Brightest LED drop-in with warm tint?

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for asking a noob question, but it appears throughout my research that the Malkoff M61W is the brightest drop-in with a warm tint. Am I wrong?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If you can find one, the Gen 1 Moddoo/TorchLAB Triple came in a warm option that pushed about double the lumens of a standard M61.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61W is a great drop in (one of my all time favorites) but it's not the brightest. The brightest warm Drop In from Malkoff himself is the new M91AW. Note that the M91s uses the XM-L LED instead of the XP-G. That means you get a floodier beam but more overall light.

Nailbender also has a sales thread over in the custom/modified board where he sells neutral XM-L drop ins that put out about the same amount of light.

If you're willing to go with a multiple LED drop-in, (linger, triple, quad, etc...) you can get even brighter but at that point you have to start thinking seriously about heat management, IMR cells, etc.

The M91AWs just started arriving so there aren't a lot of reviews yet but Malkoff isn't known for delivering anything but the absolute best. I can't believe you could go wrong there. His site says there's only 2 left in stock so you'd better hurry if that's the direction you want to go.

Cheers!

-G

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Any particular reason why nailbender's custom XM-L drop-ins are almost half price to the new M91AW?? The malkoff will work on the 6P right?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could get in trouble here so I'm going to tread lightly and preface this by saying that everything I'm about to tell you is purely speculation based on my observations.

Nailbender's drop ins are quite standard in terms of their design and construction. I believe he uses a pill/spring "kit" that he probably gets in bulk from somewhere. He also orders his reflectors from somewhere else (and they thread on to the pill), as well as his drivers. He basically solders and assembles everything according to your specifications, adds some thermal potting, tests it and sends it your way. He does a great job and he uses good stuff but I don't think he's making anything from scratch.

Malkoff's drop ins are a horse of a different color. The reflector was designed by another very reputable flashlight maker around here (McGizmo) and it's bonded inside of a very hefty brass heat sink/body that is machined specifically to the specifications of the drop in. The driver (I'll be honest I don't know what is used) is soldered inside the brass module and the tail end is filled with some kind of epoxy. It's just more customized and clearly has a higher cost of raw materials and assembly.

You can see what I'm talking about here:

M61W.jpg

(Image courtesy of Oveready)

nbxml3001.jpg

Image courtesy of Lighthound.

Also note that the M91AW just came out. It may drop after a while.

To answer your other question, yes this will fit a Surefire 6P. It was designed to do exactly that.

Last edited: