Fenix Side Button Durability ?

DonK

Enlightened
I am looking to pick up an LD10 or LD12 as a gift for a friend.

I am thinking that the side button ont eh LD12 is going to be more convenient than fiddling with the rear button to change modes. However, I've not seen any reviews that comment on the durability of this system - how is it going to bein 5 yrs, or with lots of use.

Just wondered if the side button is likely to quit working anytime soon and would appreciate feedback from any owners who've used them heavily.

thanks

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new side switches have been out for less than a year - except on the Fenix TK15. I carry a PD22 every day and am confident that the side switch will last a long time. In my opinion, it will last as long or longer than the rear clicky switch. I am so confident in the reliability of the side switch that I also picked up the PD32 and may pick up a LD12 in the next day or two...

peahi

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

New member here. I purchased a PD22 a few weeks ago, and my side button malfunctioned and the light got stuck in SOS mode. It got stuck after my friend tried to switch modes on it. I believe it may have been pressed too hard, and somehow the switch broke.

In either case, I really like the light, and find it extremely useful at work and off work. I purchased it at REI, where there is a no questions asked lifetime return policy, so there was no fuss walking to the store and getting a new one on the spot.

Hopefully, there will be no more issues! Otherwise, I'm satisfied with my light!

(My old school surefire incandescent E2D, has been relegated to glove compartment duty due to this new light. Damn thing just gets too hot for extended use, so the PD22 will be more useful to me.)

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
I have a ld12 and a e25...dont see any reason that a side switch would wear out any faster than a tail switch. I have had a maglight 3d for twenty plus years with a side switch with no problems.

lightinsky

Enlightened
I've had my Fenix ld22 for a month. No problems at all with the durability of the switch thus far.

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on the new LD side switches, but I have a Tk15 and of my large and growing light collection, this is the only one I have with a side switch and also the ONLY light that's failed me. It doesn't work at all anymore. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is (I've taken great care of it) but there seems to be some issue with the electronics and/or the side switch. It used to flicker on and off with presses of the side switch, or come on really dim and then cut off...all kinds of random light output. Now it just refuses to come on at all. I've troubleshot the heck out of it and aside from faulty electronics or the side switch, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Bummer, because that light was the one that got me hooked on the LEDs. I have purchased many Fenix's after that one and now many other lights from many other brands and I've not had any similar issues with other lights. Still love fenix but annoyed that one crapped out.

If anyone has any similar experiences with the Tk15 I'd love to hear about it. Have searched the forum extensively for similar issues and no one else seems to have reported it (so maybe it's just me!).

For the record, I don't mean to knock side switches since they actually appeal to me (just don't have any others with them).

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I can't comment on the new LD side switches, but I have a Tk15 and of my large and growing light collection, this is the only one I have with a side switch and also the ONLY light that's failed me. It doesn't work at all anymore. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is (I've taken great care of it) but there seems to be some issue with the electronics and/or the side switch. It used to flicker on and off with presses of the side switch, or come on really dim and then cut off...all kinds of random light output. Now it just refuses to come on at all. I've troubleshot the heck out of it and aside from faulty electronics or the side switch, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Bummer, because that light was the one that got me hooked on the LEDs. I have purchased many Fenix's after that one and now many other lights from many other brands and I've not had any similar issues with other lights. Still love fenix but annoyed that one crapped out.

If anyone has any similar experiences with the Tk15 I'd love to hear about it. Have searched the forum extensively for similar issues and no one else seems to have reported it (so maybe it's just me!).

For the record, I don't mean to knock side switches since they actually appeal to me (just don't have any others with them).

Feel free to PM me so we don't derail the thread too much, but I believe you may be suffering from a contact issue in the tail switch. This will very much give the appearance of having a broken light. Take the tailcap off and look inside at the spring. You will see two small notches in the metal on either side of the spring. Use a thin pair of needle nose pliers to match the spacing of the two notches. Turn the piece of metal clockwise (I believe, I always get it mixed up with tail switches for some reason) until it is nice and tight, but not so tight that it can't be undone or that it gets damaged. I believe this may help you. The retaining ring for the switch on the TK15 is reverse threaded from the tailcap. This causes the ring to become loosened by tightening and unscrewing the tailcap to swap out batteries. If you have already done this, then ignore me. As long as you keep that retaining ring nice and snug you should be able to avoid the problem. I usually have to tighten the ring once every 6 months or so and that's the only maintenance I do to my TK15. I, for one, have beat the ever loving crap out of my TK15: it has been dropped while running, dropped while biking very fast, dropped down multiple flights of concrete stairwells, dropped from a second story, dropped by my sergeant onto a tile floor :scowl:, run over by a car on gravel and pavement, dropped in a couple creeks or other standing water, and finally kicked about 40ft once. Still goin' strong.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Now for what I was originally going to say, I have been carrying my LD12 almost everyday for over 3 months now and it has been doing fine. It's starting to get a little worn from constantly being next to keys or a pocket knife, but that's it. The side button has seen a decent amount of pocket abuse from those keys and hasn't even scratched. Nothing real major mind you, but enough to say that the light isn't going to just fall apart.

lightpuppy

Newly Enlightened
I have four fenix lights, three with tail switches and the TK41 with side switches which I prefer.
The only switches I have had trouble with are the side switches on the TK41. The side switchs require a hard push, and are erratic sometimes. It has been this way since new. I finally couldn't stand it any more and returned it for a new one. I'm interested in the TK75 but would like to hear if people are having
positive feel on the switches? I've also had less than good experiences with bike lights that use a
rubber style cover over the micro switches.

Latest posts