I know the feeling...

appliancejunk

Enlightened
So my wife comes in the house the other night and ask me if I have a big bright flashlight.
Her dad just pulled up outside and is trying to fix his tail lights in the dark.

Not thinking much about it i point to the refrigerator she is standing next to and say use the Maglite.
It's a 2xAA LED Maglite that is mounted to the side of the refrigerator with a old Nite Ize magnetic holder.

She takes it out to her dad and a few minutes later I head out to see what is going on.
All was well and he already had the tail lights working.

The next day after thinking about it some more I tell my wife that I'm a little disappoint in her and she ask why.

Just the other day I gave her a new pink Photon Freedom to put on her key ring.
Said I was disappointed that she did not use it instead of asking me for a flashlight.

She said that she wanted a bigger brighter one.

Looked at her in awe as I said, I know the feeling... :)

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
My wife is studying to be a medical assistant. She was issued one of those disposable penlights for checking eyes and what not. I immediately bought her a Pelican Mity Lite 1900 (Xenon version). Xenon gives better color retention as it produces a light very similar to sunshine (perfect for checkinh eyes.) I wanted her to show it off to her friends and tell them "yep, my husband gave me that." However, she rarely uses it. She barely used it for Hurricane Isaac. I was not too happy about that. She likes my flashlight hobby, but only to a certain extent. Well enough of that, I just wanted to say that I can relate.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm not actually sure what you two are relating...well, if I only read the first post, I thought I got it...she wanted a bigger brighter light = She displays a FLASHAHOLIC sentiment.

In reading the second one...it sounds more like the opposite....= She displays a NOT A FLASHAHOLIC sentiment.

My own wife gave me warm fuzzies when I was offering her a couple of choices for her glove box and purse, choosing one because the beam was "A better shape" to see things in her jeep, than the other one, which threw too small a spot, even though it was "brighter".

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
My wife is studying to be a medical assistant. She was issued one of those disposable penlights for checking eyes and what not. I immediately bought her a Pelican Mity Lite 1900 (Xenon version). Xenon gives better color retention as it produces a light very similar to sunshine (perfect for checkinh eyes.) I wanted her to show it off to her friends and tell them "yep, my husband gave me that." However, she rarely uses it. She barely used it for Hurricane Isaac. I was not too happy about that. She likes my flashlight hobby, but only to a certain extent. Well enough of that, I just wanted to say that I can relate.

Nice sentiment, but be careful. I was an EMT many years ago and we were warned to use our personal lights for checking pupil response. Reason is that personal lights were typically too bright. Keep the patient safe and yourself (wife) out of hot water and use the standard issue for that purpose.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Nice sentiment, but be careful. I was an EMT many years ago and we were warned to use our personal lights for checking pupil response. Reason is that personal lights were typically too bright. Keep the patient safe and yourself (wife) out of hot water and use the standard issue for that purpose.

LOL

Too true....for checking pupils, it takes very little to see a response, etc. Of course, a light can also be used to see how equipment is working, check feet, chest rise/fall or other signs of health, and so forth.

ericjohn

Enlightened

ok thank you for the heads up...i will let her know. more than anything, i bought it for her so she could show it off to the rest of her classmates, lol. The problem with those issue lights is that they dim too quickly and you can't change batteries or bulb. I was cleaning out some of my flashlights some time ago and I gave my cousin (who is a nurse) a 2 AAA Mini Maglite. I had also given my wife several of those, but they always switch on in her purse and were eventually ruined and I scrapped them for parts. i don't know how my cousin is holding out with the light i gave her but since it is a vacuum bulb as well, i would imagine that it works well for her.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, during my career as an ophthalmologist, we always have recommended using an Olight SR-90 on turbo for checking a patient's pupils up close... Its best for the patient I always say...LOL

Seriously though, was the OP's wife's own flashlight as bright as the Maglight and she just didnt realize it because maybe she doesnt use it that much, and maybe she had that subconscious thought that since the Maglight is bigger, it must be brighter?
I was at a clients house a few weeks ago, and he is somewhat immobile, and he was having trouble with his washing machine, so I told him I'd look at it, and when I went to look behind it I grabbed my little BC-10 from my pocket, and he saw me with it, and he said "why dont you grab this larger light I have here so you can see better behind there"? So I grabbed his larger light, which was a cheap multi-LED lantern type thing with like 20 LED's that all point forward, and runs on several C batteries, so I shined it on the wall, then shined my little BC-10 on the wall and it was about 4-5 times brighter on high! But all I needed was the low setting anyway, so....

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe this doesn't happen everywhere but all too often I've seen it and would have to answer this by saying that when the department or whoever purchases the standard issue equipment based only on it's specs and performance rather than "how many can we get for a hundred bucks?"....then you can start using that excuse, don't try to convince me that they chose those throw-away penlights specifically because they are too low powered to do any damage.