First post - Surefire Fury question

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking on here for a few weeks now, and thought it was about time to set up an account and say Hi.

I've always been intrigued by flashlights, but never really got into them. With that being said, I recently picked up a Viridian C5L taclight/laser for my Glock. This was the push that I needed to get a standalone light. Hoping that you all can answer a couple of questions for me. I had no idea there were mods and such, so i'm realizing that I know alot less then when I started this journey.

Currently, the "it" light that I am planning on getting is one of the SF Fury's. I want something that is bright, reliable, and has a great backing (company and community). I have not physically went to the store and looked at one yet - which is why I'm here (I generally shy away from "using" the salespeople when I have no intention on buying from them)

So I will cut to the chase and ask for your help.

1) How are the scalloped bezels on the surefires? I have no desire for tactical use - that's what my glock is for. But I have read (or interpreted) that some of the scallops are sharp enough that I would need to worry about it being in my pocket? This sounds odd to me, but I don't really want a light with a knife on the end either.

2) Not saying money is no object, but I'm not against spending $100+ on a light either. Is there something similar that I should be looking at? Currently, I am not looking at doing any mods. I know, I know... probably not the forum to come and say that. But for my first one - I'm looking for a good out of the box experience. Modding can come down the road.

I don't want this to turn into a "recommend me a light for" post - but I don't want to just leave all the questions for you guys either. This will be a general use light, no specific flood or throw requirements. Don't care about modes - low and high would be nice, but I'm leaning towards a tac version of the SF just for ease of use and the fact that I'd like a high/low mode vs the low/high that they are currently setup with. I've also never used a momentary on / twist to constant setup. I know it would take me a whole 5 seconds to change my habit, but I do like the clicky setup of the SF P2X Defender (but that brings me back to the sharpness of the bezel question)

So - can anyone confirm or dissuade my interest in the P2X line? Probably either looking at the Defender or the Tactical version. Also, are there any recommended vendors around here, or should I stick with B&H or whatever place has the cheapest price without a questionable website?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fury, in my opinion, is a nice general usage light. It's not the most powerful nor the best thrower but, for its size, it does both very well and I have no reason to question its reliability. I own the dual-output version and highly recommend it. To respond to your specific questions:

1) I don't know about the P2X Defender but the bezels on my E2D and E2DL's are a little bit on the sharp side. They are far from knife-like but I could see some persons having concerns with them causing pocket wear over the long term. I have had no issues and won't hesitate to carry one in my pocket but mine are more occasional carry than EDC.

2) Although you are not interested in modding (yet!) one alternative worth considering is a Malkoff MD2 with the new M61SHO drop-in. Output will be similar to the Fury and if you purchase it with the Hi/Lo bezel ring you can leave the bezel tightened for high mode and simply loosen it slightly for those times you want lower output. I'm sure there are other worthy recommendations but I don't have enough experience with other brands to make them.

As far as retailers are concerned, I feel confidant purchasing from any of the ones you see regularly mentioned on this site. There is a dealer section on the CPF Marketplace where you can gain more information.

Oh, and :welcome:

KarlG

Newly Enlightened
I have a P2X Fury. It is built like a tank, sees frequent use, is a very well built and constructed light. I fully expect years of use from it. The crenellations are sharp enough on the models you are looking at that you would not want to pocket carry them but the Fury itself is a bit large for an easy pocket carry. Most 2 cell Cr123 lights are. They really are better suited for a belt holder carry and the crenelated versions would be fine. I occasionally pocket carry the regular Fury and it easily fits but is a bit bulky and heavy to be planning on doing it daily.

Enjoy, I think it would be a fine light to start with and there are many parts for further upgrading should you decide you want to go that route.

If you want a pure pocket carry light, consider looking at single cell lights.

Mike 208

Enlightened
I have the Fury (P2X-B-BK, two output model) and I love it (it is my current EDC light). I bought it for work, but the "low-output" first did not do well at my job. I ended up buying a Streamlight ProTac HL, which works better for me at my job. The ProTac has higher output then the Fury (600 lumens vs. 500 for the Fury models), and is programmable.

The Fury Defender probably has "teeth" similar to the 6PD and E2DL lights I have. This means that the teeth are sharp, but not "knife sharp." It will tear up a pocket, so if you get this model you'll want a holster for it. You can also fit this light (as well as the other Fury models) with colored beam filters or a beam shaper/diffuser to "de-fang" the bezel (if you don't mind losing the "defense" part of the light). These filters can be very expensive (up to $140.00 USD for the diffuser and red filter, $50.00 USD for the blue filter), so you'll have to shop around if you want them (I use the older "slip-on" filters from my old Surefire 8X, and they work great. These filters also fit the ProTac, FYI). If you can find a good price, I do recommend getting the beam diffuser. Check on-line retailers and the CPF Marketplace for the best deals.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SureFire Fury with no sharp edges on the bezel. It is a great all-around light. Low comes on first and is enough light for most tasks. A second click will get a wall of light. It's well built and supported by the SureFire warrantee. It would make you a great light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) How are the scalloped bezels on the surefires?
2) Not saying money is no object, but I'm not against spending $100+ on a light either. Is there something similar I should be looking at?
Don't care about modes - low and high would be nice, butI'm leaning toward the tac version

1. Sleek & svelte. The one area sf has improved, much softer lines, maybe only a couple sharp edges from slightly less clean machining around the logo flats etc. Also far less aggressive knurling on this one in particular if that works for you.

2. Between the directions sf & their competition are headed lately, their's & everyone else's quality & price have converged imo (sf's a little lower, the competition a little higher, meeting toward the middle). Something better for similar price I'd suggest instead is a 6p with the m61 SHO. Especially since you're leaning toward the tac version anyway.

But if I had to buy a fury again, yes it'd definitely be the tacticool version, which was not available when I bought (& since flipped) mine.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have the SF Fury, and like it....the above commennts are about in line with my experience as well. I also have a Klarus XT11, and frankly, its a better overall light for me. I don't like the UI on the Fury, the two press thing leaves me with the wrong light level half the time, I prefer a light that just comes on in high, and I can go down from there if I need it to. The XT11 is tough, waterproof, and I can throw it against walls w/o it going out on me, etc. Its also got a sweet multimode pressure switch, so it can be adjusted for brightness, etc, remotely when I use it on an AR or pump gun, etc.

So I have both lights, but its the XT11 I take with me in my pocket as EDC.

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info everyone - I think I'm finding I might need more than 1 light for my purposes :D

Always starts at one doesn't it? I think the first one will be a tactical Fury though, then I will check out some of the multi-level lights for normal use (so I'm not using 500 lumens to look for something I dropped on the carpet)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info everyone - I think I'm finding I might need more than 1 light for my purposes :D

Always starts at one doesn't it? I think the first one will be a tactical Fury though, then I will check out some of the multi-level lights for normal use (so I'm not using 500 lumens to look for something I dropped on the carpet)

Yeah, you're gonna want that carpetlight first.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Fury. Nice light but it was too slick--no knurling on the outside. If my hands were very dry or very wet/greasy getting a grip on the thing was hard. It's also rather long and heavy. A 6P or 6Z with a multi-level dropin and a clickie tailcap makes more sense to me. Or in my case, I kept my old 100-lumen U2 that have yet to find a better replacement for.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

No wait!

If you don't like the idea of 6p + SHO (old school SF + Malkoff >>>> current SF), & you're going with the single mode tactical fury anyway, might as well go COMBAT tactical fury! DO IT!

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
Actually that may still be in my plans. Basically I just wanted to stay away from the strike bezel for this one. While this won't be an EDC for me, I want to be able to throw it in my jacket if needed. Go big or go home right?

Retinator

Enlightened
You know if you could swap heads, I'd prefer a Combat body with the Defender bezel, now THAT'S tactical. Would also make i easier to pull it out of the guy's head.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First post - Surefire Fury clarification

Fury Defender- strike bezel
Fury Combat- no strike bezel, only mild crenelations as found on most high end sf's
Fury, Fury Tactical- no crenelations, as found on most lower end sf's.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone comment on the tint of a stock Fury. I'm reading some reports of greenish tints. How would you describe it?

My Fury has cool white hotspot but no greenish. The corona seems a bit yellow and the spill to the purple side. That's very similar as my Jetbeam PA40 Neutral but that one has a warmer hotspot.