F04 Diffuser always falls off

cuester

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I EDC a surefire LX2 with surefires F04 diffuser on it ( I like the wide beam). My only problem is that over time with taking it on and off ( also do volunteer sar work where focused beam does better) it seems to stretch or get loose and no longer stay on. I put electrical tape on the inside of the second one after losing the first and it seemed to hold on a lot better. Recently on a search I noticed partway through the night I somehow/where lost my latest f04 diffuser. Is anyone out there suffering the same problem where over time ( 3-4months) your diffuser no longer stays on you light, and if you are what are you doing to prevent this? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Carefully painting "liquid plastic coating" (like PlastiDip or similar) inside the rim will decrease the inside diameter of the diffuser once it cures.

It seems rather grippy, and at least relatively durable, so it has worked well for me so far ... :twothumbs

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
d2416c69.jpg

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Another option would be an FM54 ... rather expensive and tough to find, though.
I have heard of the rubber caps coming loose before. As for the FM 54 I have been thinking if it is possible to purchase a FM53 and F04 and replace the IR filter with the diffuser. I don't know if it can be done but would be a good project for someone on CPF to give it a go and let us know.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FM54 gives the exact same beam as the F04, but it does add bulk. You probably won't be able to pocket carry it bezel down anymore. I have one on an E2L-AA that I keep by the bed.