Malkoff        
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Modified TN31

Default Re: Modified TN31

Quote Originally Posted by f22shift View Post
    That's my first reaction. But how do you do it?
    Charge a surcharge for each incremental amount. But what if everyone wants the most output versions. Then there are low performers sitting on inventory holding up capital. These are made to order.
    Maybe it'll work. The deft edc had different price levels..
    One other way of thinking of this is; had you purchased your own unmodded TN-31 and sent it to Michael for tuning and testing the end result would have been the same. The binning is still the same percentage.

guys, let's not complicate this. just be happy with what you get.

I am getting closer to ordering and I am now kicking around how to sell my catapult so I should be jumping in soon.
    Catapult V2 XM-L, ITP-E50, ITP-A3 EOS, TerraLux 220, JetBeam PA-40W, Thrunite TN31 & T10

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    This only works if people are reasonable. Every single light you buy is subject to variations. We are not even talking about leaving the bounds of a single LED bin here. Would you be upset at Cree for supplying you an LED that was at the bottom but still in the allotted bin? When you buy a U2 LED you are not buying an LED binned down to a singular number. There is a range in that bin.

I have made the bold step to supply you guys with information. Name me one other company that is willing to do this. I think this is a good thing as now you know the exact performance of your light and know it has been tested before leaving my hands to assure the light is operating properly. How many companies do you suppose actually test each and every light on a meter? With this exact figure you can then "calibrate" your setup to be in line with mine if you so choose.

What I am doing is exceeding the ANSI guidelines to some degree. They say the quoted figure should be the average of the peak readings from three lights. I too am reporting the average figure which is indeed a very fair way to do this both for the manufacturer and for the end party. It most accurately represents what you might get. I think their(ANSI) allowance of only 3 lights to provide the peak beam data is fundamentally flawed. That is not statistically significant in my experience. It should be at least 10 units tested. I think with the TN-31's figures I tested 13.

The bottom line is that you cannot tell the difference between a 223Kcd light and a 242Kcd one. You just can't. I went outside to see for myself. So the bottom line is this. We can either keep this current method of openness or ditch it and be like everyone else and you never know what you have exactly. I'd be more than happy to dispense with the testing as it just means more work for me.

The other thing we could do is try and make every single light perform exactly the same since that is what "you ordered" and we wouldn't want any variation as then that means someone else has something more than you. But then to accomplish that I will have to raise the price to $1000 to account for the time it would take to, mix and match parts, throw out low binned LEDs, and the constant testing and retesting. Is this what you would prefer? But keep in mind that $1000 would just get you lights that are all the same at about 242Kcd. To get to where all the lights met the highest spec would require massive amounts of testing and throwing away hundreds of LEDs. Expect your light to then cost $2000 or more. And for what? Peace of mind? Because you sure aren't going to actually see a difference with your eyes. Trying to force an unnatural outcome onto a manufacturing process is ridiculous in the extreme.

I have been as honest and open with the figures as I can. I think people in general appreciate this. But if it becomes a problem where people create a fuss over receiving the lower binned lights than we will just put a stop to the testing and openness. What would you guys prefer?
    Hi Michael,

Please keep on the testing & openness.
    Even if I get a lower binned light later, I do want to know the exact spec of my light & show off to the others.

Thanks

Joe

Please keep up with the testing, I think its great!

Thats what you get for to raiseing the bar Michael.Dont let it grind you down.

DON...

More people have certainly received their lights, right?? I'm hoping the weather cooperates so I can take some more pictures from a further distance. This really is a pretty amazing little light!

Enlightened

Post Re: Modified TN31

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Light View Post
    More people have certainly received their lights, right?? I'm hoping the weather cooperates so I can take some more pictures from a further distance. This really is a pretty amazing little light!
    Fresh Light

I certainly agree that "This is a very awesome flashlight". I know what it can do to illuminate up the darkness from far away BUT I don't have the skills to translate what I see to pictures for viewing by all interested CPFers.

laur

In the link I posted above in Reply #105 I added some long distance shots 1036 feet.

About 20 have been shipped thus far and the final of the first batch of 26 go out this week. Ordering more lights to cover the balance today. You will get tracking sent via email once it has shipped.
    Mike,

I sent you a Pm, Is my order in the batch of this 26? If not, can you PM me with estimate of shipping time?

Thanks
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

At long last my TN31 is due to arrive in the Morning.Been a fair wait,3months almost from order and at some cost.
    The true UK cost
    After paying the fees for buying from the USA.Its hardly a suprise people are being put off buying USA goods when you look at the true cost of my TN31.

TN31+MODS $285
    POSTAGE $57
    DUTY & CHARGES $117
    TOTAL COST $459
    When you consider.A TN31 can be bought for less than $140 delivered[none mod].Its one dam expensive piece of kit.

WHO CARES,Its here.Thanks Michael for your help.Cant wait for it to arrive Tomorrow

DON...

Arrived safe and sound.

Thanks again Michael for your help rushing this through.Very Much Appreciated

DON...need it to go Dark now

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DON KIDIK View Post
    Arrived safe and sound.

Thanks again Michael for your help rushing this through.Very Much Appreciated

DON...need it to go Dark now

we will expect beamshots by tonight at the latest !

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been away on vacation for the last week so if you are wondering why you haven't heard from me that is why. More specifically I was in Big Bend Texas with almost zero connectivity. I have a lot of emails to return and will be going through those as quickly as I can. Thanks for understanding.

Well I took delivery of my TN31 yesterday. Waited for dark. Took it out with my DBS Aspheric XRE R2 EZ900 @ 1.5A, Saab's Fandyfire, Saab's smallsun and my M3X. My usual test is a farmhouse that sits 500 meters from where I set up. First off, the Fandyfire is really impressive, I like the build and design, much better than I thought it would be. Then the throw, LOL, makes the M3X not worth owning anymore, I'm gonna sell it for sure. The Fandy's tint is actually very nice too, certainly more neutral, allowing good perception of the colours in the turning leaves for example, browns, greens, yellow, all looking very nice indeed. 500m is an easy distance for the fandyfire, it's one brightly lit farmhouse with lots of spill. The smallsun is also very impressive, great throw for such a small size with a great tint too, but a smaller hot spot.

Then out came the TN31. I had it set up with the olight sr91 diffuser at first and I've got to say this diffuser works great with it, awsome infact, it fits like it was made for the TN31 . Then I took the diffuser off. On max, Holy F**k. Seriously the throw on this thing is unreal. The tint on mine is more of a creamy neutral, again colours look very good outside in real use. The beam is truly incredible, such alot of spill with amazing punch into the distance. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need to find myself a new test area, 500m is way too close now. The hotspot is also very large, way larger than I was expecting.
    Last edited by luminositykilledthecat...; 10-27-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luminositykilledthecat... View Post
    Well I took delivery of my TN31 yesterday. Waited for dark. Took it out with my DBS Aspheric XRE R2 EZ900 @ 1.5A, Saab's Fandyfire, Saab's smallsun and my M3X. My usual test is a farmhouse that sits 500 meters from where I set up. First off, the Fandyfire is really impressive, I like the build and design, much better than I thought it would be. Then the throw, LOL, makes the M3X not worth owning anymore, I'm gonna sell it for sure. The Fandy's tint is actually very nice too, certainly more neutral, allowing good perception of the colours in the turning leaves for example, browns, greens, yellow, all looking very nice indeed. 500m is an easy distance for the fandyfire, it's one brightly lit farmhouse with lots of spill. The smallsun is also very impressive, great throw for such a small size with a great tint too, but a smaller hot spot.

Then out came the TN31. I had it set up with the olight sr91 diffuser at first and I've got to say this diffuser works great with it, awsome infact, it fits like it was made for the TN31 . Then I took the diffuser off. On max, Holy F**k. Seriously the throw on this thing is unreal. The tint on mine is more of a creamy neutral, again colours look very good outside in real use. The beam is truly incredible, such alot of spill with amazing punch into the distance. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need to find myself a new test area, 500m is way too close now. The hotspot is also very large, way larger than I was expecting.

You, don't only have great lights, but also a nice writer too! It makes me want to own one.
    Last edited by tatasal; 10-27-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Enlightened

Smile Re: Modified TN31

Then out came the TN31. I had it set up with the olight sr91 diffuser at first and I've got to say this diffuser works great with it, awesome infact, it fits like it was made for the TN31 . Then I took the diffuser off. On max, Holy F**k. Seriously the throw on this thing is unreal. The tint on mine is more of a creamy neutral, again colours look very good outside in real use. The beam is truly incredible, such alot of spill with amazing punch into the distance. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need to find myself a new test area, 500m is way too close now. The hotspot is also very large, way larger than I was expecting.

luminositykilledthecat

What did saabluster say your Lux value was?? It is on a signed card he includes with each light. My light was listed at 275K Lux and it sounds like you might have matched or exceeded mine.

laur

Quote Originally Posted by laur View Post
    luminositykilledthecat

What did saabluster say your Lux value was?? It is on a signed card he includes with each light. My light was listed at 275K Lux and it sounds like you might have matched or exceeded mine.

laur
    Mine as tested by saabluster is 246Kcd. Temp last night was 0 degrees C (32F) with a measured windchill factor of -3 degrees C (26.6F).
    Last edited by luminositykilledthecat...; 10-27-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been away on vacation for the last week so if you are wondering why you haven't heard from me that is why. More specifically I was in Big Bend Texas with almost zero connectivity. I have a lot of emails to return and will be going through those as quickly as I can. Thanks for understanding.

Looks awesome!! Did you get a chance to get to my PM? Thanks in advance!

Is the TN31 useful at short range with Olight diffuser installed? Obviously using lower modes?

Quote Originally Posted by flat-ray View Post
    Is the TN31 useful at short range with Olight diffuser installed? Obviously using lower modes?
    Absolutely. It's very good at close range in the lower modes even without the diffuser. But the diffuser is a nice addition in my opinion.

Absolutely. It's very good at close range in the lower modes even without the diffuser. But the diffuser is a nice addition in my opinion.
    Are u using the one that fits on the Sr series?

Yes, the Olight SR Series Filters, there is red, green, blue and diffused. They fit the TN31 like a glove.

Yes, the Olight SR Series Filters, there is red, green, blue and diffused. They fit the TN31 like a glove.
    Ok, thanks. I will have to check that out. Does it flood out everything with it on?

Also what one did you get the 90 or 91 filter.
    Last edited by biglights; 10-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.

It's the SR91 Diffuser. It floods the beam out nicely, even on max.

*Flashaholic*

The price on the Stock TN31 just plummeted, probably due to the competitive models now out, etc...does this mean that the price for the modded TN31 might drop when the existing stock TN31's for modification are depleted?

Will there be a way to send in a newly less expensive TN31 to be modded?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The price on the Stock TN31 just plummeted, probably due to the competitive models now out, etc...does this mean that the price for the modded TN31 might drop when the existing stock TN31's for modification are depleted?

its already been stated that he doesnt do drop off mods...

and id say on pricing, dont look a gift horse in the mouth...

Are there any negative implications to running the LED 'dedomed' ? It is domed for a reason, correct? Is there a potential for dust to land on it while running and ruin it?

I'm just curious, and I haven't seen anyone else ask the direct question.

There is a slight drop in lumen output, and the heat dissipation from the led is not quite as good. That is why he spends so much time to ensure that the led is actually cooler than the stock light. The color temperature will change and there may be some artifacts if done improperly. The color temperature isn't that much of an issue here because it makes it a more neutral white, so yes there are some downfalls, but saab has taken the risks for you so that you can just enjoy an amazing light. The dust shouldn't matter, I have actually had a light without the dome get dust on there and it really didn't affect it's performance. I wouldn't go doing it on my own, as it is expensive if you screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post

The price has not dropped for me so I foresee no drop in the price of the modded light. The price you see available now is roughly what I was able to get them at. I think you are correct in your assumption that they lowered the price to the general public because of similar products being released. I have still yet to see a light with comparable performance at a lower price however.

Quote Originally Posted by Azlum View Post
    Are there any negative implications to running the LED 'dedomed' ? It is domed for a reason, correct? Is there a potential for dust to land on it while running and ruin it?

I'm just curious, and I haven't seen anyone else ask the direct question.
    Good questions. Yes dust can cause a "cascade" failure. I am very careful to keep dust out of the inside of the head for that reason. I use compressed air and wipe the lens down with something to remove any electrostatic charge so particles will not adhere to the lens in the short period before I can get the lens in place. Beyond that risk there are no adverse effects to dedoming. Due to the nature of the design of the SmallSun with the head that moves back and forth I deemed it necessary to protect the LED with an AR coated glass window.

The primary reason to dome an LED is for light extraction. For my purposes without has significantly more benefits than with. I have done many many tests to figure out the absolute best way to extract performance and do so sustainably.

I should add that it is for this reason that you should never open the head of one of my lights
    Last edited by saabluster; 11-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Well I'm not gonna be opening the head on mine that's for sure.
    I want to say thanks for such an amazing flashlight, I am so happy with it

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast