How to open KL4 head?

Streak

Enlightened
I have just become the proud new owner of an L4, possibly the first in this part of the world!! It's still daylight here so will have to wait a few more hours before we can really test this baby.

One question, there is a small smudge mark as well as a crumb of something stuck on the inside of the glass. Is there any non destructive way to get into the KL4 to clean the glass?

TIA

Streak

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several posts on this in the modders threads; using a heat gun or placing in a sealed plastic bag in boiling water to soften the locktite or epoxy bond use two strap wrenches to unthread the bezel, remember righty tighty lefty loosey. Pliers can be used but you are risking damaging the HA finish.Thats a shame on the crap in side the reflector assy.QC must have missed that,it is not normal for surefires.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Both the reflective coating on the reflector and the AR coating on the pyrex window are very delicate. Every time i have touched those surfaces, I wish I hadn't! I suggest that there is a good chance that you won't improve matters.

- Don

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Don on this one. If you touch the Pyrex on the inside, you will regret it dearly.

If you should still really want to take care of that. USE AN AIR CAN to blow the debris out. This will ensure you won't get anything else in there while doing this. It will also ensure you won't get any moisture in there.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd leave it alone. When I mess with the KL4, I only unscrew the bottom portion. Don't mess with anything having to do with the reflector. You risk damaging the very delicate reflector. You could try the compressed air.

If you do open it up, do it in the bathroom after having run the hot shower for a few minutes. The steam will greatly reduce air borne particles and prevent something else from getting stuck in there. Just don't touch the reflector with anything.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
If you do open it up, do it in the bathroom after having run the hot shower for a few minutes. The steam will greatly reduce air borne particles and prevent something else from getting stuck in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's incredibly clever. It's so obvious now that you've mentioned it, but I would have never thought of that on my own.

lak

Newly Enlightened
Just a word of caution if you use Air Can or Compressed Air. Make sure you keep the can upright, otherwise it will spill out fluid making a big mess. Even though those fluid would dry up quickly, it will most likely leave a mark on the lens. I would suggest using those camera lens plastic bulb manual blower (don't use the brush though). It is much safer; for the same reason, I would not use Air Can to clean camera lens or mirrors.

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
If you do open it up, do it in the bathroom after having run the hot shower for a few minutes. The steam will greatly reduce air borne particles and prevent something else from getting stuck in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wouldn't this trap moisture, and may cause condensation in future?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a moisture problem, but if it does become a problem, you could always remove the LED/Circuit housing to let it evaporate.

Mednanu

Enlightened
From the earlier descriptions, It doesn't sound like these lenses can be easily de-smudged and it also sounds like just about anything can cause further opacity problems to them. Hence, the Jewler's tweezers are suggested not for the already present smudge, but as the least likely method to further smudge the lens while removing the not so welcome crumb.

[ QUOTE ]
......there is a small smudge mark as well as <font color="blue">a crumb of something</font> stuck on the inside of the glass.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input. Based on the fact that we are so far away from Surefire to organise a replacement and the warnings about causung damage by opening the KL4, I think I will just live with it. I will bother me that it's there because both the crumb and the smudge are quote obvious but I guess it wont really affect the performance.

I have already installed a bare LiIon cell into the L4 and its performing well. I just need to wait and see what happens as the battery begins to run down towards the magical 2.9v mark.