My Olight "green beam" M21-X. Return it?

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
Not a bad light, except that the light that comes out of it is green. More green than any of my other flashlights. My other greenish lights are a Four Sevens, and another Olight. Big surprise there.

I am thinking about asking Olight to repair or replace my M21-X. Is this going to be a waste of time? I mean, how helpful is Olight concerning issues like this?

I am still wondering how Olight manages to build "green beam" flashlights. They use Cree XM-L emitters like everyone else. How do thay do it?

Last edited:

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
Same as my Olight i1 SS, very small and bright (with 16340), but also very green :(

Quark 123 TurboX.

I like my Olight I1 a lot (So tiny! So bright!) but it is rather green.

My new M21-X is the most green.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still wondering how Olight manages to build "green beam" flashlights. They use Cree XM-L emitters like everyone else. How do thay do it?

i heard that Olight manufactures 4sevens lights in the same factory something like that. all flashlight factories face the same problem: if CREE emitters are greenish, then the flashlight will have a greenish beam.

if you think that your 4sevens or Olight light is greenish, please cast your vote here:

Poll: Did you ever own a greenish Preon/Mini/Quark/Maelstrom?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Olight Baton S65 was yellow-greenish. My Xeno EO3 Xm-L (cool white version, not neutral) was just fine. My 4Sevens 2AA XM-L was fine also............so you know it's possible to get a good acceptable tint.

I once bought a bunch of Streamlight Stylus Pro C2's and one of them was poor tint. I called factory service and they replaced it for me and then it was good.

It's the risk we take when buying.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not Olights fault your light is green (not entirely anyway.) CREE makes the LED's not Olight, but it is up to Olight what LED's goes into their lights.

I'm finding that most of my lights with the XML (cool white versions) are all somewhat green...some worse than others. It seems to be hit or miss. I own the following with the XML LED in em:

Olight M21X - mildly green, and doesn't bother me much.
Zebralight SC600 - one of the worst GREEN tinted lights I've seen...great light but aweful tint. Got unlucky here.
Zebralight H600 - mostly white, and very nice.
EagleTac M3C4 - mostly white, and very nice.
Quark 123x2 Turbo X - greenish tint, somewhat annoying.
Quark X NEUTRAL AA2 Pro - very very very very very very very nice neutral tint.
Quark X NEUTRAL AA2 Tactical - very very very very very very very nice neutral tint.

I will seek to purchase NEUTRAL tinted lights when possible. I have grown tired of the tint lottery that goes on with lights no matter who the manufacturer is. The source of the problem is with the manufacturer of the LED ---> CREE. Some of their LED's come out close to perfect, and the rest are less than perfect all the way down to awful. Unfortunately it is luck of the draw that determines what you get. Flashlight manufacturers could be more picky about the tint of the LED's that goes into their lights, but this would probably limit the number of lights they'd sell. Zebralight has been known to be picky about (some) of their lights, and I have seen this slow their sales down. It is currently happening with all of their neutral tint lights. They stated that they are waiting on the tint they "like" before making anymore neutral tint lights.

Maybe you can send the light back. Can't hurt to ask the dealer you bought it from.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say return it. If it bothers you already...don`t wait. The only way those involved with the production and manufacturing of expensive lights are going to put out the effort to get things right is if folks start sending a clear message. We don`t like green!

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately it is luck of the draw that determines what you get.
.. it is allowed to return the light for a full refund if one isnt satisfied with the flashlight sample. Because of that nobody has to accept luck. Keep the lights which are nice-tinted, send the lights back which are greenish.

that be a clear message to the dealer and to the manufacturer.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. it is allowed to return the light for a full refund if one isnt satisfied with the flashlight sample. Because of that nobody has to accept luck. Keep the lights which are nice-tinted, send the lights back which are greenish.

that be a clear message to the dealer and to the manufacturer.

Fully Agree!!