XM-L for any sort of prolonged use due to heat, despite there being plenty of such drop in's available. Multi XM-L's will offer more lumens and less throw but likely a lot more heat. So what real world advantage would you be looking for?

If you want a triple or more XM-L light then there custom options out there (or build it yourself). But it'll get hot and a single 18650 likely won't really cut it very well.

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
a p60 will struggle to deal with a single well driven XM-L for any sort of prolonged use due to heat, despite there being plenty of such drop in's available. Multi XM-L's will offer more lumens and less throw but likely a lot more heat. So what real world advantage would you be looking for?

Very Interesting.. I have not experience with triples or quads.. I have a TnC Ti 18650 P60 host with a 4.5A XML P60 dropin and I was considering a custom Triple or Quad XP-G2 running around 5A.. I was figuring this would give me 30% more lumens and more throw, but, based on your quote, I am not so sure this is wise investment....

brag

Newly Enlightened
I should have 2 Nailbender 3.5A XML's(single mode) in my hands in the next 2 days, ~$60 each(with a host) is a HUGE bargain. He also offers a 4.2a version, I'm on the fence, but I'm thinking I'll probably buy one module, just for comparison.

I've been looking at Oveready's triple, I need to dig deeper, I think one of the options is a tube running 2x 18500's, I'm not sure I could still run a 18650(maybe a long Callies 3100) in the same tube. With 2 IMR 18500 this light is going to be $350, but it's for my daughter, so it's still a cheap light(I would NOT replace if she lost it,lol). I'm not sure, but maybe they offer a XPG2 tipple.

hjdca, 4.5A XML, did you say WOW the first time you turned it on?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
a p60 will struggle to deal with a single well driven XM-L for any sort of prolonged use due to heat, despite there being plenty of such drop in's available.

Part of the thermal difference is the LEDs (one big vs several small), but there's also construction. Most multi XPG are built in custom/solid heat sinks that capture and transmit heat to the host. Most XML are built in reflector/pill setups originally designed to handle much less heat/power and lack the mass/transfer for continuous max operation.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been looking at Oveready's triple, I need to dig deeper, I think one of the options is a tube running 2x 18500's, I'm not sure I could still run a 18650

TL100/9P will fit 2x18500. To fit a single 18650, you would need a spacer to take up the extra 34mm.

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
hjdca, 4.5A XML, did you say WOW the first time you turned it on?

Yes, it is bright.. I have both an XML U2 3A and an XML U2 4.5 amp.. I tested them in the forest while hunting and at 125 yards, the 4.5 amp is noticable brighter and lights up more area... I was using a panasonic NCR18650B, 3400 mah.... I use copper tape and make both modules tight in my TnC host.. Both modules generate alot of heat, that worries me... Even medium on the 4.5 amp warms up the flashlight pretty good after 5 min..