Shallow, Floody XML Reflector?

Tiresius

Enlightened
Anyone know where I can find a shallow reflector in 20mm +,- 2mm? I want the option of picking more than one reflector for my upcoming project. I have an MCR20 already.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
You may want to look at Carclo optics. They have wide beams and frosted optics for wide spills without artifacts. Just make sure they work first!

Tiresius

Enlightened
I've never played with optics before. I have no idea about the degree of angle or beam focuses. I'm aiming for flood but don't want to resort to exposed LED+UCL. That frosted 20mm wide one looks very tempting. If worst case, I may need to do what I do not like resorting to.

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
You may want to look at Carclo optics. They have wide beams and frosted optics for wide spills without artifacts. Just make sure they work first!

Is the optics for XML EZW same as T3? The diameter of the bezel is going to be made to fit a 20mm reflector or optic.

EDIT: I have just went ahead and grabbed the 20mm wide frosted and 20mm clear tight optic. Just hoping that they're perfectly round when arrived.

Last edited:

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
just beware that optics are designed around specific LEDs. The Carclo 10003 for example is for XM-L (and supposedly XP-G). They cannot be used (even somewhat) effectively for other LEDs unlike reflectors. Also, the optics come with a "tab" that sticks out one side that allows it to say on the optic "holder" that you may want to purchase as well. Its possible to shave the tab off and find the correct focusing height yourself though. I found that it's easiest using nailclippers since the acrylic is soft soft. And be sure not to touch the optic on the sides too much; the plastic is very prone to scratches.

archer6817j

Enlightened
You could try the Ledil Boom reflectors. They have 3 versions from floody to really floody. You could also add a lens with diffusion film if you want to soften it up some more.

Tiresius

Enlightened
You could try the Ledil Boom reflectors. They have 3 versions from floody to really floody. You could also add a lens with diffusion film if you want to soften it up some more.

I'll pick one up just to test it out. The frosted optic just doesn't produce the warmth the LED produces. The narrow is just ugly no matter how I adjust it.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Did anyone noticed that the XML's clear, narrow optic turns out to be squarish on the spill? The hotspot is perfect like a reflector. I have yet to try the frosted version as I am currently experimenting and scuffing up my clear one :(

Latest posts