Help with mod, MCPCB stuck!

low

Enlightened
I want to put a Nichia 219 in a Trustfire, but the board seems glued on with some white stuff. I tried prying it out, but I started bending the housing.

Any advice or tips?

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Trustfire probably used thermal epoxy to put that board there. Try a strong citrus degreaser. It'll probably ruin the current LED, but if you don't care about that...

low

Enlightened
Trustfire probably used thermal epoxy to put that board there. Try a strong citrus degreaser. It'll probably ruin the current LED, but if you don't care about that...

What will that do to my driver if some gets on it?

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
What is the star board glued to? A pill? If you can separate it from the driver, put it on the stove or in a toaster oven and heat it up. The adhesive will soften and release the star board.

low

Enlightened
What is the star board glued to? A pill? If you can separate it from the driver, put it on the stove or in a toaster oven and heat it up. The adhesive will soften and release the star board.

The driver is stuck too, but with the right tool I may be able to pry it out.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Thermal paste and thermal epoxy are different animals. If they used thermal paste, you should be able to dissolve it in alcohol or even heat it up to remove the board. Acetone/strong degreasers are the only things that work on Thermal epoxy, but you'll ruin other things as well. Be sure not to expose the driver to these types of chemicals. You can try heating on epoxy. It's worth a shot. Maybe even freezing it and trying to ship away at it may work.

low

Enlightened
Thermal paste and thermal epoxy are different animals. If they used thermal paste, you should be able to dissolve it in alcohol or even heat it up to remove the board. Acetone/strong degreasers are the only things that work on Thermal epoxy, but you'll ruin other things as well. Be sure not to expose the driver to these types of chemicals. You can try heating on epoxy. It's worth a shot. Maybe even freezing it and trying to ship away at it may work.

I GOT IT OUT!!!

I used steady hard pressure with the right size screwdriver for a wee bit. I saw it had moved a tad so i kept the pressure on and it poped off.

It is not as bright as the Cree R5, but it now has a nice tint.
Thanks guys,

low