Why is the Bugatti Veyron sooooooo' heavy!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
**Warning: Frustration which leads to ranting....

This is one of those phenomenons that I will never understand. From the dawn of the first ever automobile, there were 2 guys somewhere who pulled up alongside one another and decided to see who could get from point A to point B the fastest. Shortly afterwards, someone decided to try and make his early automobile faster, and from then on, there has always been one simple, non-debatable philosophy that goes hand in hand with automobile performance and speed. In order to go faster, you need A. More power B. Less weight...........So people began modifying their engines, transmissions, etc., and at the same time always trying to find ways to save weight or to remove non-essential parts.

Now fast forward to today, and as has been the case for many decades, the ultimate expression of street legal speed and performance is the supercar. These cars, more than any others must rely on the "more power, less weight" philosophy, and they always have...........Til now!

If you look at supercars such as the Pagani Zonda(now discontinued) or the newer Pagani Huayra(pron. Why-rah), or the awesome Koenigsegg CCX, Ascari A10, the ugly Gumpert Apollo, etc., you see cars that weigh between 2400-3,000lbs. The heavier supercars like the new Lamborghini Aventador weighs 3400lbs, which is heavy compared to the others. But for this price point, and for the amount of money spent to build these cars, there is no excuse to use anything less than the most expensive and lightest materials for construction.

But then there's the Bugatti Veyron...... It weighs 4,400 lbs!!!!! To give you some perspective on how much 4,400 lbs really is, a 1965 Chevy Impala with a V-8 weighs 4,000lbs..... Its all steel, is the size of a tuna barge, and was one of the largest cars of the largest car era in American history! **ON a side note, Its ironic that we are talking about the size and weight of large cars, because the original Bugatti company back about 80 years ago built the wonderful Bugatti Royale which is probably the largest production car ever built, or close to it.

So, how exactly do you want or need to build a supercar that weighs 400lbs more than a 1965 Impala? Did they decide to forgo carbon fiber bodies and magnesium frames, and build them from tungsten carbide instead? Well, since they are soooo expensive and they allegedly lose money on them even though a Veyron SS costs like 2.5 million US dollars, maybe they used platinum for body panels. Its one of the heaviest elements, and its really expensive. Thats would explain both the ridiculous cost and the ridiculous weight at once!

Now, the excuse for such an extremely heavy supercar cannot be that they need that much weight to deal with the high speeds, because the Koenigsegg CCX is about the same size, was run officially only 10mph slower top speed, and is supposedly capable of 260-270 mph right now, and it weighs nearly a full ton less! (1,700 lbs). Actually the Veyron IS a full ton heavier than the Gumpert Apollo!

How can you possibly squeeze an extra 1,700lbs into a car thats roughly the same size as a car that weighs 1,700 less? Whats wrong with this picture?

Nonetheless, since they have also managed to squeeze a big 16cyl engine that pushes over 1,100 hp into it, they have managed to make it the fastest production car by a hair, and its fast on a flat, curvy road course as well, so they have created something special, but how much better could it have been without all the unnecessary weight?(and it is unnecessary!)

Oh yeah, and for the same price as a Veyron SS, you can buy 4 Koenigsegg CCX's! Also, for 1/4th price, Koenigsegg STILL makes money on their supercar, so whats wrong with that picture?:ironic:

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Huge wheels. Huge tires. Big brakes discs and calipers. 10+ radiators maybe? Read: heavy!
Still tho, it might not add up. Oh well, tis fast!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Veyron is the ultimate expression of the automobile. The most luxurious, the fastest, the most expensive.

It's a compromise of many factors. It's "easy" to build a stripped out car that goes 400kph. It's another ball game altogether to build a luxury car that can do the same.

nbp

Flashaholic
It's all-wheel drive which adds a lot of weight and I imagine the whole drivetrain must be built super heavy duty to deal with the horsepower and torque the car produces in its huge heavy engine.

I am sure there are some good articles on the web about this car that would answer your question better than the folks on a flashlight forum.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Fastest car I've ever driven was a friend's 1990 300ZX twin turbo. A good deal of work had been done to that car: some custom suspension, aftermarket boost controller, and the turbos were non-stock as well. I believe it may have put around 400HP to the ground. Lighting up the tires on the highway wasn't a challenge in any gear. It could also spin the tires from a stop in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear.

It by no means stuck to corners and high-speed/high-performance turns were a bit dangerous to the amateur. It also seemed heavy.

Given that it had the largest wheels & tires that one could practically use on it and that it predated (widely-available from the OEM) traction/stability control by more than 10 years, one thing that could have made it a bit more ... predictable ... would be a bit more mass. Would probably hurt performance in some other areas, but would also improve grip.

You've probably watched F1 cars go though a corner and noticed that there are two speed envelopes they can take any one corner within - the lower (non-competitive) speed where mass-limited traction can maintain grip and the higher speed where the aerodynamics provide sufficient downforce to increase grip and they can bounce through the corner.

Given that the Veyron makes its famous 1000HP using a W16 engine and has many exotic features to make it somewhat safe for anyone with the money to operate it full out, it very likely weighs in so heavy for good reason other than inept design. Crash survivability may also play a role in its seemingly heavy mass.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Veyron has Junk in the trunk

..ridiculous car anyway :thumbsdow

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fastest car I've ever driven was a friend's 1990 300ZX twin turbo. A good deal of work had been done to that car: some custom suspension, aftermarket boost controller, and the turbos were non-stock as well. I believe it may have put around 400HP to the ground. Lighting up the tires on the highway wasn't a challenge in any gear. It could also spin the tires from a stop in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear.

It by no means stuck to corners and high-speed/high-performance turns were a bit dangerous to the amateur. It also seemed heavy.

Given that it had the largest wheels & tires that one could practically use on it and that it predated (widely-available from the OEM) traction/stability control by more than 10 years, one thing that could have made it a bit more ... predictable ... would be a bit more mass. Would probably hurt performance in some other areas, but would also improve grip.

You've probably watched F1 cars go though a corner and noticed that there are two speed envelopes they can take any one corner within - the lower (non-competitive) speed where mass-limited traction can maintain grip and the higher speed where the aerodynamics provide sufficient downforce to increase grip and they can bounce through the corner.

Given that the Veyron makes its famous 1000HP using a W16 engine and has many exotic features to make it somewhat safe for anyone with the money to operate it full out, it very likely weighs in so heavy for good reason other than inept design. Crash survivability may also play a role in its seemingly heavy mass.

Yeah, I didnt think ineptitude was the reason for its extra heavy weight, I am just questioning the actual need for that much weight considering that pretty much every other supercar is light weight, and several are capable of about the same performance or close. If the Veyron was 100mph faster and could finish a twisty road course in 30 seconds less time, then the huge difference in performance would probably justify the almost opposite weight philosophy, but these cars are all pretty close for the most part. Look at the Top gear test results of all the cars I listed.

I guess its just a different philosophy than, well, all other performance philosophies. But it seems to work, so....

BTW: Imagine how fast the not yet officially tested/documented Keonigsegg CCXR must be with its 1000+ horsepower, while weighing only 2700lbs!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fun fact: If you drained all the fluids from every part of a Veryon, you would end up with 400 lbs of liquids. That's pretty much how it goes with a marine-use sized engine.

The Koenigsegg would be a good point of comparison because it's also an overpriced car that can't handle - except it drives only the rear wheels. All wheel drive would have been too safe, apparently..

The Aventador is actually 4000 lbs, and two inches wider than a Chevy Suburban; but 0-120 mph in under 9 seconds..

And funny you should mention the Gumpert, as that's the car I'd prefer if I had that kind of money to burn; it takes all the attention Bugatti put into luxury and straight line speed and instead puts it into creating a completely balanced car (and the several-times-more-expensive Veyron can't keep up on the track as a result.)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on my phone, so my post will be short and sweet.

You need to understand the physics behind speed. How much power you need to develop in order to go faster. The faster you want to go, the more power you need, the more power you need, the more engine (+ all that goes with it cooling...) You need to go bigger and thus heavier.

Sure they could have placed that ridiculous engine in a tube frame car and called it a day, Bugatti is synonymous with opulence, they needed to add weight for divert comfort and amenities.

I strongly suggest watching a YouTube video on this car, and compare it to the other cars listed and the philosophies behind them.

Good night,
James

Flashlight Enthusiast
because it is a luxury sofa on wheels, not a bare-bones pelvis-rattling sportscar

you want comfort, silence, and speed, you are gonna add weight.

the Bugatti is an all-day touring supercar.

the others have you begging to get out of them after 1 or 2 hours

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ No way!!
It's nothing more than the ultimate bragging right 'accessory' on the road
for the ever-soft trustfunder.

Get an Audi S6 for fast comfort.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Not sure I understand the confusion. The concern is that BV doesn't make a good production car. But the BV is not a production car. The price/cost ratio tells the story.

This isn't a car, its a demonstration vehicle (literally). The only reason it was even put up for sale is so it could be called a production car. VW wanted to show what could be done, what it (the company) can do.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This isn't a car, its a demonstration vehicle (literally). The only reason it was even put up for sale is so it could be called a production car. VW wanted to show what could be done, would it (the company) can do.
Yep, that says it in a nutshell. If you think about, there is zero practical point in designing a luxury car which is quiet and comfortable and stable at 250 mph. There are exactly zero roads in the world where one can safely and legally cruise at that speed. Even designing the same thing for 125 mph makes little sense outside of Germany. A design speed of 100 mph and no more power than is needed to run at that speed is more than sufficient for normal transportation purposes. The only production ground vehicles which need to be quiet and comfortable and stable at speeds well in excess of 100 mph are high-speed passenger trains. Here of course you're talking hundreds of tons and well over 10,000 HP.

I would think of the Veyron the same way I might think of any other piece of equipment which is gross overkill for its basic purpose. It's a take your pick-(luxury, status symbol, engineering marvel). Nothing wrong with owning it if you can afford it, but it's not going to get you any faster from point A to point B on public roads than any other vehicle. In fact, in NYC I might handily beat a Veyron on my Airborne. In much the same way, in many cases the high-end flashlights which many on this site own will be functionally no better than a $15 model from DX or KD. Unlike the Veyron, however, there may be cases where the extra features of a high-end flashlight may actually be useful in the real world. There's no real-world driving situation which requires you to reach 250 mph, or to accelerate to 100 mph in under 10 seconds.

That being said, I'll bet using exotic materials like carbon fiber to reduce weight, plus a much more aerodynamic outer shell, VW could have made a car with similar acceleration, top speed, comfort, and quiet with less than half the weight and less than half the power. Then again, that would have required investing many millions in tooling, R&D, etc. for what would by definition be a vehicle of very limited sales potential. It boils down to not what VW could have done here if cost was no object, but what they could have done within the constraints of their budget. That meant more or less using conventional materials and design. Make a shell, make it stable at speed, add enough power, beef up the body as needed to handle the extra power, repeat until you're at 250 mph. I'm actually surprised the thing isn't closer to 10,000 pounds.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on my phone, so my post will be short and sweet.

You need to understand the physics behind speed. How much power you need to develop in order to go faster. The faster you want to go, the more power you need, the more power you need, the more engine (+ all that goes with it cooling...) You need to go bigger and thus heavier.

Sure they could have placed that ridiculous engine in a tube frame car and called it a day, Bugatti is synonymous with opulence, they needed to add weight for divert comfort and amenities.

I strongly suggest watching a YouTube video on this car, and compare it to the other cars listed and the philosophies behind them.

Good night,
James

Weight is one of the biggest factors in performance, as important as power. Less weight more power has always been the key to speed. The only reason the Veyron needs as big an engine as it has is because of its excessive weight! Maybe talk to ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about performance cars if you dont yet understand that fact....

As far as wanting to get out of any of the other cars on the list, or the Veyron for that matter...... I wouldnt want to get out of any of them, ever!

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun fact: If you drained all the fluids from every part of a Veryon, you would end up with 400 lbs of liquids. That's pretty much how it goes with a marine-use sized engine.

The Koenigsegg would be a good point of comparison because it's also an overpriced car that can't handle - except it drives only the rear wheels. All wheel drive would have been too safe, apparently..

The Aventador is actually 4000 lbs, and two inches wider than a Chevy Suburban; but 0-120 mph in under 9 seconds..

And funny you should mention the Gumpert, as that's the car I'd prefer if I had that kind of money to burn; it takes all the attention Bugatti put into luxury and straight line speed and instead puts it into creating a completely balanced car (and the several-times-more-expensive Veyron can't keep up on the track as a result.)

The Koenigsegg CCX cant handle?? Really? Here's the track test results including all the cars I mentioned plus many others. This is the Top Gear top 20 results on the same super-twisty flat track, with the same professional racing driver at the wheels: The Ariel Atom V8 really shouldnt count cause its not really even a "car" per se. Its really a go cart! But among the others, the koenigsegg is only .5 seconds slower than the Gumpert and only .8 seconds slower than the Veryron Super Sport at 1:17.6 seconds vs. 1:16.8 seconds. In other words, the CCX is one of the best handling supercars(or cars) of all time... Its actually .5 seconds FASTER than the regular Veyron.

The Power Board

1. 1:15.1 – Ariel Atom 500
  2. 1:16.2 – McLaren MP4-12C
  3. 1:16.5 – Lamborghini Aventador
  4. 1:16.8 – Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
  5. 1:17.1 – Gumpert Apollo S
  6. 1:17.3 – Ascari A10
  7. 1:17.6 – Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear Wing)
  8. 1:17.7 – Noble M600 (cold)
  9. 1:17.8 – Nissan GT-R (2012)
  10. 1:17.8 – Pagani Zonda Roadster F
  11. 1:17.9 – Caterham Seven Superlight R500 (cold)
  12. 1:18.3 – Bugatti Veyron 16.4
  13. 1:18.4 – Pagani Zonda F
  14. 1:18.9 – Maserati MC12
  15. 1:19.0 – Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 SuperVeloce
  16. 1:19.0 – Enzo Ferrari
  17. 1:19.1 – Ferrari 458 Italia
  18. 1:19.5 – Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
  19. 1:19.5 – Porsche 997 GT2
  20. 1:19.5 – Ariel Atom 2 300

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
the koenigsegg is only .5 seconds slower than the Gumpert and only .8 seconds slower than the Veryron Super Sport

Right, but you're forgetting why they had to add the wing - The Stig was unable to keep the CCX on the track without it. The other cars didn't leave the track, and didn't need a wing added.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, but you're forgetting why they had to add the wing - The Stig was unable to keep the CCX on the track without it. The other cars didn't leave the track, and didn't need a wing added.

The Veyron most certainly has a wing! It automatically retracts. So did many/most of the others, so adding a wing to a car that truly needs it isnt unusual.

However, I did see a Mazda from like 1999 with this HUGE wing on the back of it today, and I dont think it needed it!